VectorLinux
October 26, 2014, 12:18:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0-alpha2 INSTALLER  (Read 52539 times)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: September 01, 2008, 10:50:52 pm »

Please post bugs and comments about the installer here.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:17:56 am »

This is initial only - installed the new alpha to a VirtualBox VM (under a Zenwalk host).

Installer looks good, though the command line I was given for the earlier alpha (l3 vga=791) didn't work to set the framebuffer mode.

Install seemed pretty slow in places, but that may simply be VB. The honour roll (people concerned with the project) doesn't scroll - gets just past Vec and stays there for the rest of the install).

The progress bar was a bit strange, but again this may be VB.

When entering root password, the confirmation entry was visible as plain text, no stars to conceal the entry.

Other than that, it looks pretty good so far....

I'll create a new partition and try a 'real' install as soon as I can make a bit of space (the laptop is a bit full at the moment - XP Pro, Zenwalk, VL 5.9 Standard, VL5.9 SOHO, VL6.0 dyn7). I need to clear a bit of space, and burn an iso, since I installed direct from the download iso.

paul.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:21:57 am »

I tried using the gui installer on the same machine I used to install the previous alpha.  This time I get as far as the splash screen "Vector Linux" "Loading Gui Installer" and then my monitor goes haywire, like an analog tv during an electrical storm.

The odd thing is I had no such problem in the previous alpha.

My machine is a laptop running a Mobile intel Pentium 4-m cpu 2.2ghz
with i915 Intel Graphics.

I will have to load the old fashion way on the laptop for now.  I will try the gui installer on my desktop instead.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 09:15:05 am »

Bad bug - just installed to the metal rather than in a VM. When I got to the boot loader config, I selected not to install Lilo (since I have my own Grub setup which I prefer to use). I got a 'success' message (which confused me a bit), and found that the installer had ignored me and overwritten the MBR. After recovering, I tried a second install (I'm nothing if not masochistic...). By deselecting all the suggested menu entries, I got an error message that Lilo failed to install, and this time it didn't overwrite the MBR. Not pretty. That needs to be fixed urgently.

I'm also getting a configuring message - 'configuring unknown vendor lunkonwn device' (spelling errors in the original message). Not sure what it thought it was configuring...

After the first reboot, and the final configuration stages, the system sat for ages. Eventually it went through, but would not start Xfce. I could get into Ldxe, but attempting to load Xfce took me back to the login prompt every time.

I tried another install, which locked up completely after the final (text mode) configuration. Still wouldn't start Xfce.

Wondering if I had a bad CD burn, I tried yet again, this time using the text mode installer. That works - I'm entering this from Xfce in the new alpha. If I'm feeling masochistic later, I may try the GUI installer again, but so far, its worked best in the VM, doesn't work at all well direct to my hardware.

paul.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:17:23 am by toothandnail » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 10:17:54 am »

The LILO module is still not handling the "Do not install" option.
it's not coded in yet... so I guess that means forced lilo install for every one this time around Sad

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 06:16:08 pm »

Bad bug - just installed to the metal rather than in a VM. When I got to the boot loader config, I selected not to install Lilo (since I have my own Grub setup which I prefer to use). I got a 'success' message (which confused me a bit), and found that the installer had ignored me and overwritten the MBR. After recovering, I tried a second install (I'm nothing if not masochistic...). By deselecting all the suggested menu entries, I got an error message that Lilo failed to install, and this time it didn't overwrite the MBR. Not pretty. That needs to be fixed urgently.

I'm also getting a configuring message - 'configuring unknown vendor lunkonwn device' (spelling errors in the original message). Not sure what it thought it was configuring...

After the first reboot, and the final configuration stages, the system sat for ages. Eventually it went through, but would not start Xfce. I could get into Ldxe, but attempting to load Xfce took me back to the login prompt every time.

I tried another install, which locked up completely after the final (text mode) configuration. Still wouldn't start Xfce.

Wondering if I had a bad CD burn, I tried yet again, this time using the text mode installer. That works - I'm entering this from Xfce in the new alpha. If I'm feeling masochistic later, I may try the GUI installer again, but so far, its worked best in the VM, doesn't work at all well direct to my hardware.

paul.
After your first reboot (from the CD install) and you do the configuring.. when you get to log in screen, please reboot manually (ctrl+alt+delete  , if need to). You should be able to get into xfce, after that reboot.

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 11:32:37 pm »

I still find the fonts used not easy to read.

On the 3rd part of the installation asking for root password etc the green arrow does not follow anymore the steps to be taken.

Getting the time zone takes too long when one can use only the arrows instead of a scroll bar.

Reentering root password the password is not hidden for the reenter.

Rentering the user password it gave error no mach and then asked for reboot.

Which I did and it then did not go to gui for login. Trying to login as root it gave error.

Rebooted and it went into gui login, however, will not accept root nor user password.

Will have to reinstall.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 12:36:27 am »

Re-installed.

Same as last post. This time user password was accepted, however, from there again went straight for a reboot which again ended in no gui mode and login failed for root and user.

Rebooted, went into gui with failed login.

After re-entering root password which is not hidden installer does not proceed to user entering instead asks again for root password. Klicking Next will go for user password.

BTW I did not install kernel..src which I never do. Will try once more with it.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 08:24:47 am »

After your first reboot (from the CD install) and you do the configuring.. when you get to log in screen, please reboot manually (ctrl+alt+delete  , if need to). You should be able to get into xfce, after that reboot.

Smiley I must have been feeling especially masochistic this afternoon. I reinstalled using the GUI install. First time through, it got to the stage of final configuration (after answering all the config questions), and then just sat there. I suspect that the splash screen just failed to clear, but there seemed to be little I could do other than reboot.

I tried a second time, after removing the 'splash=silent' from the Grub menu entry. That worked, and I was able to get to the login pompt, though it failed to start the GUI login (left me at the console login). I rebooted, and was able to start Xfce from the GUI login. Problem - the quit button only allows logout, restart and shutdown were both grayed out. I tried yet another install using the GUI, got the same results, Installing from the normal text mode doesn't produce this problem - quit from the Xfce menu gets me normal selection of logout, restart and shut down.

paul.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 06:35:04 pm »

I had to use the Direct ISO Install from my 5.9 partition because the CD/DVD combo drive in this computer (1.3 GHz Celeron) has gotten flaky and will no longer boot from a homemade CD. With the Direct Install, I wasn't offered the graphical installer. It goes directly to the text install. That's fine with me but I was hoping to test the graphical installer. I guess I won't be able to do that until I replace the CD/DVD drive, which isn't on my immediate agenda.

Is this section only for comments on the GUI installer? I have a few comments on things that could be better in the text installer but I'm not sure where to post them.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 07:46:43 pm »

Third install using text installer straight from the *.iso on the HD. Just great, everything loud and clear. Why would anybody want a gui installer? In fact when I first installed VL-5.8 I thought it was a gui.

All passwords are accepted and I am posting this from VL-6.0.

Will try another gui install from iso.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 10:17:18 pm »

Made another gui install from the CD including kernel source.

Same problems as mentioned, can't login.

The banner with all those illustrious names on the installer
does not scroll anless clicked right. Stops every now and then and restarts with right click.

Copied /etc/passw and /etc/shadow from VL-5.9 into VL-6.0 and I can login now. Will then report on programs.

On first look the bugs I reported on first aplpha release are still there.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:25:11 pm by Pita » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 11:01:21 pm »

Code:
Why would anybody want a gui installer? In fact when I first installed VL-5.8 I thought it was a gui.
Please be patient with the gui installer this all new code from the ground up and only being chumed out by M0e and Uel and they are learning as they go along. Uel has asked me to put up help wanted for more gambas programmers as it is easy to learn but the more eyes the better. In fact Moe is willing to teach the basics on any irc channel just to get you involved. So if you have ever had an inclination to learn a little programming this would be a great time to dive in as we could sure use the help.

Thanks,
Vec
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 02:32:37 am »

OK tried installing on my old Compaq with the I810 graphic chip with dynamic memory allocation.... to the stage after loading up to the logging on to root prior to the launch of the gui the screen then gives the sort of out of range display, the one that looks like scanning lines and white noise.  Clearly I can't proceed further, so the install is aborted at that point.

So looks a no go so far on that machine. 
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 04:44:04 am »

OK the install on my main machine (*) went OK, though some comments on the installer.

I found if you made an error there was no ability to go back, you were just moved on, ie, I made an error when entering the names of what distribution I wanted loaded by lilo it just skipped the lilo install and did not enable me to go back....

Also the time zone configuration, its a pain having to scroll down through all the entries - the text based installer enabled you to enter the first letter of the time zone and take you to that area of the time zone config list.   

Also confusing dropping back into the text based installer for the configuration stage and then leaving you to run startxfce to get into a desktop first time round rather than a reboot.  However seems to be working well enough when it is loaded. 

I did not try changing partitions, used those already set up, so did not try the partition editor.  Will try to see what I can break and do a number of re installs. 

(*)

-Computer-
Processor      : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
Memory      : 769MB (152MB used)
Operating System      : 5.9 Standard Deluxe built on Dec-16-07
User Name      : lyn (Lyn)
Date/Time      : Thu 04 Sep 2008 01:35:25 PM BST
-Display-
Resolution      : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : GeForce 6100 nForce 405/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
X11 Vendor      : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter      : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
-Input Devices-
 Power Button (FF)
 Power Button (CM)
 Macintosh mouse button emulation
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse
-Printers (CUPS)-
Cups-PDF
Laser      : (Default)