VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 06:49:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0-alpha2 INSTALLER  (Read 52740 times)
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2008, 01:22:34 pm »

Because of the [26] Division by zero error I have had to complete install using the text installer.
Results on machine 1.
Processor   Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.20GHz
     Memory   493MB (174MB used)
     OpenGL Renderer   Mesa GLX Indirect
     Audio Adapter   ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
     IDE Disks
     IC25N020ATCS04-0   
     QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW-241   

The good...
There is really a lot of 'good' considering it's still alpha.

The bad....( I imagine this will happen with the gui installer as well)
Hardware detection does not see my cd-rw/dvd-rom.  This worked fine in VL 5.9 standard.
Ran a cd-set scan via vasmCC and it says IDe CD-ROM drive could not be found

Can confirm that cd-rw/dvd-rom does not set-up with gui installer either, for this machine.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2008, 07:13:53 pm »

New iso: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-current/iso-test/VL6.0-STD-A0.34.iso
A bit of a warning, LILO isnt working in this one. You will have to either 1)edit /mnt/target/etc/lilo.conf from a terminal in the installer iso or 2)dont install lilo, boot from the cd, and run vliloconf.
We should have another ISO this weekend with lilo fixed.

The division by zero error should be fixed.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2008, 12:16:21 am »

Couldn't get past the network configuration bit... pressing "Next" didn't do a thing. Pressed "Exit" and then menu > reboot.
But maybe that's that supposed to happen with this iso? (haven't tried rebooting into the installed system yet)

Everything working great up to that point and looking very nice!
(except for the end of several words disappearing at the border of tabs)

Thank you!
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2008, 12:38:29 am »

The division by zero error should be fixed.

Seems fixed to me. Installed on two machines both of with failed because of the division by zero error before and no problem.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2008, 01:24:35 am »

Couldn't get past the network configuration bit... pressing "Next" didn't do a thing. Pressed "Exit" and then menu > reboot.
But maybe that's that supposed to happen with this iso? (haven't tried rebooting into the installed system yet)

I've had this before as well.  It seems to happen when something is not entered correctly during user set-up. 

For example is I am creating a user and mistakenly put a capital in may user name, I will get a warning and I go back to fix it, but I will not be able to move forward from network configuration, after I go back and fix it. 

It seems to be the going back that causes this.  If I ignore the warning and continue forward the system will pass network configuration but will not make the user and only will show root at log in.

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2008, 04:10:23 am »

It seems to be the going back that causes this.

That seems to fit. I think I pressed "Back" at some point to test it.
Will give it another try.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2008, 04:07:55 pm »

It seems to be the going back that causes this.

That seems to fit. I think I pressed "Back" at some point to test it.
Will give it another try.

I've hit the same problem. If you use back, you will get stuck once you get to the page on which you pressed back ( Smiley if that makes sense....).

paul
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2008, 04:16:24 pm »

Just installed using alpha 0.34. I've already mentioned the problem I've had with a user being created, but not having a home directory set up. I've managed to narrow it down a bit, which may help tracking the problem.

I have a 6 GB partition reserved for the alpha /. I also have a 42 GB partition that I use for home. During the install, I selected /dev/hda12 as /, selected xfs as the file system. Then selected /dev/hda7 as /home, selected not to format. Installed. Same problem - user exists, but there is no home directory for that user. I can fix it by logging in as root, removing the user with Vasm, then using Vasm to recreate the user. Not a good option....

As an experiment, I reinstalled 0.34, but this time only selected /dev/hda12 as root, and left /home to be part of the / partition. No problem with the user - created ok, and this time, the home directory has also been created and populated. I'm also getting the picture I selected as a login picture correctly, instead of the default image I was getting when home was on its own partition. This problem does not occur with the TUI installer, so there is something in the GUI which, while it picks up the /home partition and puts the correct entry for it into /etc/fstab, is not using it during the install.

Sound on this box is provided by an Intel IHC4 chipset. While sound is now being configured, it is coming through in Xfce as 'default' instead of the IHC4 option, which means that it doesn't work correctly without using the settings manager to change.

Those two problems are the only remaining ones for me in the GUI installer - everything else now seems to be working. Oh, sorry, with the exception of using the back button during install - that still stalls the process for me.

paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2008, 05:11:56 pm »

you may have indeed found a bug. My guess is that i left out the code to mount the  /home partition. I will get it fixed

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2008, 12:15:34 pm »

I've hit the same problem. If you use back, you will get stuck once you get to the page on which you pressed back

That seems to be the case. Fits with what I did.

A couple more minor points regarding the installer:

1. I think it would be useful to have a list of users that have been created so far in the user configuration screen, instead of just the message. It's useful to keep track of things, especially if after you hit next, you want to go back to add more users.
2. Network configuration said status "Unplugged", even though the cable was plugged in.
3. The user config. screen shows a little red ball on the sidebar, even after the installer has gone to the next stage.
4. I think I asked it to install xine, but can't find it. Perhaps only xine-lib is installed, but not a frontend?

Thank you!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2008, 08:05:38 am »

A0.34:

Install completed without errors (ignoring reported LILO issue).

The windows handling LILO messages grow very tall when there are several boot options/and or messages. The "OK" button is halfway off-screen (1280x800 rez). Text also extends beyond lower limit of window, adding a scroll bar would be helpful.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:26:38 am by nightflier » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2008, 08:43:44 am »

A0.34:

Install completed without errors (ignoring reported LILO issue).

The windows handling LILO messages grow very tall when there are several boot options/and or messages. The "OK" button is halfway off-screen (1280x800 rez). Text also extends beyond lower limit of window, adding a scroll bar would be helpful.

yeah... that's a left-over debug message in there.. it'll be removed

gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

You need to put in the latest firmware for the ipw3945 wireless. The one you have in 6.0 doesn't cut it. The new one (iwlwifi-3945-1.ucode) does.

Sorry...wrong thread....thought I was in the product thread
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 03:12:02 pm by gamfa » Logged

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2008, 08:27:07 pm »

OK everyone new ISO is out: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-STD-A0.37.iso
This will be the last Alpha before Beta1 comes out in a couple days.

Please help find any bugs left, and shape the next Standard release.

Uelsk8s
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2008, 12:15:41 am »

Installed...........the installer is looking real good only thing i noticed was the frame around the installed users was a bit off..............just a note for M0E ............ Smiley Lilo works.............yaaay we are on are way to beta ville. Please everyone install this give a hard look and help us shape what should be a historic 6.0 release!!!!

Cheers,
Vec

ps a big thank you to M0E for countless hours of code writing on this and to Uel for major contributions to the code and providing us with those fresh iso's almost daily. This makes me a real proud papa to see people in all areas of Vectors ongoing development devote so much time to make a better Vector for all of us.............thank you to everyone .......this is indeed a wonderful community we have here!!!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: