VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 08:47:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0-alpha2 INSTALLER  (Read 53514 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2008, 09:16:09 am »

Please give http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-current/iso-test/VL6.0-STD-A0.25.iso a try.

The gui installer is getting close let us know what you think about it

Uelsk8s
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2008, 01:32:20 pm »

Please give http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-current/iso-test/VL6.0-STD-A0.25.iso a try.

Grin Not bad. Looks a lot cleaner, and the prompts at the end of the GUI portion help. The forced reboot works fine as well.

A few oddities. The network setup gives the option to change the machine name. That part of the routine is broken. It changes the machine name in /etc/HOSTNAME, but doesn't do the job completely (no domain set). It also fails to make any changes to /etc/hosts. As a result, the next time Xfce is started, you get this message:

Code:
Could not look up internet address for t-42vl.
This will prevent Xfce from operating correctly.
It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
t-42vl to the file /etc/hosts on your system.

The only other item I've noticed so far is that, when quitting from Xfce, the only option is log out - both restart and shutdown are grayed out. This has happened every time I've used the GUI install, and only when I've used the GUI. I'll have to see if I can find what has been missed and fix it now, but it is something that needs to be fixed in the GUI install routine.

Other than that, the install is looking pretty good. I'm impressed with one thing - even though there was no prompt to change the keymap, it looks as though the selection made for X is being carried through to the console, since it is also set for UK. Nice....

paul
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2008, 05:03:57 pm »

Uelsk8s

Sorry I've been away and very busy. Work flooded in like a tittle wave.
I am not able to test this .25 because it doesn't get any further than snowy white screen with black bottom saying boot failed, and complaining about the device. I've downloaded this iso several times on different installs, burned again and again and.., (and wasted a good CDr too,  just to make sure). This shows up on real hardware (the same machine I have been using for this).

Update:
             Did one more burn after checking the iso in a VM. It's working now. Only thing I can think of was that earlier it was just too cold for the systems to function properly, or something along that. We're good now though Smiley
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:26:26 pm by Masta » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2008, 06:00:44 am »

A few oddities. The network setup gives the option to change the machine name. That part of the routine is broken. It changes the machine name in /etc/HOSTNAME, but doesn't do the job completely (no domain set). It also fails to make any changes to /etc/hosts. As a result, the next time Xfce is started, you get this message:

Code:
Could not look up internet address for t-42vl.
This will prevent Xfce from operating correctly.
It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
t-42vl to the file /etc/hosts on your system.

The only other item I've noticed so far is that, when quitting from Xfce, the only option is log out - both restart and shutdown are grayed out. This has happened every time I've used the GUI install, and only when I've used the GUI. I'll have to see if I can find what has been missed and fix it now, but it is something that needs to be fixed in the GUI install routine.

I need help figuring out what all I need to do to make this work... All I read from the old script was that it sets /etc/hostname.
Thanks for testing and reporting... we'll get it fixed Wink

vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2008, 07:40:04 am »

Bonjour!
Just Grabed http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-current/iso-test/VL6.0-STD-A0.25.iso ,installed on an old sharp Mebius PC-GP10-BM( pro Savage KN133 chipsets MB, athlon Xp1500+ cpu, 256 M ram) laptop,
installation process went smoothly, afterwards booting into Xfce fast.......a bit Success.
Then desktop system gets hung/freeze from time to time(even no response from "ctrl+alt+Backspace/del"at all), Still can't figure out why,always have to press power switch to restart VL6.0alpha25  again and again.
any fixing commands for system freeze?

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2008, 07:33:05 am »

Just installed alpha 0.28. A few observations...

Install goes fine until it requests the restart. At that point, it errors and I had to restart from the installer toolbar.

Changes to the network setup do part of the job. Still missing a bit though. Machine name in both /etc/HOSTNAME and /etc/hosts are both changed, but the domain fields are left empty. It needs to prompt for both machine name and domain information. That used to be the way VasmCC worked in 5.9 Standard.

Not a problem, just different. Using the TUI installer, /mnt has a 'win' directory created. It isn't created when the GUI installer is used.

Also, same problem I mentioned last time. When installed using the GUI installer, the Xfce quit dialog has both shutdown and restart options grayed out. Only log out is available. Installed from TUI, all three options are available.

Almost there.....

paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2008, 08:46:03 am »

Almost there indeed...

Just fixed the problem with the restart issue

I'm not sure I fully understand the issue with the domain information.

My /etc/hosts only has 2 uncommented lines
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 BlackBox BlackBox
Of couse, "BlackBox" is my hostname in /etc/ HOSTNAME also.

The GUI isntaller will create the necessary directories if you tell it you want to mount win partitions at boot. It let's you choose which dirctory to mount them too (defaults to /mnt/<dev address>)

And I have no clue as to why the XFCE quit dialog problem.

