VectorLinux
August 30, 2014, 04:13:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5.9 Std Firewall  (Read 1268 times)
Jackho

« on: September 03, 2008, 04:07:11 pm »

I'm running 5.9 Standard Gold built on Dec-16-07. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with a 2.4GHz Celeron processor and 256MB memory.
How can I tell if the firewall is running? I log in to the graphical user desktop as a normal user, not root.  From the command prompt (terminal), I enter su and then "service firewall status" and get the answer "rc.firewall is not running". If I enter "iptables -vL" I see what look like firewall rules and packet and bytes counts that change. So I think the firewall is running Undecided

If I go to VASMCC->services->services and pick level 4, graphical user interface desktop, the button next to firewall is pushed in.

I'm using the rc.firewall script that came with the 5.9 installation. When I tried VASMCC->network->firewall->New and then tried VASMCC->network-firewall->start, the system locks up. If I delete the rc.firewall and rename rc.firewall.backup to rc.firewall. I can restart my system.

On as side note, how do I search the forum. I put "5.9" +firewall in the search box and every message with the number 5, or the number 9, or the word firewall. I was looking for messages that contained the phrase 5.9 and the work firewall.

Thank you,Jack Homeyer
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 05:00:21 pm »

The search function here is missing alot.

I found it here:

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7161.0

Bigpaws
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 02:58:33 am »

I've had the same problems with the VL firewall.
I ended up using firestarter, as in the link above. You might need to install several gnome libs to get firestarter running, but then you can activate it in "Services" and only lauch it to make policy changes or monitor blocked connections.
Jackho

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 02:35:52 pm »

Thank you, Bigpaws. I followed the link and installed Firestarter. Thanks WCS I got it working with VASMCC.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: