VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 10:14:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forgive for I have sinned.....................  (Read 5360 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 11:13:05 pm »

Since early last year I am happy user of VL-5.8 comning over from slackware.
Soon after Vl-5.9 came out and I was supposed to make again new install for which I
was not prepared. So I stayed on with VL58, however  realized I have to
move to higher spheres if I want to use more secure and better programs, like skype with
a digicam.

I purchased two versions of VL-59, however, in some way they did not feel good for me.
Besides I dislike uneven numbers.

So I tried to look for other distros. I installed Mandriva and it would not boot since it
 had a bug in the kernel, believe it or not. A brand new release. Junked it.

Went to my old friend Fedora which had grown to be a real monster. I aborted the installation
when I asked me for 5 CDs. And their GUI installer should surely not be copied. Not user
friendly.

Went back to slackware-12.1 since for some reason I can't print anymore in VL58 and that distro
has  quite a few old programs I am used to readily installed which I have to pull over into VL, like xpaint, xv, joe ,
mailx you name it every time there is a new version.

Now I am looking forward to VL-6-LIGHT to replace my VL5.8. I have the gut feeling
I will be happy in it again. I need a GUI installer like another  hole in the head.

Now my printer port on the MOBO apparently got bust. Luckily I have a spare USB adapter
cable handy. Will check if this was the reason VL58 would not print anymore, so VL6-L-alpha still did
till yesterday and than conked out as well.

The gist... go VL go.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 01:13:56 am »

(...)however  realized I have to
move to higher spheres if I want to use more secure and better programs, like skype with
a digicam.

Hopefully from 6.0 on, we'll be able to provide packages for old vl's for longer time.  The secret is automating the builds Wink

I did a kind of autobuilder that's beeing used to package some parts of vl6 repo (hey! thanks for testing rbistolfi Smiley It does dep checking, so it compiles new versions of deps if needed.  I think if we work a bit on that program, we'll support vl6.0 at least 2 versions ahead.

I have mixed feelings about graphical installer ... We'll have good old CLI installer too, so no problem Wink   

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 03:23:18 am »

Pita

Check that the parallel port is listed in lsmod.
Bigpaws
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 04:55:50 pm »

As someone else mentioned in this thread - I'm not surprised by the other distro's having issues. We've got 6 machines here, ranging from a near pre-historic pentium mmc to a multi-gHz screamer. I've eval'ed a ton of other distro's and they *bomb* in similar ways to what most everyone has mentioned here.  Even my DOS box boots and runs better than some!  Actually, was very surprised that the Fedora and Red-Hat stuff was SO gnarly - took four or five attempts to install. Strange.

VL wins hands down, imho.   - I'm not intending any distro dissing here, btw  Roll Eyes

Maybe this isn't the right thread to ask, but what is done differently in VL - or slackware in general - that makes it run (or seem to run) so much faster than other distro's?  Is the X-gui stuff running higher priority, giving a snapper UI --- or is there some kernal scheduling trick that just zips along more merrily than most?

What really surprised me was how SLOW Gentoo is --- isn't that one supposed to be a developers' dream OS?  Or maybe they leave the speed-up tweeking as an excercise  Tongue

cheers,
Howard in Florida

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 07:35:59 pm »

Pita

Check that the parallel port is listed in lsmod.
Bigpaws

Thanks! It's all in place. See my post about it under Office & Printing.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: