Author Topic: CUPS and Printing - Problem  (Read 1800 times)

Cocomaan

CUPS and Printing - Problem
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:14:06 pm »
Hey folks, first time posting, hoping to get some help with a problem that has been the bane of my existence for the past month.

My wife and I have two laptops, each running XP Home. I have a homemade desktop running VL 5.8, a gift from my dad when I was too cheap to shell out for XP (I do not regret it!). All three are running through a DLink router with a broadband connection. My wife's laptop is wireless, mine is wired, and the linux box is wired too. 

Here's my problem. I want to have my Linux desktop hooked up to a printer, and have the two laptops print through my linux desktop. Alas, I cannot seem to get it to work. I've fiddled with CUPS, SAMBA and XP for around a month now, and it's driving me insane. I'd love some help. I have had virtually no problems in Linux, and have had a steady learning curve up until this point. Printing has been a nightmare, and I'm thinking of getting a printer with its own IP (forget what that's called) just to avoid the trouble here.

This is my current smb.config. I used SWAT to create it:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2008/08/07 16:51:42

[global]
   workgroup = CAVEMAN
   security = SHARE
   guest account = smbprint
   printcap name = cups
   printing = cups
   print command =
   lpq command = %p
   lprm command =

[printers]
   comment = all printers
   path = /home/smbprint
   create mask = 0700
   guest only = Yes
   guest ok = Yes
   printable = Yes
   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r
   use client driver = No
   browseable = No

I basically tried to follow the directions from here. I think the idea was to have it print off of an "smbprint" account that would not allow browsing. Depending on how I play with the setup, my XP laptop can see the printer, but it will not print off of it. It might "let" me print, but nothing will happen. With that particular setup, windows can't even detect the printer at all.

Here's the drivers I have in CUPS:
hp_deskjet_3500_USB_1 (Default Printer)
   Description: hp deskjet 3500
Printer Driver: HP DeskJet 3520 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: usb://hp/deskjet%203500?serial=TH3591101F7O

I'm not completely sure I'm doing CUPS right either - this may be a driver problem as well, as when I do see the printer on my laptop, it will often say "the host has the incorrect drivers" and attempt to override them. That's why I added the line about client drivers.

So, hope that's enough information. I'm ready to answer any and all questions.

And a second question - has anyone ever had problems with Adobe Acrobat and CUPS? This might be a related question, but I can't seem to get PDF's to print.

PS - I am a real noob when it comes to linux, so speak slowly and wave your hands a lot.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:16:45 pm by Cocomaan »

bigpaws

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: CUPS and Printing - Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 07:16:47 pm »

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 05:21:31 am »
PS - I am a real noob when it comes to linux, so speak slowly and wave your hands a lot.
ROFL!  :D
I like you already.  ;)

Cocomaan

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:07:54 pm »
Hey folks, thanks for the responses!

I'm checking out that site right now.

Lemme tell you, the upside of all this is that I am no longer a total newb with Linux - it forced me to figure out what the heck was going on.

Any idea why PDF's might not print?

Cocomaan

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:40:42 pm »
HOLY CRAP IT WORKED OMFGWTFBBQ  ;D

Thanks folks. I was about to throw my computer out the second story window that it is temptingly close to. You just saved my marriage!  :D just kidding, but I'm really happy that I don't have to worry about this anymore.

Thanks a million.

ETA: And just a suggestion to anyone trying to do the same - don't bother with Samba, just use a postscript driver.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:43:41 pm by Cocomaan »