VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 03:35:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Forgive for I have sinned.....................  (Read 5162 times)
edgeofthewoods

« on: September 10, 2008, 07:58:43 am »

I listened to my friends, I know I should'nt have, but I did. I installed Open Suse11 Gnome on a spare partition. It ran...OK I guess. Flash would not work (X64 edition) Sluggish i operation. Oh did I mention Vector did not play well with it!!:) GRUB would not see the SUSE install, only Vector.LOL Got grub to work and thought "Ya know LILO is better, Pop in the VL 5.9 disk and reinstall LILO" Of course LILO found alll the installs and loaded up correctly. But the GUI and CLI of Suse is a nightmare. A HUGE menu of garbage just trying to find the terminal. Damn thing literally wanted to update every hour.

OK So I did my penance formated and stearilized that partition re-did lilo and back to pure Vector. Can I be forgiven?
Oh I did put Vector on my Kids computer, they love it!! Does that help? Smiley

Chuck
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:45:46 am by edgeofthewoods » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 09:06:38 am »

Totally unacceptable...!
After all you've seen and learned in VL

But I'll leave it up to the board... see what they say.

I gotta say though.... I'm really dissapointed.

J/K

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 01:58:18 am »

i would never go to Suse...especially after Novel's deal with m$

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
alec

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 02:53:15 am »

Similar story
Although I use Vector 5.9 on my work laptop, it didn't work on my (then) brandnew PC. Kernel is too old Sad
But Suse 11 with xfce is not too bad. Yes, a bit slow boot and shoutdown, but memory consumption is not bad too

Edit: forgot to mention, it also offers working 64-bit
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:37:08 pm by alec » Logged
jimk

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 04:33:07 am »

Yeah, I jumped back and forth between Opensuse 11 and Vector 5.9.  But now I have found 5.9 light, and it is just so extremely fast I will not be able to go back to Opensuse 11.  All I have to do is get the Novell client working on it and I will have no reason to go back.  The only reason I used Opensuse before was for Novell Consoleone, Groupwise and client.  Not too bad of a system, really, as long as you like sluggish operating systems Roll Eyes
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 04:13:34 am »

I could go on a rant here, but I'll simply stick with pointing to my board-name...
(And that one stems from the time of SuSE 7...)

<Lame sig>
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 06:22:54 am »

The lack of a stable 64-bit release for VL is an issue for a lot of people.  On a 64-bit box right now I'd probably try Ultima or BlueWhite64.  I've had more annoying bugs with 64-bit Ubuntu than I'd care to see in a lifetime.  SuSe?  Haven't tried it in a while but I've never been happy with it.  If I wanted an rpm based distro I'd sooner go with Fedora, Mandriva, or CentOS.

I am hoping that a 64-bit VL 6.0 really does happen even though I'm living with 32-bit hardware for the moment.  AT least the Netbook craze has spawned a whole new generation of 32-bit machines Wink

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 02:08:28 pm »

The lack of a stable 64-bit release for VL is an issue for a lot of people.  On a 64-bit box right now I'd probably try Ultima

Ultima is worth trying. Its developer claims this is the first Slack-based distro to have 64bit support. Ultima is superior to Vector in some cases, I switched to Ultima some time ago on my laptop and have been using it succesfully. You don`t need a separate DVD ISO for 64 bits or for Live system since both 32 and 64 systems are on one Live DVD which is installable.

What is also worth mentioning is that Ultima is an one-man project and its developer is only 17 years old! He might be not easy going with people but the distro is quite good anyway.

This is why I criticize Vector: its developers waste time and efforts to produce a separate clone  for 32, 64, Live, standard install, etc  while 17-teen years old boy can do it on one DVD.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 02:28:02 pm by Witek Mozga » Logged

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 02:17:25 pm »

Honestly I think SUSE went to Hell in a Hand Basket after 10.2. Well 10.3 was OK, but it sure was SLOW comparing to the previous. After that though, it's just been all messed up. I've used the 64bit version of SUSE 10.2 because it was bought for me as a gift Smiley , upgraded it online to 10.3 and well let me say I shouldn't have  Shocked .

VL has gained a lot since those times. I have nearly all of the applications I normally use. The current VL-64bit has GIMP (what else is there?  Grin ), but unfortunately I can't run some plug's, yet.

Testing out other distros is a good thing. You want to find the distro that's right for you don't you?

Even though I'm with VectorLinux, and enjoy every moment of it, I do run out there and install the other guys, just to see what else is out there, and check out some features that might be handy for us here at VL.

Could you be forgiven? Well, I dunno, but if you're not I Guess I'm not  Wink
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 04:15:51 pm »

The big prioblem with Ultima is that Martin has recently said he's going to abandon the distro except for maintenance in order to concentrate on helping the Wolvix development team.  If Wolvix 2.0 has a 64-bit version then there really is no reason for Ultima anymore.

While a single DVD is an advantage for some people, it is a distinct disadvantage for people who don't have high speed access, for people who live in countries where bandwidth is metered, and for people running legacy hardware without a bootable DVD-ROM drive.  My own ISP seems to throttle very large (multi-GB) downloads and they often get interrupted.  With wget interruptions aren't a huge issue but it can be awfully time consuming to download an extra large image filled with stuff I just don't need.  Having small iso images is a distinct advantage for a whole lot of people.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 06:01:33 am »

The big prioblem with Ultima is that Martin has recently said he's going to abandon the distro except for maintenance in order to concentrate on helping the Wolvix development team. 

This is right decision. Instead of proliferating distros developers should unite and try to make fewer of them but better ones. "You may say I`m a dreamer..." but this is the right way IMHO. I`m not arguing that there should be only one distro but several hundreds is definitely too much.

While a single DVD is an advantage for some people, it is a distinct disadvantage for people who don't have high speed access, for people who live in countries where bandwidth is metered, and for people running legacy hardware without a bootable DVD-ROM drive.  My own ISP seems to throttle very large (multi-GB) downloads and they often get interrupted.  With wget interruptions aren't a huge issue but it can be awfully time consuming to download an extra large image filled with stuff I just don't need.  Having small iso images is a distinct advantage for a whole lot of people.

OK, I prefer smaller ISOs myself but I don`t see any reason why not to combine 32 and 64bits support on one CD that contains both LiveCD and HD installer. If Martin can do so, why Vector can`t? Wouldn`t it be easier to work on one ISO instead of four?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 06:03:40 am by Witek Mozga » Logged

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 09:44:06 am »

This is right decision. Instead of proliferating distros developers should unite and try to make fewer of them but better ones. "You may say I`m a dreamer..." but this is the right way IMHO. I`m not arguing that there should be only one distro but several hundreds is definitely too much.

I agree with you on this.  I just can't really recommend a distro that won't be around anymore.  Ultima on a 64-bit machine would be a stopgap measure for me until a final VL64 release came out.

OK, I prefer smaller ISOs myself but I don`t see any reason why not to combine 32 and 64bits support on one CD that contains both LiveCD and HD installer. If Martin can do so, why Vector can`t? Wouldn`t it be easier to work on one ISO instead of four?

That wouldn't fit on one CD.  The 32-bit version of Standard maxes on on space as it is.  Ditto SOHO.  You'd have to go to a large DVD image.  Live CDs are fine if you have a bootable CD-ROM drive and a system fast enough to do a decent job running the live CD.  Having a traditional, text-based installer CD allows VL to keep supporting low-end legacy machines, something VL is known for.  The approach VL uses is no different than Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora, etc...  I don't think it's all that much more work than sticking exactly the same functionality on one DVD image.  You still have to test and perfect exactly the same amount of code.  Nope, that's one change I wouldn't support.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 10:28:05 am »

Wouldn`t it be easier to work on one ISO instead of four?

I don't think the ISO work is what really takes development time, it's the actual distro creation/customization/debugging/testing/etc that takes the time.  Basically there would be no time gained by a single ISO release on dvd of all four flavors versus individual iso releases.  If there is a way to put all releases on a single dvd what we would end up with is year-and-a-half+ release schedule between ISOs and one huge download to a format that's not nearly as supported as cd.

I still think there is potential in an arch-nimblex-hybrid-like release.  One where a core linux is developed (arch-like) along with flavor-addons (individual tlz packages that "overlay" core with the chosen flavor; light, standard, soho) that can be chosen interactively via a browser prior to download (nimblex-like).  I think the idea, in theory, sounds great, but I'm certain the implementation is MUCH harder; especially when it comes to the flavor-overlays (i.e. making sure libraries are all included, packages are compiled properly with appropriate includes, etc.).  Of course, this idea would require much fine-tuning otherwise how is it better than downloading individual ISOs.
Monty67

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 06:27:20 am »

this is the perfect thread for me because I have returned from a hiatus my self.

After building up my machine (specs in the forum somewhere) I wanted to install SOHO but at the time it was pay for. If you know my nickname
you'll know that I've been using VL for a while and have bought my my fair share of releases. I sorta wanted it here and now given how I now have a 4yr old and a then 2month old which means free time happens randomly. I honestly didn't want to wait. So I decided now (ok back then - this time stuff is hard)  would be a good time to try other distros. First up the grand-daddy of them all. Ubuntu 8. something. Drop dead easy install. I could watch my kids and let the distro do all the partitioning and just click next next next. I was really happy until I plugged in my USB stick and it locked up tight. Up to this point I had never seen a "unix/bsd" based system ever completely lock up. but it had and after verifying that it would do the same problem each time I dumped Ubuntu. I then decided to try Kubuntu given that I now Prefer KDE. Below are the results along with a few others.

Kubuntu - Same USB issue as base distro.

KuBuntu64 - did nothing to keep rebooting the system.

PCLinuxOS - After installing a few things here and there problems started to pop up. Also had to manually install Nvidia driver.

OpenSuse64 - wouldn't install.

Fedora 9 - wouldn't install

OpenSuse32Bit - Nice install, nice interface, then USB issue started to occur.

I then landed on Mandriva and thought I had found what I was looking for. No USB issues, more packages then I would ever need,
KDE interface, alot of educational SW, and parental controls so I could easily set up white and black lists for my 4 year old's account.

Then one day my USB stick froze the window. Then it happened again...... and again and again. I realized if I didn't use any size stick higher
then 512 it wouldn't do it. don't ask me why, I just knew that I had a work around and I was willing to put up with that one thing to get everything else.
Then the big update day came and it never worked again. If you head over to their forum you'll see that many people were left with half working, not working machines
because something on their server messed up. I would need to do a fresh install.

Ironically someone from the Ubuntu community sent me a very pleasant email (must have read my blog) alerting me that a new version of Ubuntu was available 8.10 and that may fix my USB stick issue. I installed in, and once again drop dead easy. I even got to install KDE 4.1 which I haven't made up my mind yet on. Then I plugged in a 2gig stick and it locked. From my RSS feed I learned that I could now get the latest SOHO version w/o having to wait for it so I install it.

As you all know VL is fast, stable, no USB hotplugging issues, has a great forum, and is relatively bloat free. (did I miss the option to not install wifi stuff on my desktop??) But, and there is always a but, the variety of packages is still it's Achilles heal. Having played with Mandriva for over a month I can honestly say that I miss being able to get anything that I want at the click of a button. It's not that I can't source install but I just don't have the time. If my son wants, let's say childsplay, which VL has, I want to do a search, find it and install it. I just don't have the time to go out and find the dependencies, make sure all the versions are correct, get by the conflicts to install something like KeePassx which both Ubuntu and Mandriva have with one click. I hope this doesn't sound like whinning because again I've been with VL since 3.2 and have returned and plan to stay. So yes the prodigal son has returned.

Now if the over worked, underpaid, developers are ever board and looking for something to do, KeePassx would be really cool to have. ;-)

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 08:43:53 am »

Speaking of distros that don't work as they should I recently repaired a broken WinXP machine for a friend. This is a two year old dual core AMD box, 2GB RAM, etc, which some "kind relative" had attempted to "fix" by re-installing the OS, but used a Win 98 disk in error. So I offered to get the data files off it for her.

"Live Linux CD" to the rescue. My favourite is Slax as it is fast, and I know my way around it. Unfortunately for some reason it would not mount the NTFS partition. So I tried Ubuntu 8.04 - it wouldn't get past the login screen. Then I tried Knoppix and System Rescue CD, neither of them would work properly for whatever reason. Penultimately, I tried a DVD version of OpenSUSE - it wouldn't even boot and it was a properly manufactured DVD disk.

I started scratching my head and muttering a few swear words when in the back cupboard I found a VectorLinux Live version (a believe a beta or alpha version). No problems - mounted the NTFS perfectly and copied all her files to an external USB hard drive in a matter of a few minutes. VL to the rescue!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: