VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 02:06:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0-alpha2- PRODUCT  (Read 41829 times)
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2008, 10:18:18 am »

immediately Just add the line "VideoRam 4096"  to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, now my sharp laptop doesn't get hang /locked under xfce4 up till now, almost 3.5 hrs already........

after 4hrs, X  got hang again......
now set VideoRam to 8192  , ie:"VideoRam 8192"  to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
cpu load get abit down, 3-5%......
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2008, 11:22:47 am »

Bon soiree!
Savage Driver  locked Mouse and keyboard  on xfce4 again(Savage bugs ), xfce manager's cpu load indicator still moving  swiftly(although only 30--35% cpu load, S3-VIA twsiterK==taiwanese/chinese manufacturers made/designed crap chip), had to press power switch again.........

Do Remeber to include Flashplayer10 plugins into next alpha release VL6.0!

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2008, 12:00:15 pm »

Will these be fixed soon?

Alt-F2 still does not bring up the Run... box.

CUPS has problems. It does print fine with my LJ4 PostScript printer. However, when I try to print a test page with LJ4 PCL and with my Epson and Lexmark inkjets, I get a
Unsupported format 'application/postscript'

I installed Ghostscript, gv, and Foomatic filters with Gslapt. Didn't help. I logged out after I made the changes but I didn't stop and restart the CUPS or other printing services. I can never remember the commands to do that. (By the way, if VectorLinux wants to improve ease of use, it would be good to have some GUI way to start and stop services, daemons, etc, or at least something that didn't require users to remember the commands.)

I did Google on the error message but I couldn't find a solution that worked.

I *really* need to be able to print in order to give alphas and betas a good workout. So could we please have a CUPS that works sooner rather than later?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2008, 10:44:22 am »

Bon soiree!

now Turned off ACPI in vasm(hardware init configrator), no more X hang at last for last 6hrs.....(a bug when VIA chipsets MB working together with amd Athlon/duron cpu.)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2008, 12:02:45 pm »

By the way, if VectorLinux wants to improve ease of use, it would be good to have some GUI way to start and stop services, daemons, etc, or at least something that didn't require users to remember the commands.

vasm / SERVICE / SERVSET

Not the most intuitive thing in the world, but it starts and stops them. The settings stay set the way you leave them for subsequent reboots though.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2008, 12:17:01 pm »

Gslapt should get a "vsuper" command added to its desktop file. (alpha-0.34)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2008, 09:46:54 pm »

By the way, if VectorLinux wants to improve ease of use, it would be good to have some GUI way to start and stop services, daemons, etc, or at least something that didn't require users to remember the commands.

vasm / SERVICE / SERVSET

Not the most intuitive thing in the world, but it starts and stops them. The settings stay set the way you leave them for subsequent reboots though.

I use Service, Servset in VASM quite a bit. I never knew it would start and stop services during a session, though. I thought it was just for setting services to start at boot time.

We can learn something new every day. Smiley Thanks so much!
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2008, 09:56:01 pm »

I use Service, Servset in VASM quite a bit. I never knew it would start and stop services during a session, though

Yea, I think that bit in vasm should be made a bit clearer.

Perhaps another dialogue should be added that would display which services are currently running (something servset doesn't do), and that would allow users to choose services to start and stop *without* changing anything for the next reboot.

At the same time, typing "service <name> stop" is also very fast and intuitive...
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2008, 12:27:15 am »

Bonjour!

Still running A.33, waiting for A.35.......
Just found that floppy can't be mounted mounted  and read/write under xfce4/GUI no matter How  i  configured vasm  and edited /etc/fstab, in order to make another lilo floppy disk, had to go runlevel 3/or 1, then running vasm/or /sbin/lilo...
Guessed that's bug.
do fix it up in A. 35 !
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2008, 01:09:56 am »

Bonjour!

X Still gets hang/locked in a sudden  again on A33.when running this twisterK IGP(savage driver) + via KN133 based mb laptop,
the athlon xp 1500+ cpu's load can hit 100% in a sudden mysteriously when just running opera and watching you tube's flash video and loading high definition photos,
guess it might be a kernel issue, which couldn't cope with amd athlon xp (mobile series) CPU and VIA kn133N chipsets MB so well,maybe more patches needed
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2008, 11:53:58 am »

A0.34, hosted ISO Text-installer:

After finishing copying vlconfig2 and the docs: There is a quick message about gtk-update-icon-cache (I think). Then it starts scrolling names of image files, several instances of each. This continues, but if you pay attention, you can see the next screens going by: "Let's configure the system" etc.. You can hit "Enter" or move selection and it will perform the next steps and complete the installation.

First time around I interrupted the process and did first reboot. The names kept scrolling by while continuing first time configuration. Second time, I let the machine sit at what would be the screen about exiting the installer and rebooting. It eventually finished the process and upon reboot everything was as usual.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2008, 06:46:14 pm »

On VL6 a 0.33 I plugged in a USB flash drive for the first time since I installed 0.33. It wasn't mounted by VL-Hot. Nor had a /mnt/vl-hot directory been created. I switched to root and mounted the flash drive as root after I created a /mnt/vl-hot directory as a mount point.

Is this a bug or is there some secret to getting a flash drive automounted through VL-HOT in VL6 a.33?
--GrannyGeek

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2008, 08:20:05 pm »

Is this a bug or is there some secret to getting a flash drive automounted through VL-HOT in VL6 a.33?

LOL, if there was some secret to it, it should be considered a bug. Tongue

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2008, 02:46:12 am »

Bonjour!
Still rnning A.33,I went to gslapt and added the following VL testing mirror:
updated  to xfce4.4.6b at first then xfce4 failed to launch, then downgraded to xcfce4.4.3,NOW CAN'T INPUT JAPANESE ANYMORE,
any command to fix it?
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2008, 03:13:08 pm »

You need to put in the latest firmware for the ipw3945 wireless. The one you have in 6.0 doesn't cut it. The new one (iwlwifi-3945-1.ucode) does.

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: