VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 12:47:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0-alpha2 INSTALLER  (Read 52785 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

It is real easy to miss and just press next
Guess we need to make it a little more obvious I missed it too.......................... Roll Eyes

lol
Vec
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2008, 04:42:50 am »

Ah, I remember seeing the button and assuming it was in case you wanted to add more than one regular user.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2008, 04:56:21 am »

I could disable the next button until one user account is created.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2008, 05:32:33 am »

Don't like that idea, if someone don't want to add a user at that stage, they should be allowed to continue.

Maybe disable the "Add User" button until something is typed in the name field. It would then draw some attention when activated. When clicked, the fields should clear and button again deactivate.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2008, 05:40:42 am »

@ Nightflier
Your win2k problem is one that I really need help with as I do not have a win2k installation. Is this a FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS partition?
To give you an idea why the installer may have not picked it up... the installer mounts the partition and looks for c:\windows\system32\winver.exe
see if you have that file... of if it's not there, let me know the correct path to this file on your windows partition.

The reason I did that is to eliminate an annoyance of mine where vliloconf would list any FAT or NTFS partition as a win installation, even if it's empty... so I'm trying to pin-point real OS installs here.

That makes sense. W2K, like WinNT, uses c:\winnt as windows root. Yes, there is a file c:\winnt\system32\winver.exe. Filesystem ntfs.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2008, 06:05:21 am »

Don't like that idea, if someone don't want to add a user at that stage, they should be allowed to continue.

Maybe disable the "Add User" button until something is typed in the name field. It would then draw some attention when activated. When clicked, the fields should clear and button again deactivate.

Actually, in a more recent revision, the installer does ask you if you'd like to continue without creating the user account.
Here is what I mean... if you accidentally clicked the "next" button before any user accounts are created, you're prompted with a question asking you if you want to continue without creating any user accounts (YES/NO)

Let me know if this is enough, or if we need something else.

I will code the winnt path to allow winnt detection

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2008, 06:15:07 am »

Actually, in a more recent revision, the installer does ask you if you'd like to continue without creating the user account.
Here is what I mean... if you accidentally clicked the "next" button before any user accounts are created, you're prompted with a question asking you if you want to continue without creating any user accounts (YES/NO)

That will prevent the issue of people continuing without realizing that the user was not created.

Is it feasible to make it so that when the "next" button is clicked, it will only complain if the new user name field is empty? If there is a name entered, grab the info, create a new user and continue?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2008, 06:34:41 am »

You mean create the account by clicking on the next button (if information is present) rather than *requiring* the user to click the "Create account" button?

If this is what you mean... then the answer is yes... it is possible.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2008, 07:18:58 am »

I think if you read the instructions on the adduser module it becomes more clear that you need to cllick that button
it says something like add as many users as you want and when your done click the next button.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2008, 07:33:15 am »

I think if you read the instructions on the adduser module it becomes more clear that you need to cllick that button
it says something like add as many users as you want and when your done click the next button.

And I do think most people *will* read these at least the first time they run the GUI installer, since it's a new thing... rather than simply clicking next every chance they get.

Here what I got now though..
In the event that the user window is left completely blank or with partial information, the installer will prompt wether or not to proceed witout any user accounts at all.
If there is enough information in the form to create the user account, but the "Add user" button was not clicked, the next button will create the account and then move on to the next step.

Let me know if that will do or if we need a different route

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2008, 08:01:34 am »

And I do think most people *will* read these at least the first time they run the GUI installer, since it's a new thing... rather than simply clicking next every chance they get.
I wish I had your faith.

In the event that the user window is left completely blank or with partial information, the installer will prompt wether or not to proceed witout any user accounts at all.
If there is enough information in the form to create the user account, but the "Add user" button was not clicked, the next button will create the account and then move on to the next step.

That is just about perfect. I assume it informs user what was wrong or missing (illegal characters, non-matching passwords), and gives the choice of going back and correcting it, or just press on.

BTW great job, M0E!
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2008, 08:14:49 am »

Ctrl-Alt-Del worked, it came back up to what looked like TUI login, but did not respond to kb input.
At this point you need to hit alt-cntl-f2 to take you to the continued text installation. We haven't figured out how to gracefully change from the gui to the finishing text installer yet without a reboot but going to the second virtual terminal seems to work.
Please keep testing a.022 we need all the feedback we can get!!

Thanks,
Vec

Hmm. With alpha 0.22 I got to the end of the GUI install (box saying complete, do you want to reboot). Did so. Came up to a TUI login, but no X configured and no further installation steps available. Tried a second time, selecting 'no' to the reboot prompt, got an error from the GUI installer, but no further progress.

In the end, I had to revert to the text installer to get 0.22 installed.

paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2008, 09:27:44 am »

I wish I had your faith.

That is just about perfect. I assume it informs user what was wrong or missing (illegal characters, non-matching passwords), and gives the choice of going back and correcting it, or just press on.

BTW great job, M0E!
When creating the the user accounts, the installer checks for illegal characters, and matching passwords... and I think at a point, it even displays a balloon indicating where the problem is. Wink

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2008, 08:36:54 am »

Just installed alpha 0.24, using the GUI installer. A few comments...

Looks good - I like the colour changes and I see that the credits now works.

This time, when the installer fell over at the network configuration stage, when I rebooted, the text-mode installer continued and completed the install.

No sound - the sound card detection/setup was completely skipped. At the end of the text mode stage, I was left at a TUI login prompt. I rebooted and the system went to a GUI login, allowed me in to Xfce without any problems. Even though I had selected a login picture when I set up my normal user account, root had a login picture, my normal user didn't.

Two oddities after the install completed. First, when selecting Quit from the Xfce menu, the only available options was log out - both restart and shut down were grayed out. I hit that same problem the last time I managed to get a GUI install to complete.

Second, and much more serious. even though I had selected HAL, automount didn't work at all.

Still got a way to go, but it gets better all the time...

paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2008, 09:25:43 am »

We are working on that network issue at the moment, there should be a fixed version soon.

FWIW: I just finished installing on a Virtual Machine and here are the results

The GOod:
Installer went fine all out
Network was setup correctly
Chose user icon for user (icon shows up fine in KDM)
system configuration was done on first boot.

The Bad:
KDM did not load on first boot (booted into Text mode)
Translations are still not available in the installer

The Ugly:
The Initrd still doesn't have kool-looking fonts, so some objects on the isntaller dont look like they should
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:16:43 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: