VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 05:58:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0-alpha2- PRODUCT  (Read 41378 times)
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 09:14:53 pm »

Set this one up in VirtualBox 2.0 (as I'm out of partitions at the moment). Had similiar issues as toothandnail until I loaded the vboxadditions. Although I've not done much yet what I have tried has worked okay except the gslapt link in the menu doesn't seem to work. This has been a common issue in the past and running it from the command line as root works as it should. Running as a user gets the following:
Code:
mscott:$ gslapt
/home/ftp/pub/veclinux/packages: Permission denied
Please update permissions on /home/ftp/pub/veclinux/packages or run with appropriate privileges

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 05:22:33 am »

One small thing, when loaded and installed, on reboot the LILO log on screen - where you chose with distribution to boot, the choice of black on dark blue makes the choices difficult to see, white text when you select it is good, but the blue and black combination just lacks the required contrast.  I know this is an aesthetic nitpick but I think worth changing to give a bit of polish.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 05:50:06 pm »

Finally got a minute to install vl 6.0 A2-  first impression look good , one thing every time I try to run the terminal formt he panel it crashes the xserver.. and the log in screen come up.

Thanks for all the hard work.
dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 06:09:53 pm »

gslapt menu entry does not work- work ok if run from terminal.
also any time I try to open terminal it crashes x-server. uxrvt works fine..
Would like to see filezilla added to the network menu (just my preference gftp though good is no longer being developed)

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 05:25:54 pm »

Today I did a cold boot into VL6a2 and when I did startx (I boot to runlevel2), XFce came up at 640x480 resolution. It's supposed to be 1280x1024. Nothing had changed in /etc/xorg.conf. I logged out and logged back in, did startx, and the resolution was still 640x480.

I'll try again after a cold boot, but I can't do much more with this version if I can't get it to run at 1280x1024.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 01:45:02 pm »

I've hit a problem with Gslapt under the alpha. Not every time, but frequently, if I use it to install a few packages at the same time, it does part of the job, then freezes and has to be killed.

Just happened a few minutes ago - I selected three packages (samba, ntp and wxGTK). The progress indicator got to the middle of installing wxGTK, then stopped. After 10 minutes, I killed Gslapt from the console. Turns out that only ntp had been installed, though both samba and wxGTK had been downloaded.

I had similar problems with the 5.9 Standard betas, but haven't seen it since then.

paul.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 05:53:28 pm »

Here once again my old gripe:

Linux Newbies will not be able to make an Internet connection if they have a Davicom eth card. This holds true for Slackware and its clones (I checked 5) with the one exception VL-Live-CD.

To get a connection needs some hacking first. When it happened to me the first time, and I could not call myself a Newbie after 6 years Linux, I could not use Sackware for 4 days untill it was fixed with the help of some gurus from a Newbie list.

The distros DSL or Fedora do not have this problem. Install and Internet connection is up and running with a Davicom eth card.

If VL was able to get it right once with the Live-CD, as a first among slackies, why could the "trick" not be incorporated into all VL releases? I think it was Uelsk who did it.

Regards
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 08:02:17 pm »

Today I found out that the problem with resolution I reported above was due to PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair). I had changed the vertical refresh rate to 60 - 60 minimum and maximum. I thought that would be okay because the preferred refresh rate for this LCD monitor is 60 Hz. Well, apparently xorg didn't agree with me.<g>

When I restored my backup xorg.conf, I got my 1280x1024 resolution.

I found a fix on the Net for my Google Earth problem and changed some permissions so I can run it from my user account.

No problems showed up today. I didn't have a chance to see whether I could get more printers installed now that I have the gutenprint drivers on my system. The system is pretty good for so early in development.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 01:00:41 pm »

Some real successes today. First of all, xorg.conf held its 1280x1024 resolution through a couple of restarts of X and a cold boot. So my diagnosis of the problem and restoring the xorg.conf file with the default Vertical refresh rates did the trick.

Best of all, I got my printers installed and was able to print test pages from my two inkjets! Installing Ghostscript and the gutenprint drivers did the trick. It didn't work the last time because I didn't stop the CUPS service and restart CUPS. Starting up the computer from its "off" state took care of that and now I can install printers and they're working. I even got the crappy Lexmark X1270 printing.

The next thing I'll try is getting my Sony Clie PDA to sync with JPilot.

So at this point, it looks as if I can use VL6a2 for day-to-day work on this Celeron desktop. I have just about all the programs I use installed and they're working pretty well.

I won't be able to test the graphical installer until I replace my flaky CD-RW/DVD drive. Sorry about that. That replacement is a fairly low priority here.
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 08:17:37 pm »

I followed what GrannyGeek did and installed ghostscript and gutenprint and then cups accepted the jobs since now my printer and its device were there, except the printer did not want to print. lpq showed the jobs. So I thought it will come after rebooting which I did.

Then after showing the first line on the console about BIOS data the screen went blank and noting happened any more. Second try the same.

End for me for this alpha2 version.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 09:09:27 pm »

I followed what GrannyGeek did and installed ghostscript and gutenprint and then cups accepted the jobs since now my printer and its device were there, except the printer did not want to print. lpq showed the jobs. So I thought it will come after rebooting which I did.

Then after showing the first line on the console about BIOS data the screen went blank and noting happened any more. Second try the same.

End for me for this alpha2 version.

I didn't mention that I also installed espgs from our repos. I boot into runlevel 2. I didn't install hpijs because I have no HP inkjets.

Let us know if any of this helps. Of course, if you can't get into your installation...
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 07:15:43 pm »

Was able to login again. It wanted another lilo run. Still the printer does not print.

Installed gnome http://gnome.slacky.eu/gnome/12.0/2.20.3/. I like it, all seem to work fine. Used the gnome printer configure program to configure printer. It still will not print.

All the jobs are lined-up but printer won't move Huh

I always use run level 2. I hate display managers. They are obnoxiously tenacious.

BTW HOW do I disable the blue splash screen on booting?
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 01:16:07 pm »

Errr..  two issues, Pita:  6.0 is based on 12.1 not 12.0.  We have a complete GNOME in our 6.0 repository under gsb.  There's even a meta package for installing the whole kit and kaboodle.   I think it would be more helpful to test Vetcor GNOME packages than third party packages for an older build of Slackware.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 06:24:27 pm »

Sorry Caitlyn, I thought this alpha version had no more gnome. I will have it corrected.

Regards

ps.: I just found with this DSL dillo version I am automatically logged-in into this forum.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 09:03:57 pm »

Errr..  two issues, Pita:  6.0 is based on 12.1 not 12.0.  We have a complete GNOME in our 6.0 repository under gsb.  There's even a meta package for installing the whole kit and kaboodle.

I was going to install the complete Gnome on my VL6a2 today, but I noticed it was going to install Firefox 2.0.0.something. I have Firefox 3.0.1 that comes with VL6 and was afraid I might get some conflict if I had both Firefoxes installed. Is this is valid concern?

If having the two Firefoxes won't cause problems, I'll install it once I get an okay on this forum.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: