VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 01:15:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: cd-less upgrade / reinstall of VL  (Read 4257 times)
merl

« on: August 31, 2008, 04:51:04 am »

HI,

First  post.

I installed vector 5.0 on an old sony laptop a couple of years ago and lent it to a friend.
It was quite a pain to install as I have no cd drive and the machine won't boot from USB devices.

I've just got the machine back and think it is time for a reinstall.

What's the easiest way to get it to the latest vector linux version? Is there an easy install route from vector 5.0? I could put it on an old windows XP partition (that won't boot anyway). I have read about tools that help you install from iso but they need grub.

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 07:15:33 am »

On our website, documentation, installation guide....should help you out...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 11:12:39 am »

I have a similar issue with my Toshiba Libretto SS1010 though I do have a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive that works with it.  What I found to be easiest was to take VL and put it on a USB stick and then use vinstall-iso to install it to the hard drive.  That does require an operating system that works in addition to VL.  If you're short on hard drive space you can install a mini-Linux distro like Slitaz or Damn Small Linux and run the installation from there.  A frugal install of Damn Small Linux requires only a little over 50MB of hard disk space.  Add maybe 10MB for safety and your VL scripts and you're good to go.

If you have a USB CD-ROM drive you can use the vinstall-iso script instead.

HTH...

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
merl

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 12:34:59 pm »

On our website, documentation, installation guide....should help you out...

Yup - I found this (I didn't find the install guide first time around)
. This sounds like what I need. Is it really that simple?

4.3 Direct ISO on a Linux Host

If you have another Linux running on the computer, this method will be easy. You need to download the following files into a directory (e.g: /home/download):

* The chosen VectorLinux ISO image file.
    * vlinstall-iso
      Find it as “install/vinstall/vinstall-iso” within the FTP site

Now go to the text console (press Cntrl-Alt-F1) and login as root. Proceed as follows:

* Switch to run level 2 (or 3 in Slackware/Redhat, etc)
      init 2 <enter>
    * Go to the directory where you downloaded the files, i.e.: /home/download
      cd /home/download<enter>
    * Now, install using the ISO file
      ./vinstall-iso vl-5.0.iso <enter>
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:58:17 pm »

I used the direct install method when I installed VL 6 alpha a few weeks ago. I couldn't get my CD-ROM drive to boot the CD (although the CD booted on other computers and it boots commercial bootable CDs without problems). I have three functioning Linux partitions on that computer, so I did the direct install from my VL 5.9 Deluxe partition. No problems.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
merl

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 07:19:22 am »

No problems.
--GrannyGeek

Problems.

I extracted the 5.9 install script from the iso (it is not available on the net  in the places where 5.8's install script lived).

Made a fresh partition and installed.

Right at the end of the install I get "Fatal error: kernel too old".

It turns out (googling on the above error + "vector") that you need to install it _from_ a linux with a 2.6+ kernel.

If I had a linux that new I probably wouldn;t be bothering to install in the first place.

I can't seem to upgrade anything on my vl5.0 since the repo's don't exist any more. I can only boot off a floppy or the HD. No CD no usb possible. Damn small linux with a 2.6 kernel does not fit on a floppy.

Basically the iso install stuff doesn't help in the cases where you really need it.

Sigh.

Is there a simple way...?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 08:19:32 am by merl » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 09:13:17 am »

No, there isn't a simpler way.  However, even after the "kernel too old" error your new installation might be usable.  Mine was.  Did you try to boot into it?

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
merl

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 01:02:03 pm »

No, there isn't a simpler way.  However, even after the "kernel too old" error your new installation might be usable.  Mine was.  Did you try to boot into it?

I tried :-(

Maybe there is still a simpler way. How new does the kernel have to be? Looks like there are linux floppy images with 2.6.something out there. They require a 1.722MB disc. I followed some instructions to get one mounted etc but didn't manage. I'll try on another machine.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 02:11:35 pm »

you can take the kernel and the initrd from 5.9 and put them into your /boot dir and add them to your bootloader
you will have to put the ISO in the root of one of the partitions for the installer to find it after rebooting into it.

HTH,
Uelsk8s
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 10:43:43 pm »

Do you copy the Kernel folder or just the ide or sata kernel to the /boot folder? Also, may I impose on you for guidance on the /grub/menu.lst entries?

Thank you.....

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 05:38:15 am »

you just copy the kernel to the boot folder
Code:
cp VL5.9-STD-Gold.iso /
mount -o loop /VL5.9-STD-Gold.iso /mnt/loop
cp /mnt/loop/isolinux/kernel/sata /boot
cp /mnt/loop/isolinux/initrd.img /boot

then your menu.lst should look something like this

Code:
title  Vector Installer
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/sata root=/dev/ram load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=18000 rw
initrd /boot/initrd.img 
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 08:52:30 pm »

Thank you very much..... Your instructions worked perfectly and I am posting from my IBM 240 now running VL 5.9 Light.....!!!!!

All I can say is 'wow'.....VL5.9 Light is an outstanding match for the 240.....!!!!!

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Anthraxx

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 06:39:20 am »

I'm picking up an eeePC tomorrow, and wanted to get VL running on it. I've been messing around for a while trying to find a way to get the VL iso to run off a USB drive. This seems like the closest I've found, but I haven't been able to replicate your success. Mostly because I'm an epic Linux noob, so I'm operating under Vista to set this up.

I've been able to make a USB drive boot to DOS successfuly. Following the instructions, Direct ISO on a Windows Host, I've got the image sitting on the flash drive, but I don't know where to find these files:
    * loadlin.exe
      Get it from “install/loadlin/” directory within the FTP site.
    * initrd.img
      Find it as “isolinux/initrd.img” within the FTP site
    * The kernel file that matches your system (ide, scsi, sata, adaptec)
      You may select one of them from “isolinux/kernel/” directory within FTP site.

Googling has found several FTPs, where I can find files very similar, but not quite the same as the ones required. If someone could tell me the FTP to find these files, and which kernel I'd use, I'd be forever greatful.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 09:02:17 am »

I think your best bet would be to get them from inside the ISO you are trying to use.
you can use the windows tool isobuster
Anthraxx

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 09:38:31 am »

Great! Thanks, I found loadlin and initrd on the iso. Not too sure about the kernel though. The only one in the folder was sata. I don't know whether the kernel needs to match the USB drive or the drive in the laptop, but I guess I'm okay if it's the laptop drive.

*EDIT* After actually using my brain for a moment, I realised I probably need the kernel for the USB, seeing as the kernel for the destination media will be loaded with the iso. So, could someone help me out with which kernel I'd need for the USB drive?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 09:50:14 am by Anthraxx » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: