VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 05:17:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I've tried all the latest vector live releases  (Read 3288 times)
waynev

« on: September 10, 2008, 11:09:09 am »

First my question:  Can anyone explain why windows i.e; XP, W2K for an example, connects to a very low signal and firefox browses, while all the linux distros I've tested using an wireless adapter will connect and fetch and IP but firefox will not browse. 

VL5.9-SOHO-Preview is my choice for my box.  When final comes out I buy SOHO, if it's for sale Grin.  I actually got SOHO to connect and fetch an IP.  But, firefox did not like the low signal and refused to browse.  So I'm typing this on an old box running Windows Mellinnume; how quaint is that Grin  Yes it's wireless using the same dongle as the other boxes Roll Eyes 
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 11:15:08 am »

I find that I have the opposite situation.  Connected via windows is low signal and intermittent dropped signal, VL (once connected) remains constant and moderate signal (bcm43xx).  To be completely honest, Zenwalk gives the best connection using the b43 driver (constant and strong connection).  I cannot explain why such a difference between the three distros.

BTW, SOHO final has been released and is for sale (i.e Vector Linux 5.9 SOHO Deluxe) from the main site store (http://vectorlinux.com/cd-store).

Cheers!
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:16:49 pm »

First my question:  Can anyone explain why windows i.e; XP, W2K for an example, connects to a very low signal and firefox browses, while all the linux distros I've tested using an wireless adapter will connect and fetch and IP but firefox will not browse.

The part about XP and W2K I am not able to answer. Except that some of the implementations
of wireless are reverse engineered.

The firefox problem. This maybe a dns issue, you can test this by
checking in a terminal by pinging yahoo.com and then try to ping
by yahoo ip address ( 206.190.60.37). If the last does get a response
then the problem is a dns problem.

Issue this command: cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver

You should expect your router ip address.

Bigpaws
waynev

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 06:29:45 am »

I find that I have the opposite situation.  Connected via windows is low signal and intermittent dropped signal, VL (once connected) remains constant and moderate signal (bcm43xx).  To be completely honest, Zenwalk gives the best connection using the b43 driver (constant and strong connection).  I cannot explain why such a difference between the three distros.

BTW, SOHO final has been released and is for sale (i.e Vector Linux 5.9 SOHO Deluxe) from the main site store (http://vectorlinux.com/cd-store).

Cheers!

Vector is my choice, and if ever I can surf to Vector Home using SOHO and wireless then I'll being purchasing SOHO.

Regards

WayneV 
waynev

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 09:39:29 am »

The part about XP and W2K I am not able to answer. Except that some of the implementations

Bigpaws

Bigpaws when http://www.yahoo.com or http://yahoo.com or yahoo.com is ping the ping returns unknown host.  VLwifi or wifiRad gives' an ip 192.168.1.107 What's up with this?  Could a very low signal be the problem, but if the signal is that low, why is an ip assigned. 
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 10:23:17 am »

FWIW, I have experienced this on my local wireless AP, with plenty of signal strength.

I have to guess that it's a bcm chip problem
The linux support for these things can be limited. It's a hit-and-miss very often. I've had better results with ndiswrapper+wpa_supplicant

waynev

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 10:36:42 am »

FWIW, I have experienced this on my local wireless AP, with plenty of signal strength.

I have to guess that it's a bcm chip problem
The linux support for these things can be limited. It's a hit-and-miss very often. I've had better results with ndiswrapper+wpa_supplicant

Is it possible to use the ndiswrapper+wpa_supplicant approach on VL Live SOHO?  The USB adapter is a ZyDas (zd1211rw chip)

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 11:41:33 am »

I should be... it's just a matter of finding the right windows driver for your chip

I had to choose from like 4 of them... out of which 3 didn't work...

waynev

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 12:23:33 pm »

I should be... it's just a matter of finding the right windows driver for your chip

I have the installation CD for the ZyDass adapter and both windows and linux drivers are there, also I down loaded the SourceForge latest rewrite on this driver zd1211rw.

What else should I know.   Nevermind, all,  I got this baby on a down hill pull Grin
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 02:06:32 pm by whiskers » Logged
waynev

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 02:16:22 pm »

MOE-lnx...what did you use for your search criteria to find windows ndiswrapper windows driver?  I hope I'm asking the right question? 

MOE-lnx thanks, but never mind, I located the info I needed to do the task Grin
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:35:28 am by whiskers » Logged
waynev

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 02:38:12 pm »

Bigpaws

I believe I read someplace where there is no such thing as a dumb question, well possibly this one is, however I'm going to ask it anyway.

Lets say I type the command "cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver, and then a) no ip is forthcoming identifying a nameserver.  What do I do then?  b) Does this command actually resolv anything does it fix anything or is the return of the ip the answer?

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:10:27 pm by waynev » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 04:05:25 pm »

I can break this down:

cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver

cat = read file /etc/resolv.conf = File | = combine command  grep = match pattern nameserver = part of the answer

The return is an ipaddress normally the ip address of the router in your network, you could also
use the DNS naemserver of your ISP.

To add the nameserver:

Open a terminal as root, then mcedit /etc/resolv.conf
Then you can add to the file
nameserver 192.168.1.1

Change the ip for the ip of the router and then use F2 to save the file and F10 to exit mc.

mc = midnight commander

HTH

Bigpaws
waynev

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 04:30:56 pm »

I can break this down:

cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver

cat = read file /etc/resolv.conf = File | = combine command  grep = match pattern nameserver = part of the answer

The return is an ipaddress normally the ip address of the router in your network, you could also
use the DNS naemserver of your ISP.

To add the nameserver:

Open a terminal as root, then mcedit /etc/resolv.conf
Then you can add to the file
nameserver 192.168.1.1

Change the ip for the ip of the router and then use F2 to save the file and F10 to exit mc.

mc = midnight commander

HTH

Bigpaws

Thanks Big Paw...I'll chew on this for awhile and get back to you.  I know soon I'll be browsing with SOHO.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:35:26 pm by waynev » Logged
waynev

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 04:48:44 pm »

Cant make up my mind Grin
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 05:42:29 pm by waynev » Logged
waynev

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 05:41:07 am »

At 0530 hours today Vector SOHO's seamonkey bloomed forth and browsed on over to Vector Linux Home and then onto the forum.  I was able to write a snappy congrats to all you great supporters, but when I clicked send the signal dropped.  So here I am on windows typing to let you know success is at hand.  I'm convinced the Vector SOHO part of the equation is correct, and I do believe the problem is a weak signal.  However, wifiRadar shows a solid blue icon for signal, but nowhere can I find where it tells the percentage of signal strength nor the connection quality.  Well anyhoo! I believe complete succcess is at hand. Grin

cheers

whiskers
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:39:20 am by whiskers » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: