VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 01:36:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't log in  (Read 1640 times)
Tony_photoplus

« on: September 11, 2008, 12:26:16 pm »

I managed to load and get V light going, but the old comp didn't have a network card in and I put a spare one I had into the PCI slot, rebooted.  Went into the correct area where I could set up the network and it went fine until I setup the firewall, clicked new firewall and then done.  That was it, it booted me out and I can't get back in.  So what is the answer please?  And, please be simple in your answer as I get totally confused easily. 

This is an old comp and it was not slowing up as it did with Xubuntu which is great.  I just need Gimp and wine on as its for the local village photo club.  I teach them how to make better images, so wine will be used for Adobe Elements.  If successful will be used on all 4 machines.  Looking great so far if I could get back in.

Thanks

Tony
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:36:05 pm »

Assuming you are trying to log on locally (keyboard, monitor), try selecting linux-tui on boot and see if that works.
Tony_photoplus

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 11:36:10 pm »

Thanks Nightflier, but it didn't work, got stuck on line 74 in all the load up stuff.  Looks as if I am on my own on this looking at the responce.  I shall have to fumble around and see what further mistakes I can make to ensure it totally burns up the comp.

Tony
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:59:18 am »

A willingness to experiment and do research will serve you well when learning anything new  Smiley

Re-installing Vector with the network card already installed may solve your problem. If you want to try and troubleshoot the existing installation, post the last lines you see when it stops booting.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 06:23:37 am »

If enabling the firewall did this then disable it,
or reload.

You can use a livecd to disable the firewall and then
try booting. You would disable it by using the livecd
then go to the /etc/rc.d/ directory and then change the
file from executable to non executable.

HTH

Bigpaws
Tony_photoplus

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 09:18:18 am »

I have decided to reload and see if there is a better outcome.  I am sure I will be back later with more problems.

Thanks for your advice

Tony
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: