0.37 was a bad burn the first time through. Copied the iso to a USB drive and burnt it on the laptop and it now works.
First problem. When I got to the user configuration, there is an empty, rectangular box to the right of the entry fields for the user. It seems to be partially covering some text, but I couldn't determine what the text said.
I wanted to reuse the user that I created for testing the alphas, so I entered the details for that user. And promptly hit an error:
This applicatino has raided an unexpected errro and must abort.
 File already exists.
While using the same user name has some risks, this response really isn't useful at all. On retry, I selected a new user name and the install completed.
Another matter. I don't use Lilo, so I've not taken a lot of notice of it in earlier installs. But I did take a look before I disabled it. And its giving some strange results on my laptop.
I've got XP installed on hda1, the os/2 boot manager on hda2, a small ext2 partition on hda6 (/boot for Zenwalk), /home (shared) on hda7, Zenwalk 5.2 / on hda8, Vector 5.9 Standard on hda9, Vector 5.9 SOHO on hda10, Vector 6.0 alpha on hda11, OpenSUSE (well, not any more, accidentally overwrote it with a Vector alpha) on hda12, Zenwalk 5.4 alpha on hda13.
Of those operating systems, the Lilo install didn't see Windows at all, didn't pick up the /boot partition for Zenwalk (which is also used for my single Grub install), and didn't pick up Zenwalk 5.4 alpha on hda13. Before I killed the OpenSUSE install, it was being seen as Slackware 12.
I forgot to check on the problems I was seeing with attempting to go back during the install and then stalling. I'll try another install later and see if that problem still occurs.