VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 09:40:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I change the boot sequence? [SOLVED]  (Read 1613 times)
Cariboo
Vectorite

« on: September 03, 2008, 11:07:55 am »

Hi all,
I have a dual boot system, i.e. Windows XP and Vector Linux 5.9 std.
The boot splash shows first line 'Linux' and then 'Win' and it always boots into Linux if I'm to late to react.
I tried to edit 'lilo.conf' , because I thought the order of the entered OS would matter, but I always get Linux first and then Win.
 I want to change that to Win first and then Linux.
How can I change the boot sequence?
 Huh
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:27:57 pm by Cariboo » Logged

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 11:48:52 am »

Open /etc/lilo.conf in your favorite text editor
find the line that says "Default = " and change this value to the default os you want booted.
I dont think you can change the order in which the OS's are displayed... lilo may just list them alphabetically ordered (not sure about this, just my theory)

You can also remove the  value of "Timeout" that way it will wait at the prompt until you select and press enter

HTH

Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 04:34:56 pm »

Open /etc/lilo.conf in your favorite text editor
find the line that says "Default = " and change this value to the default OS you want booted.
I don't think you can change the order in which the OS's are displayed... lilo may just list them alphabetically ordered (not sure about this, just my theory)
You can also remove the  value of "Timeout" that way it will wait at the prompt until you select and press enter
HTH
Thanks, M0E-lnx...
The issue is solved by editing /etc/lilo.conf line "Default = Windows".
I had to open a root terminal and run the command 'lilo' after editing.
Now the order in the lilo menu is not important to me anymore (although it would be interesting to know how to change it?)
 Cariboo Smiley

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: