VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 11:53:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0-alpha2- PRODUCT  (Read 39635 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2008, 10:32:29 pm »

With 0.32 already out, I don't see much point in installing 0.31. Thanks for the tips.

I'm itching for the first beta. 0.12 has been working quite well for me for the most part. This computer (1.3 GHz Celeron) is easy--very Linux friendly, always has been. The real test will come when I install VL 6 on my laptop with the dreaded wireless. But with only one Linux partition on the laptop and the need to have Linux functioning well, I can't risk it at this early stage.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2008, 07:35:55 am »

Bojour!

Dragged A.32 iso for testing,it's running slightly a bit more stable, dissappointingly no sound at all although  the Alsa was loaded at boot,"alsamixer" returned with error..........

Japanese can't be inputed on X while on A.25 no problem...
jasse

« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2008, 09:14:35 am »

@ Jasse

Try running vxconf as root in a terminal... that should get you a better X setup... see if that helps
No change at all, even if I manually edit xorg.conf  with "1024x600" in the correct places.
Even with "800x600" as the first entry the login screen looks the same.

@ kidd
VL seems to run just fine, although I haven't poked around yet to get WiFi and sound working.
But the WiFi module is loaded (ath5k) so it seems to be just a config issue.
I don't really need sound support on this laptop, but it would sure be nice if it works right out of the box.

(I hope ath5k supports WEP shared key, but I'm sure google will be helpful here)

I'm downloading A0.32 right now and will try it out tonight.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2008, 11:22:17 am »

Minor suggestion: I understand Mozilla dropped the requirement for users to accept an EULA in FF. In very recent release of another *nix I saw it replaced with a much friendlier first-run page. I'd like to see that in VL too.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2008, 03:09:17 pm »

Just installed 0.32. Lots of problems to report.....

First, no sound. Even though I've manually run alsaconf, the Xfce settings is showing 'default' with no controls and nothing else.

Second, during boot, there are multiple attempts to start the network, first with the wired interface, then with the wireless. Both seem to include two calls to dhcpcd (at least I'm getting two entries for each card), and both sit for a long time. iplugd is supposedly enabled, so I can't see any reason for the lengthy delays during boot.

For some reason, the root user gets a nice small menu button, but a normal user gets a much longer (and much less space efficient) one.

The (gdm?) login screen is ugly. Looks anything but professional. Also, even though picture logins (and a picture) were selected during install, a default image is being used, not the one I selected.

/etc/skel/.config/lefpad/leafpadrc needs to be removed. It puts leafpad into a screen mode that is entirely unusable on my 1024x768 screen. Can't even resize the window, I have to go and manually delete the file

More later....

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2008, 02:05:59 pm »

Alpha 0.33. After install, the first login (as either user or root) gets an error box asking if xfce4 should be used, since the default xfce doesn't exist. Once selected, the problem goes away.

Another problem - Gimp is installed, but it looks as though doinst.sh has not completed correctly. Some of the symlinks are created, but quite a few aren't there. Upgrading to Gimp  2.6.1 fixes the problem, but from the initial install several were missing.

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2008, 04:33:45 am »

While sound is back with alpha 0.33, there is an odd problem with volume levels. In past versions of Vector, sound level values were normally saved on shutdown and restored. With this alpha, the volume level reverts to 54% on every restart.

paul.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2008, 10:14:18 am »

Bon soiree!

Running  A.33 on S3-VIA twisterK  IGP based  sharp laptop, X still gets hang/dummy/locked from time to time, luckily less frequently than under A.25 & A.31, after a few hours of working on A.33, X gets hang more frequently Sad........
running knoppix 5.3.1 dvd  on the laptop , X also gets hang occasionally(running "savage" driver).
while booting into windows XP with this laptop(running with the latest twisterK driver version downloaded from S3 website,ie:13.94.12hotkey ),system doesn't  hang at all ,even 8-10 hors working continously....
Do fix it up completely !so as my edited files/docs/data won't get lost unexpectedly..
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2008, 06:36:38 pm »

Minor suggestion: I understand Mozilla dropped the requirement for users to accept an EULA in FF. In very recent release of another *nix I saw it replaced with a much friendlier first-run page. I'd like to see that in VL too.

I thought about that a while back in previous versions of the FF packages used in VL, but then I second thought it .. "why?" .. then I thought .. "is there such a need, besides branding?"..
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2008, 08:39:42 pm »

Today I installed 0.33 on my Celeron desktop. This computer has a flaky CD-RW/DVD combo drive and it refuses to boot from a home-burned CD, so I have to do a vinstall-iso installation from a VL partition. That went fine, as always. I put 0.33 on my second testing partition.

Everything went fine with the installation. I installed LILO on a Linux low-level formatted floppy disk. My chief complaint with the text installation is that a good bit of the identifying line doesn't fit in the boxes for Hardware Init Configuration, Set Group, Select Service for Runlevel 2, and basically every similar box. I've done numerous VL text installations and am reasonably familiar with the descriptions for the various items, but if I were an inexperienced Linux user this would cause me real problems. My LCD monitor's native resolution is 1280x1024. X got my Radeon 9200 and Samsung LCD configured correctly with no intervention from me.

I had no problems setting up my network and my NFS home network. Sound worked fine. I did get that annoying "Could not look up internet address for vector.linux.net" when I started XFce. I didn't add it to /etc/hosts--will consider it if I get the message the next time I start XFce, now that I have my /etc/hosts file properly modified for my nfs network. I ran Gslapt and updated the things I was interested in. I also installed OOo, Scribus, Inkscape, sane, xsane, gutenprint and maybe some other programs with Gslapt. I installed Opera from a tar.gz file I downloaded from opera.com and installed tuxcards and CheckBook Tracker by copying files and a library from my VL6 0.12 partition. I updated Gimp and AbiWord with Gslapt.

Tomorrow I'll install my printers, Flash 10, and other programs I use regularly. VASMCC is still missing. I haven't noticed a difference between 0.12 and 0.33.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2008, 02:23:45 am »

Bonjour!

Pls .DO NOTE 
FontPath  "/usr/share/fonts/OTF"  doesn't exist at all on A.33,....

On which ftp mirror can I find the OTF fonts packages  so that to update the system and install?
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2008, 02:41:03 am »

Running  A.33 on S3-VIA twisterK  IGP based  sharp laptop, X still gets hang/dummy/locked from time to time, luckily less frequently than under A.25 & A.31, after a few hours of working on A.33, X gets hang more frequently ........
Now I add the floowing line into /etx/X11/xorg.conf:
-----------------------------------------------------
Option "AGPMode"  "4"
Option "AGPSize"   "64"   
Option "DmaMode"  "Vertex"
----------------------------------------------------
(pls:set AGPsize to 2 times of your onboard videoram size)

X seldom hang,maybe should apply  a tool to give more test,such as Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/#newusersif there's similar tool on vetor mirror do tell us the name of the testing tool..
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2008, 04:13:51 am »

X seldom hang,maybe should apply  a tool to give more test,such as Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/#newusersif there's similar tool on vetor mirror do tell us the name of the testing tool..

Not in the repos, I think. Though mprime is easy to install.
You can also try cpuburn-in: http://users.bigpond.net.au/CPUburn/
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2008, 05:54:08 am »

Bonjour!

Here's the result of mprime:
M47303177 stage 1 is 0.10% complete.
M47303177 stage 1 is 0.15% complete.
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
no problem of athlon xp1500+ cpu ..tried cpuburn also...

in the couse of running mprime X did hang twice, ie:no response from mouse and keyboard at all, strangely from console window mprime's results still kept sending out every 5-10 minite... i guessed X got locked again (the usual S3-VIA twisterK IGPbugs appeared), unfortunately add "option ShadowStatus On"to xorg.conf can't solve the issue on this shap laptop(VIA ProSavage4 KN133MB).
Would install VIA pci latency patches help? it seems that the patches're included within current VL6.0 alpha33 kernel already, maybe the relevent options wasn't opted on yet inside  kernel config.Do fix it if the via pci latency issue  exists.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2008, 09:38:52 am »

Bon Soiree a tous!
in the couse of running mprime X did hang twice, ie:no response from mouse and keyboard at all, strangely from console window mprime's results still kept sending out every 5-10 minite... i guessed X got locked again (the usual S3-VIA twisterK IGPbugs appeared), unfortunately add "option ShadowStatus On"to xorg.conf can't solve the issue on this shap laptop(VIA ProSavage4 KN133MB).

further to this daunting brainteasing issue(savage X hang),luckily came cross a post in mandriva forumhttp://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=81631
One thing jumps out at me: that xorg.conf claims your graphics chip has 32MB of memory available to it. I'm not sure that's right.

Could you try changing:

VideoRam 32768

to:

VideoRam 4096

and see if that works better?

If not, try:

VideoRam 2048

and finally:

VideoRam 1024

if it doesn't work at that point, that's likely not the problem. Thanks!

immediately Just add the line "VideoRam 4096"  to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, now my sharp laptop doesn't get hang /locked under xfce4 up till now, almost 3.5 hrs already........ Cheesy.
check the task manager, cpu load 's at around 15-25% when i'm typing this post 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: