Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Forgive for I have sinned.....................  (Read 5702 times)

Pita

• Vectorian
Re: Forgive for I have sinned.....................
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 11:13:05 pm »
Since early last year I am happy user of VL-5.8 comning over from slackware.
Soon after Vl-5.9 came out and I was supposed to make again new install for which I
was not prepared. So I stayed on with VL58, however  realized I have to
move to higher spheres if I want to use more secure and better programs, like skype with
a digicam.

I purchased two versions of VL-59, however, in some way they did not feel good for me.
Besides I dislike uneven numbers.

So I tried to look for other distros. I installed Mandriva and it would not boot since it
 had a bug in the kernel, believe it or not. A brand new release. Junked it.

Went to my old friend Fedora which had grown to be a real monster. I aborted the installation
when I asked me for 5 CDs. And their GUI installer should surely not be copied. Not user
friendly.

Went back to slackware-12.1 since for some reason I can't print anymore in VL58 and that distro
has  quite a few old programs I am used to readily installed which I have to pull over into VL, like xpaint, xv, joe ,
mailx you name it every time there is a new version.

Now I am looking forward to VL-6-LIGHT to replace my VL5.8. I have the gut feeling
I will be happy in it again. I need a GUI installer like another  hole in the head.

Now my printer port on the MOBO apparently got bust. Luckily I have a spare USB adapter
cable handy. Will check if this was the reason VL58 would not print anymore, so VL6-L-alpha still did
till yesterday and than conked out as well.

The gist... go VL go.

kidd

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 01:13:56 am »
(...)however  realized I have to
move to higher spheres if I want to use more secure and better programs, like skype with
a digicam.

Hopefully from 6.0 on, we'll be able to provide packages for old vl's for longer time.  The secret is automating the builds ;)

I did a kind of autobuilder that's beeing used to package some parts of vl6 repo (hey! thanks for testing rbistolfi :) It does dep checking, so it compiles new versions of deps if needed.  I think if we work a bit on that program, we'll support vl6.0 at least 2 versions ahead.

I have mixed feelings about graphical installer ... We'll have good old CLI installer too, so no problem ;)   

bigpaws

• Vectorian
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 03:23:18 am »
Pita

Check that the parallel port is listed in lsmod.
Bigpaws

Windozer

• Vectorite
  • Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 04:55:50 pm »
As someone else mentioned in this thread - I'm not surprised by the other distro's having issues. We've got 6 machines here, ranging from a near pre-historic pentium mmc to a multi-gHz screamer. I've eval'ed a ton of other distro's and they *bomb* in similar ways to what most everyone has mentioned here.  Even my DOS box boots and runs better than some!  Actually, was very surprised that the Fedora and Red-Hat stuff was SO gnarly - took four or five attempts to install. Strange.

VL wins hands down, imho.   - I'm not intending any distro dissing here, btw  ::)

Maybe this isn't the right thread to ask, but what is done differently in VL - or slackware in general - that makes it run (or seem to run) so much faster than other distro's?  Is the X-gui stuff running higher priority, giving a snapper UI --- or is there some kernal scheduling trick that just zips along more merrily than most?

What really surprised me was how SLOW Gentoo is --- isn't that one supposed to be a developers' dream OS?  Or maybe they leave the speed-up tweeking as an excercise  :P

cheers,
Howard in Florida
483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 07:35:59 pm »
Pita

Check that the parallel port is listed in lsmod.
Bigpaws

Thanks! It's all in place. See my post about it under Office & Printing.