VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 07:03:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless and the USB adapter  (Read 2022 times)
waynev

« on: September 07, 2008, 08:16:53 pm »

Question 1)  does Victor have an understandable, complete and efficient means to set up wireless when an USB adapter is used?

Question 2) does Victor kernel support chipset 1211rw (ZyDas)

Question 3) does Victor have the drivers for this chip set installed?

Question 4) does Victor give wireless fumctionality for wireless out of the box for any chip set.

I want an out of the box experience, I want to plug in the wifi adapter boot up Victor click firefox and read the news, I want Vector to give me the same hassel free wire less as XP does, can Victor do that.   Puppy 4.0 does with just a few simple clicks.  I like Victor and tried it before but was disappointed and moved on. 
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 08:40:10 pm »

Hi Waynev.

Question 1)  does Victor have an understandable, complete and efficient means to set up wireless when an USB adapter is used?

That depends the chipset that the card uses

Question 2) does Victor kernel support chipset 1211rw (ZyDas)

After researching that chipset, no there is no kernel support for any Linux Distro.

Question 3) does Victor have the drivers for this chip set installed?

They maybe included, depending on the Vector version, and the the driver needed.

Question 4) does Victor give wireless functionality for wireless out of the box for any chip set.

No Linux Distribution does, which is the fault of the hardware manufacturers. They change
chipsets even on the same model number.

You need to install drivers for XP as well. As far as Puppy Linux goes if you include how you
setup the wireless, A better answer could be given. Did you use ndiswrapper or Madwifi?

A true card name, model and version number as well as the Vector version will really allow
for better answers. Wireless is improving in Linux, if the hardware manufacturers are not
allowing the code to be included in the Kernel then contact them and let them know how
you feel.

HTH

Bigpaws

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 09:23:25 pm »

I have a zd1211 based usb wireless dongle it has been supported out of the box in VectorLinux for a while now
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 11:37:33 pm »

I also have a zydas-chipset (0ace:1215; Driver: zd1211rw). I connected right out of the box with VLwifi, then I simply set up the specs in wifi-radar and I connected through that, from then on.

Granted that way I do have an extra steps on entering my root password and clicking connect.

When I tried Zenwalk I had to download the driver to get the zydas to work, but it did have a wifi app which started the wifi working every time I started up.  I gave it up, however, because it did not handle my touch pad will and rendered it almost unusable.

I tried Puppy too.   Really remarkable what they crammed in such a small amount of diskspace, but they put a lot of unnecessary limitations on themselves doing it.  It did as you said with the zydas, but it just didn't compare for the full feature set.  So Vector it is for me.

I agree, however,  it would be nice to have the option to use an application which just monitors and turns on your wifi when you are near something you have already logged into before.  Especially for systems that can spare the resources.

Hopefully, there is a trick or two, one of the veterans can share with us. 

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
waynev

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 01:22:48 pm »

I have a zd1211 based usb wireless dongle it has been supported out of the box in VectorLinux for a while now

Is there a live VL release that will do as advertised?  If there is, and it gets me on the wireless then I'll buy whatever VL deluxe release that will do the same and install Grin
waynev

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 02:43:48 pm »

I also have a zydas-chipset (0ace:1215; Driver: zd1211rw). I connected right out of the box with VLwifi, then I simply set up the specs in wifi-radar and I connected through that, from then on.

When I tried Zenwalk I had to download the driver to get the zydas to work, but it did have a wifi app which started the wifi working every time I started up.  I gave it up, however, because it did not handle my touch pad will and rendered it almost unusable.

I tried Puppy too.   Really remarkable what they crammed in such a small amount of diskspace, but they put a lot of unnecessary limitations on themselves doing it.  It did as you said with the zydas, but it just didn't compare for the full feature set.  So Vector it is for me.

What flavor of VL?

ZenWalk needs work, and particularly their installer I prefer Grub.  Never could get ZenWalk to install.  Completed install three times great until time to install boot and ZenWalked crashed.

What you wrote about Puppy is possibly true for many Pro-Linux users, but there are those, me included, that appreciate the modular and gentle learning curve of Puppy. Seriously, the Puppy concept is unique and a lot of fun, 4.0 is very well done.  However, in the final analysis, I, like you,  prefer the traditional full featured set of options offered with traditional Linux Distros.

Thanks for your response

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 05:39:21 pm »

What flavor of VL?

I have used VL 5.9 light, VL 5.9 standard gold and am now alpha testing VL 6.0  on my laptop. The same laptop as my wireless zd1211rw. 

There is a live cd you can try.  It is of the deluxe vesion.  It is not installable, but it uses the same vl-wifi and wifi-radar as the standard.  The biggest difference is it is kde and not xfce.
The link is here...http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-SOHO-preview.iso

I put the puppy live cd in the laptop, you've raised my curiosity.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
waynev

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 06:15:22 pm »

What flavor of VL?

I have used VL 5.9 light, VL 5.9 standard gold and am now alpha testing VL 6.0  on my laptop. The same laptop as my wireless zd1211rw. 

There is a live cd you can try.  It is of the deluxe vesion.  It is not installable, but it uses the same vl-wifi and wifi-radar as the standard.  The biggest difference is it is kde and not xfce.
The link is here...http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-SOHO-preview.iso

I put the puppy live cd in the laptop, you've raised my curiosity.

Great! I'll download and give it ago.  I like the looks of VL, and I Great want the distro to work for me.  Thanks for the response stretchedthin  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: