VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Install Vector on Fujitsu P1120 - no optical drives, no usb or network boot  (Read 3609 times)

Lifebook

Hi!
I would like to try out Vector Linux on my Fujitsu P1120 subnotebook. I am an absolute newb to Linux and to Vector especially.
The machine runs WinXP Home and Puppy Linux, which I managed to install with some pain, as a dual boot system.
However the machine has no optical drives, no usb or network boot is supported. The specs are:

Transmeta Crusoe TM 5800 @ 800 MHz
256 MB RAM
60 GB IDE HDD @ 7200 RPM

Is there any way for me to install Vector Linux on my system? I have not found any appropriate topics with the search fuction..

Thank you for your help in advance!

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
Re: Install Vector on Fujitsu P1120 - no optical drives, no usb or network boot
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:27:40 am »

You should be able to do an "install from iso" install from puppy, here's some info that should help: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl59/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html#iso_linux
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

Bruce B

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 02:01:01 pm »

Lifebook,

In reading the instructions you were given. Based on my experience with Puppy and Vector Linux, I'll advise the following:

Puppy doesn't have the run levels and all that. I think, just boot to the command prompt using the puppy pfix=ram,nox argument.

I've haven't installed VL with using Live, but my guess is:

1) that you'll want to have a target partition already available for the install
2) you'll download the .iso to a different partition
3) that you'll want to have quite a bit of space for the kernel code, compilers and all the extras you will want on the target partition

and I could be wrong, but best of luck to you

-------------

never_stop_learning

• Vectorite
    • CigarWeekly
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 12:14:11 am »

I was not able to install to my IBM 240 using a Puppy 3.01 frugal install..... Even after ctrl-alt-backspace to the command prompt, I got an error message telling me I was not in runlevel 2..... :(
Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 06:19:09 pm »

I was not able to install to my IBM 240 using a Puppy 3.01 frugal install..... Even after ctrl-alt-backspace to the command prompt, I got an error message telling me I was not in runlevel 2..... :(

Instead of Control-Alt-Backspace, run this command as root at a terminal prompt:
init 2

That should get you into runlevel 2 for sure.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

Bruce B

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 08:12:56 pm »

Hi GrannyGeek,

I just don't think Puppy uses run levels or knows what they are.

Here is Puppy /etc/inittab, what do you think?

Code: [Select]
::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty -n -l /bin/autologinroot 38400 tty1
tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
::shutdown:/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot

Fortunately for me, I have a DVD/CD-ROM drive.

If Puppy won't work as the host operating system to 'install from iso', and given Lifebook's computer, I wonder what to do? I suppose wait for Lifebook to come back with an update or report.

Bruce

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:16:23 pm »

I just don't think Puppy uses run levels or knows what they are.

Here is Puppy /etc/inittab, what do you think?

It doesn't look anything like my inittab. Can you boot into a command prompt with Puppy?

If Puppy won't work as the host operating system to 'install from iso', and given Lifebook's computer, I wonder what to do? I suppose wait for Lifebook to come back with an update or report.

I don't know enough about Puppy or Linux, for that matter, to suggest anything. Sorry I can't help.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 09:23:16 pm »

open your vinstall-iso script in a text editor and comment out the check_runlevel line

Code: [Select]
################################################
# Main program
check_user
check_console
#check_runlevel
check_mount
get_initrd
do_install

Lifebook

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 02:04:02 pm »

Thanks guys for the answers. For the moment I'm struggling a bit with Puppy Linux and all of it's functions. I guess two Linuxes at once is too much for a bloddy newb like I am.

I just thought Vector looked fancy and wanted to see the difference between Puppy and Vector. For now I will try to figure out how Linux works before I get back to Vector.

But thank you anyway!!

Greets!