VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 02:07:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recover Vista data  (Read 3901 times)
gacurt

« on: August 17, 2008, 11:18:34 am »

My wife's laptop just took a poop, won't boot. Is there a way to recover her data using a live cd? She doesn't back anything up.  I have 5.9 light rc1 on a live cd. If I need to make a live cd with particular programs it is no problem.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 01:19:48 pm »

Yes, I recommend a Live CD which automatically mounts all the filesystems it sees (the VL Live one does not do this, it is a Slackware philosophy thing). Ubuntu will do it.

You can do it with VL Live, but you need to issue an appropriate mount command for NTFS.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 06:28:28 pm »

VL 5.9 Light is not a LiveCD version, but STD does have one: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-STD-LIVE-B1.iso
gacurt

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 07:44:19 pm »

I used mklivecd to get a live light cd. I loaded the live cd and could not access the vista partition at all. I tried a PClinuxOS live cd and was able to se the partitions, but was not able to copy anything out of them. I was able to find a downloadable vista recovery cd at neosmart and was able to get vista somewhat up. saved about half her stuff. Now she has to order an OS disc from gateway as it was not shipped with the computer and it won't reinstall from the recovery partition. She is curently running light final, it's really fast but I believe she will have me reinstall vista. Her reasoning- It was made for vista not linux. I did have a couple problems with light on her gateway laptop, 1- the touchpad: often when moving pointer accross something, it will automatically click it, 2- the realtek wireless won't work- she has to use my belkin usb adapter, 3- couldn't get compiz fusion to work. 1- Will try plugging in amouse and see if that fixes problem. 2- Seems like a common problem. 3- Will have to post on proper thread.   Now how do I get her to keep Vector light on her computer?
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:24:44 pm »

try parted magic or BartPE......I think it work on NTFS and vista too...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: