Bad bug - just installed to the metal rather than in a VM. When I got to the boot loader config, I selected not to install Lilo (since I have my own Grub setup which I prefer to use). I got a 'success' message (which confused me a bit), and found that the installer had ignored me and overwritten the MBR. After recovering, I tried a second install (I'm nothing if not masochistic...). By deselecting all the suggested menu entries, I got an error message that Lilo failed to install, and this time it didn't overwrite the MBR. Not pretty. That needs to be fixed urgently.
I'm also getting a configuring message - 'configuring unknown vendor lunkonwn device' (spelling errors in the original message). Not sure what it thought it was configuring...
After the first reboot, and the final configuration stages, the system sat for ages. Eventually it went through, but would not start Xfce. I could get into Ldxe, but attempting to load Xfce took me back to the login prompt every time.
I tried another install, which locked up completely after the final (text mode) configuration. Still wouldn't start Xfce.
Wondering if I had a bad CD burn, I tried yet again, this time using the text mode installer. That works - I'm entering this from Xfce in the new alpha. If I'm feeling masochistic later, I may try the GUI installer again, but so far, its worked best in the VM, doesn't work at all well direct to my hardware.