VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 07:10:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing Vector Linux on a USB Hard Drive  (Read 2702 times)
Anthraxx

« on: September 03, 2008, 07:14:51 am »

As the topic states, I'm trying to install VL on a USB hard drive.

All the other info I could find was related more specifically to USB flash drives, rather than hard drives. The main issue here is that everything seems to want fat32 formatting. However, it seems kinda redundant when the drive can be (and in fact, already is) partitioned in ext3.

So far, I'm running VL 5.9 Live Beta 1. I've formatted the hard drive into a 4GB ext3 part, a 140GB ext part and a Linux swap part. These are to be used as system install, home, and swap (duh) partitions respectively.

I seem to have succeeded in installing VL from the Live CD onto the partition on the USB hard drive using the vlliveinstaller in the system menu. I've failed many times with the vl-usb-install. I've also failed to actually boot onto the USB hard drive. My BIOS can see it, and is configured to boot from USB devices but each time I boot, my system keeps saying "Please insert boot disk and press enter."

So I was hoping for any advice or insight into how to get this to work.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 08:23:40 am »

Check that Lilo points to the right device.

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: