VectorLinux
October 26, 2014, 12:15:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0-alpha2 INSTALLER  (Read 52538 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2008, 05:52:47 am »

I'm downloading the ISO now to run a test and fix that frame.
We are about to enter code freeze status on the installer, so we need bug reports as well as translations for the installer.

I'd like to invite every user whose native language is not English, to please help us translate this project into your native tongue.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2008, 08:24:31 am »

A0.37.

Test one; laptop, 1280x800 LCD, Intel video, sda1=w2k, sda2=swap, sda3,5,7=vl, sda8=xfs storage, sda6=install target
Install method: burned CDRW.

When selecting "Full" install:
- division by zero at point of initial file copying

When selecting "Custom" and all:
- Windows 2000 on /dev/sda1 (c:\winnt) not detected
- LILO failed:
  Fatal: open /boot/vmlinuz-sda6: No such file or directory
- Create User Accounts:
  Box right of input fields covers text above it
- NIC shows unplugged with cable inserted and light illuminated

When running vliloconf after install:
- Cannot find kernel (vmlinuz). Aborting LILO install
  there is no vmlinuz-2.6.26.8 in /boot
  copying it from CD to hard drive solved problem

Test two; desktop, 19" CRT, nV GF 5200, hda1,2,5=vl, hda3=swap, hda6=xfs storage, hdb1=install target
Install method: hosted ISO using "installer.gambas" from googlecode, rev 313.

No problems, except the "NIC unplugged" issue.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2008, 08:43:42 am »

AO.37

Lilo now sees my xubuntu partition as Debian-sda1 but gives this error when hitting next on Lilo screen.

Warning: LBA-32 addressing assumed
Reding boot sector from /dev/sda
Warning :  Unable to determine wideo adapter in use in  the present system.
Calling map_insert _data
Mapping bitmap file /boot/bitmap/boot.bmp -> std.bmp
WarningL Video adapter does not support Vesa Bios extensions needed for
display of 256 colors. Boot loader will fall back to text only operation.

Boot image: /boot/tau/vmlinuz-sda1
Mapping Ram disk /boot/tamu/initrd-sda1
Fatal: open /boot/tamu/initrd-sda1: No such file or directory
Failed.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2008, 08:57:15 am »

AO.37

Lilo now sees my xubuntu partition as Debian-sda1 but gives this error when hitting next on Lilo screen.

Warning: LBA-32 addressing assumed
Reding boot sector from /dev/sda
Warning :  Unable to determine wideo adapter in use in  the present system.
Calling map_insert _data
Mapping bitmap file /boot/bitmap/boot.bmp -> std.bmp
WarningL Video adapter does not support Vesa Bios extensions needed for
display of 256 colors. Boot loader will fall back to text only operation.

Boot image: /boot/tau/vmlinuz-sda1
Mapping Ram disk /boot/tamu/initrd-sda1
Fatal: open /boot/tamu/initrd-sda1: No such file or directory
Failed.

It's good to see progress.

would you try again, and this time on the lilo screen, go to your Debian-sda1 tab and look right next to the Label box, there is a dropdown that should list the initrd options. Can you post the contents of that list?

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2008, 09:03:59 am »

@ Nightflyer

The problem with the box of user names is fixed now (later revision)
- I still can't believe your win2k is not getting detected. It has worked for me and uel during the testing process.
  I am adding more liberal detection rules to see if we can catch this
- NIC status as "unplugged" is fixed
- Not sure why your kernels didn't get installed... did you get any other error messages before the configuration stage?

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2008, 09:23:58 am »

AO.37
There is a box on the Create User Accounts Screen that I believe is to list user accounts created. WC's suggestion I believe.
The title above the box "User Accounts" is barely visible as the majority of it is covered by the box itself.

re: previous lilo problem...
would you try again, and this time on the lilo screen, go to your Debian-sda1 tab and look right next to the Label box, there is a dropdown that should list the initrd options. Can you post the contents of that list?
contents of list...
initrd
initrd.img
initrd.img.old

I didn't see that at all first time. Choose initrd.img and lilo set up fine.
Oh, by the way it's ubuntu on the partition not xubuntu.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2008, 09:24:35 am »

- I still can't believe your win2k is not getting detected. It has worked for me and uel during the testing process.
Anything you want me to try in that regard?

- Not sure why your kernels didn't get installed... did you get any other error messages before the configuration stage?
None, but isn't my issue similar to stretchedthin's above?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2008, 09:41:53 am »

Anything you want me to try in that regard?

None, but isn't my issue similar to stretchedthin's above?
no, your issue is different.
the default kernel should be always installed.
can you try burning again, I would suspect the cdrw.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2008, 10:10:04 am »

I would suspect the cdrw.

Agreed. I cleaned it off (soft clean cloth, using radial motions.. Wink ), next install successful.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2008, 10:37:36 am »

I would suspect the cdrw.

Agreed. I cleaned it off (soft clean cloth, using radial motions.. Wink ), next install successful.

Alright!

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2008, 10:43:13 am »

New test on laptop, using hosted routine and installer.gambas (rev 313):

At point where it detects installable media, several ISO's plus a CD in drive is detected. If I hit "Search again", it will only show the CD. I remove the CD and search again. Now nothing shows up.

Starting over, using ISO on hard drive, I chose NOT to check the box to search for windows installations. This time it did find my W2K on sda1 and added it to boot menu  Grin

At several points during the install, when the system is busy, it does not respond to clicking "Next". Waiting for things to settle down is the answer, but an impatient user with a slow computer may conclude the system has become unresponsive.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2008, 11:00:51 am »

So let me get this right... you choose not to mount your windows partitions (during partition selection)
or are you talking about the lilo setup window where you choose to include/exclude this OS from the boot menu?

The next button is disabled while the system is working. This is to prevent accidental double-clicks and just moving too fast
that was a feature request maybe considered an intentional bug I dont know

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2008, 12:44:13 pm »

So let me get this right... you choose not to mount your windows partitions (during partition selection)
That is the screen I was referring to. However, I was wrong thinking it was what I did different with that checkbox that made the difference. After several more tests for LILO/W2K:  Hosted install using rev 313 does find and add Windows to boot menu in either case. It is either the newer installer, or the install method, that makes a difference.

Back to the above mentioned screen. If I check that box for "detecting and automounting.." and click "Next", it reports "No Windows partitions detected", even when sda1 is NTFS. It does not get automounted.

The next button is disabled while the system is working. This is to prevent accidental double-clicks and just moving too fast
that was a feature request maybe considered an intentional bug I dont know
I think this is a great idea. However, it seems like it often doesn't take the initial clicks. The button is not greyed out, it responds to first click almost like it starts to be depressed and then changes it's mind. Subsequent clicks don't do anything unless I move the cursor some distance first.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2008, 12:59:50 pm »

I think I've narrowed your problem with windows down to a missing ntfs-3g in the ISO. All development is of course done on a full install where all these tools are available.

Uelsk8s is working on getting that into the ISO to ensure windows partitions are handled correctly during install. This would explain why you see no windows partitions if you try to set them for auto-mounting.

The issue with the next button is more of an annoyance that I've noticed for a long time. On some steps it may appear as if the button is inactive, but the truth is, there is a lot going on in the background.
Another posibility might be the way the gambas gtk component is written (can't do anything there).

Keep them reports coming

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2008, 01:19:34 pm »

0.37 ( Smiley which thinks it is 0.36).

Towards the end of the install, it came up with a failure (couldn't install jre). Not a major problem - may be a bad burn, since I was in a hurry and the current version of Brasero doesn't like the LG CD burner in my other machine - it would be useful if md5sums were available for these builds...). Anyhow, the problem is much more the error handling, or lack of it.

I got a popup saying that the jre install had failed and the install would stop. Now I have an installer that is doing absolutely nothing. No arrows are active, and all that is happening is the credits have continued scrolling.

The GUI installer really needs a media checking option, and it needs some improvements in error handling.

I'll try a fresh burn tomorrow and see if I can get it through the install...

paul.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  

Jump to: