VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 12:15:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: we need a comm thread  (Read 3748 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« on: August 19, 2008, 01:54:33 am »

Many large fora have threads where you can post whatever's on your mind without instantiating a new thread for every little topic you might care to bring up. I propose this thread as such ... btw, can this be stickied please

I'll kick it off

I was talking with someone from Shanghai earlier again via Skype, one 陈芳芳 (or 'Sophie' if you like). I found out it's not wise to use 'xiao3 jie' (Ms.) to address someone from Guangdong because it has a negative, obscene connotation there. I'll remember that in case I want to get along there, or in case some woman from that province really irritates me. More importantly, I was able to talk about things outside my own narrow pet interests without getting bored, which is pretty unusual and arguably ... positive.

I dreamed about my childhood earlier. It wasn't pleasant. I had the same feeling over overwhelming malaise in that dream that I do when I dream about Hell. I wonder what that means.

I just realized I'm going back to school next week. I invoked a few deities abusively when I found this out and would like to apologize to them here. You know who you are. I have grown to loathe high school++, despite liking a lot of the faculty and a few students. It's my last semester here. One more and I would chew through my arm. Fortunately, I'm taking 19 credits so I should be ... occupied.

I'm a little worried about transfer. I have gotten consistently high grades in computer science and non-major related classes, but I managed to suck at the integration / limit techniques and applications course. It just didn't make sense when I tried to learn in school. I've improved significantly on my own (example) and I am surprised to say that I am getting the same 'feeling' out of calculus that I have out of other disciplines I'm interested in. Like you know how it is when you feel like there are new dendrites forming? The portion of my old notebook I set aside for calculus is now almost full. I always imagined abs. alg. / formal logic would fill up faster. Wonders never cease. It's entirely likely that I will move on to advanced differential equations one semester early. But I was something of a late bloomer and I'm worried that universities will reject my applications because I might appear to be mathematically weak. What am I going to do?

Anyway, good timing, because I have multivariate calculus and data structures and algorithms with the same professor who taught my introductory comp sci course. I was really bored in that class and I passed the time by staring blankly and asking a lot of questions, so I'm pretty sure he hates me. I simply can't afford to suck at calculus anymore.

Over to you...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:23:47 pm »

Well.. I just spun 20 odd live linux cd's on this toshiba satellite 4070 cds with 192 megs ram and 366 mhz and not a one would spin up a desktop and detect the modem...dsl's new one liked the screen but the dialer was not functioning and disappeared when I clicked create account...dingo detected the modem but would only work at 640x..I had intensions of attempting light final but with 2gig I think another drive is in order..it was nice an a 4gig desktop

what would be a good laptop for 5.9 std?
 I seen an acer aspire for cheap in a department store the other day but did not think it was the best choice..is there a brand I may look for that would work out of box or any tips for a vector laptop.I did check linux on laptops but did not find any vector in my search.I like the vector desktop I cobbled together last winter.

I say this as positive end...this box of linux cd's is a bit of waste it appears today and I'm adding to it.

just ending the day.Hmm should I post this somewhere else..or delete it..well..
cheers

Everything Is Relative
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:47:31 pm »

Many Live Linuxes require 512MB RAM to function properly. Basically they load a lot of stuff into RAM that would normally reside on the hard drive, hence the space requirement. So no wonder you had problems with 192megs.

Also many modems on laptops are WinModems, which won't work with Linux anyways as they are crippled hardware, assuming that the MS Windows OS will do some of the work that a proper hardware chip should be doing.

5.9 STD (not live) will run quite happily if installed to the hard drive on a machine as old as P300, 192megs RAM, 5 GB hard drive. It wil run on 128MB of RAM but not happily. I suggest 256MB to have a decent system once you've loaded a browser.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 01:29:23 pm »

well...every word you say is true in my experience..

all my linux installs have been to desktops ..the acer I seen had 2gig ram so that is not issue but vid and snd is built in so works or not right..thus a query as to best bet for laptop...perhaps newer laptops are not an issue...many seem to have ati..some of my older ati cards had little issues.guess at the end of the day it would be nice to just pick up a new laptop clear windows and install vector without any real issues. I like to play with the old desktops but a new laptop is money I would rather not waste. but in the end I guess it is up to me to try it.

this old toshiba is in excellent condition and when I aquire a larger drive thought I may try vl light just because. I have certainly had my moneys worth out of the box of live cd, they just were less than satisfying yesterday

cheers

Everything Is Relative
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 03:14:05 pm »

Also many modems on laptops are WinModems, which won't work with Linux anyways as they are crippled hardware, assuming that the MS Windows OS will do some of the work that a proper hardware chip should be doing.

I hate to contradict you...  but this is not necessarily the case anymore. This laptop has a WinModem in it and it's working.  But not without a bit of work. Start here http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/ and download and run their scanModem script.  It got me going Smiley

Overthere:  I got this Gateway laptop from Best Buy for $360.00 I think?  It was a display model and priced to move. You just have to keep your eyes peeled.  In fact, I had to ask them if they had displays for sale.  I'm very happy with this thing.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 03:16:05 pm by exeterdad » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 04:06:09 pm »

exeterdad..thanks..made a note of the spec..if I see one I will pick it up..likely not for that great price..and bookmarked the modem site..and will keep an eye open..and do a little more research..thanks

cheers

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 04:34:10 pm »

sup thread

I'm back in school

last semester

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 05:25:26 pm »

last semester
YEHA...you will achieve excellence..because you are

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 10:16:43 pm »

Yeah and I found out that Ken Krauss doesn't hate me on Monday which is pretty cool

There's this Indian guy in this data structures and algorithms class named 'Hardick'. How is that possible? And to make matters worse, we discussed asymptotic notation, bringing up O(log n) and O(n log n) frequently

This course in particular should be a cakewalk if I can avoid giggling all the time

Physics might not kill me, strange given that I barely passed it in high school. I'm really not sure how that happened now

Calc III should be alright

I have macroeconomics, too, which should be LOL

And uh ethics and moral problems which should also be LOL. It hasn't even started yet.

Basically I have to really really really kick ass this semester because a GPA of 3.5 isn't good enough. If I don't enter either Lehigh or CMU come the spring, I will almost certainly be able to do so in the autumn. Assuming everything goes according to plan.

It seems my devotion to academics is renewed and now becoming pretty feverish. It seems as course difficulty increases my output actually gets better.

Now I have to figure out how to enter a berserk state before taking tests and I'll be set.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 12:13:45 am »

Alright, I still know next to nothing about iterated function systems but I managed to make something really cool. Green IFS fern with a little blue tinge to make it look more realistic.

I should make dragons or something too.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 07:21:59 pm »

How's this

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

that tree is awesome, how did you do it?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 09:39:37 pm »

I used a short Python program which is very ugly and I won't disclose it here

Briefly the process works by applying several randomly chosen transformations to a point, then plotting it, then repeating the process on the resulting point, etc. thousands of times, such that the transformations converge on a common pattern and don't turn into (completely) random junk.

See more here:

http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/fractals/

It's upper undergraduate / graduate level mathematics and I'm not all there yet, but I know how to apply the techniques, more or less. I find that, as the months go by, I am able to make good on more and more of my ideas.

The coloration came from a probability vector. For example, I rendered the tree so that about 3/4 of the points would be red and 1/4 orange.

This one is even better

In fact, they may have a practical application: there's this girl I work with in the school ESL lab who looks me over every time I walk in and forcibly dragged me over to help her with both hands a few days ago. Since I have clumsy mathematician/programmer hands and can't physically draw art, and speak so little, I wonder what these images can say for me.

I could also drop mad geographical knowledge about her home country. "I have detailed files," and can imitate them, albeit very weakly:

I have a chance to really impress her next week Monday or Tuesday; I'll let you know how it goes if well and if I am silent take it for defeat.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:07:36 pm by Epic Fail Guy » Logged

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 10:55:49 pm »

That last one is indeed the better. I hope they will serve you well Smiley
Some in 1024x768 would be cool Grin

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 12:13:48 am »

I'm too lazy to mess with a new IFS right now but here's a roughly desktop sized variant on the last one

http://i38.tinypic.com/1snza9.png

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: