I installed VL6.0-STD-A0.12.iso (finally after 4 failed attempts) on a Toshiba Satellite S2800-100, Celeron 650 MHz, 192 MB ram, Savage S3 video, 30 GB HDD
After all this talk of a GUI installer I thought it would be something like Xubuntu or Kubuntu, (I mean a REAL GUI installer..) but all I got was the same 'DOS Window' looking installer that comes with 5.9.
Was I supposed to enter a special command? Anyway the following comments are regading this 'DOS Window' look installer.
- Keyboard region setup does not work and did not work on the 5.9 installer either. I select Norwegian but I still get US.
- After I type 1. to accept the Keyboard it jumps back to the first menu again but the cursor does not move to the next menu item, looks like I havent set up keyboard. Confusing. I suggest the cursor hops to the next menu item. Plus I agree with another person about the lack of a 'Back' option on some screens.
- I didnt try fdisk as my partitions were already set up
- A lot of 'Optional' install items get listed but some of these are not exactly optional!!! Optional to me means they are not really necessary... You should add more explanation or warnings.
After 3 failed installs I just deselected the Nvidia/ATI drivers and Firefox and proceeded. Then the install went better.
Some of the listed items are badly explained ("TM"
- Same sort of comment with LILO, I skipped this 'optional' step but when I started the PC it got so far then sat and looked at me..
- Then I got asked for Keyboard again (?) Anyway it still doesnt do anything.
- Selected the VESA screen option OK
- Adding Users OK
All in all its a lot of work and light years behind the quality of the Xubuntu or Kubuntu install. I can't see any big improvements since 5.9