Help

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2008, 01:07:49 pm »

Almost there indeed...

Just fixed the problem with the restart issue

Smiley Great....

I'm not sure I fully understand the issue with the domain information.

My /etc/hosts only has 2 uncommented lines
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 BlackBox BlackBox
Of couse, "BlackBox" is my hostname in /etc/ HOSTNAME also.

Hosts should look like this:

Code:
127.0.0.1   t-42vl.ibmpeers.net t-42v

And HOSTNAME should have this form:

Code:
t-42vl.ibmpeers.net

I'll try another reinstall and see if I can enter both machine name and domain name. If so, it may simply be a matter of making the prompt clearer.

If its left untouched (which it will be using the TUI install, since in the alphas at least, it is jumping past the network setup stage), it defaults to vector.linux.net (if I'm remembering correctly....)

The GUI isntaller will create the necessary directories if you tell it you want to mount win partitions at boot. It let's you choose which dirctory to mount them too (defaults to /mnt/<dev address>)

No problem. It just seemed a bit odd - TUI install creates /mnt/win, but GUI install doesn't.

And I have no clue as to why the XFCE quit dialog problem.

Help

Grin Sorry. I'm wondering about something like a difference in the way /etc/sudoers is set up, since so far as I know, that would be what controls who can access the shutdown command. But I can see no reason that should be any different when run from TUI or GUI install. I'll try another couple of installs in the next couple of days and see if I can spot what the difference is between the two install types. Let you know if I find anything.

paul
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2008, 02:35:25 pm »

I think I have squashed the bug with the hostname/domain.

we're down to the xfce problem (Uel is working on that)

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2008, 03:58:33 pm »

This one was easy once I started looking.
We just need to add the user to the "users" group
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2008, 03:59:55 pm »

I think I have squashed the bug with the hostname/domain.

I tried entering the full machine name/domain name in the GUI, which almost worked - ended up with HOSTNAME correct, but the hosts entry was incorrect:

Code:
127.0.0.1     t-42vl.ibmpeers.net     t-42vl.ibmpeers.net

Using Vasm > Super > Network > Netconf gives the correct result:

Code:
127.0.0.1   t-42vl.ibmpeers.net t-42vl

Smiley Just in case....

Good luck. I've had a look at /etc/sudoers, its identical between either TUI or GUI install. I've done a bit of searching, but so far, I've got no idea what is different. Don't know enough about how Xfce works, I guess.

Looks as though its pretty close though.

paul.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2008, 01:28:38 am »

Just finished running this installer on my hp machine.  Here are some of my findings.

Really like the improvement to the look.
Choose language, find media, used existing partitions all was smooth and intuitive.

I choose sda6 as root and sda1 as swap and went to the lilo portion of the set up.

Lilo saw my VL 5.9 partition (sda2) and my Zenwalk partition (sda5) but it did not see my Linuxmint on sda7

I tried to change the names of the 3 partitions but lilo returned an error saying
Fatal: open/boot/tamu/initrd-sda5: no such file or directory Failed.

So I did not include it and continued.

(Also the new lilo boots awfully fast.  Really have to be on the alert to make a selection at boot time.)

Choose to use picture ID (thought this was a cool feature), picked the frog by the way.

Changed name of computer on this page as well.  This seems to have generated an error later on but I see that is already being discussed.

Installer then asked me to reboot.  I said yes, but I don't remember there being a reminder to take the disk out of the drive.  If there isn't maybe there could be?  Could save someone a headache down the road.

Started up with a lets continue message and all was familiar from there on.

I'll give you some more on tues/wed.  I have the days off and four more computers I can try this on.

Oh, was there supposed to be some option where I could have chosen gnome during set up.  If so I missed it totally.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2008, 08:21:22 am »

we are moving fast now.
Please give http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-current/iso-test/VL6.0-STD-A0.31.iso a try.
all the installer bugs reported so far should be fixed in this one.
Let us know how this one works for you

Uelsk8s
jasse

« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2008, 11:01:52 am »

WARNING: I have never used Linux before but poked around some BSD's and Solaris. Just a little.

Anyway, I just downloaded and installed "VL6.0-STD-A0.31.iso" on an ACER Aspire One AOA150 (with Swedish keyboard)
Seems to work fine, not that I have done anything substancial yet.

But installing on this machine was tricky, mostly because the screen i kinda small (1024x600).
The GUI installer uses way to big font, so I could only reach some of the options.

(This will make it somewhat annoying to fix manually, but I'm exercising free will here)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2008, 11:11:36 am »

Jasse's comment about font size applies to older machines as well.  VL Std will run acceptably on some machines that can't do better than 800x600.  Some means of adjusting font size might be appropriate or just a smaller display area for critical bits.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: