VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 11:59:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector and Bellsouth Westel Modem  (Read 2397 times)
davidh

« on: September 02, 2008, 06:49:01 pm »

Hello... this is my first post but have enjoyed using Vector Standard Edition for some time. Thank you for this excellent distro..  in fact, it has become my distro of choice.

Recently, I installed Vector 5.9 Standard for a friend and all is great except the Internet. Once configured, the Internet goes down after a few hours of inactivity and has to be reconfigured. She has BellSouth DSL and a Westell modem (don't know the modem model offhand, but it does have a router built-in).

Anyway, when the net goes down, in order for it to work again, I have to delete the etc/dhcp folder and then reconfigure the Etehrnet card via DHCP in VASM. She has been patient up till now but she is new to Linux and if this continues I would not want her to revert back to Windows 98!  Undecided

Any advice? Thank you in advance for your help!

David

p.s. One last thing... we are using OpenDNS via the modem's internal DNS setting.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 11:28:17 pm »

Your question does not have enough information.

Why are you using OpenDNS instead of the the ISP DNS?

It sounds more like a DNS issue vs a failing modem. You
did not mention wether this had been a problem before
changing to Vector.

First test the DNS ping Google as an ip and also as a
name. If the ip works that is an isp problem. If that does
not work then you either have a NIC card problem or
the Westel Modem is the problem.

You mention once configured, please explain the modem of the computer?
Is is set to always keep a connection? Are you using pppoe?

Those are the things to look at. If the problem continues answer the questions
above and someone can take this further.

Bigpaws
davidh

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 11:04:32 am »

I'll try to answer the questions as best as I can not being at the system....(I should be able to check it later this week).

1. Why are you using OpenDNS instead of the the ISP DNS?

My friend wants to take advantage of the filtering service provided by OpenDNS. This connection issue was prevalent with Vector before switching to OpenDNS.

2. You did not mention wether this had been a problem before changing to Vector.

The problem did not exist under Windows 98.

3. First test the DNS ping Google as an ip and also as a name. If the ip works that is an isp problem. If that does not work then you either have a NIC card problem or the Westel Modem is the problem.

I will have to wait until I am at the system for this one but as it did not occur under Windows 98, I am inclined to think it is a configuration issue. Of course, I will still try the above when I am physically at the system.

4. You mention once configured, please explain the modem of the computer?

Just setting the system to DHCP in the VASM control panel and deleting the etc/dhcp directory will connect the system to the Internet... BUT the connection lasts for only a few hours before that needs to be done again... and again...

5. Is is set to always keep a connection?

Yes.

6. Are you using pppoe?

I believe it is but I will need to be at the system to be 100% sure. I know when initially set to DHCP, I get the BellSouth modem launch page that asks for the username and password. Once logged in, I am connected... but only for a few hours before I have to repeat the process.

I will post again once I have the remaining information asked above... but if you know of anything to try in the meantime, please let me know.

Thanks for the help!

David
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:10:30 pm »

1. Why are you using OpenDNS instead of the the ISP DNS?

My friend wants to take advantage of the filtering service provided by OpenDNS. This connection issue was prevalent with Vector before switching to OpenDNS.

Where is DNS set up from Vector or the modem?
Also make sure that /etc/resolv.conf is correct.

4. You mention once configured, please explain the modem of the computer?

Just setting the system to DHCP in the VASM control panel and deleting the etc/dhcp directory will connect the system to the Internet... BUT the connection lasts for only a few hours before that needs to be done again... and again...

Try as root netconfig first. If no change try using a static ip.

6. Are you using pppoe?

In other words did you setup pppoe on Vector to authenticate with the ISP (NOT the modem)?

The answers to the above will allow for more help.

Bigpaws
davidh

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 12:33:48 pm »

Thanks for the help BigPaws...

We ended up doing a complete system reinstall yesterday as by the time I was able to get back to the system it would no longer boot  -- even into text mode. I took that opportunity to go ahead replace the motherboard in case any of our issues were caused by a possible failing Ethernet component. If this sporadic Internet connection problem reoccurs, I will be in contact in a day or two, but for future reference and in response to your questions below:

Where is DNS set up from Vector or the modem?
Also make sure that /etc/resolv.conf is correct.

It is setup in the modem config.

As for the resolv.conf, I have little experience with it, so I am not sure what would be its correct configuration -- other than what VASM does when I run the network config utility there.

Try as root netconfig first. If no change try using a static ip.

I will keep this in mind if it re-occurss. I did try the static IP once but the system did not connect to the Internet using that method; I did not try netconfig as root.

Are you using pppoe?

The pppoe was configured through the modem and WAS NOT setup in Vector. Perhaps that could have been the problem?

I have a lot of learning to do with Vector and Linux in general but I will eventually get there.

Thanks again!

David

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 03:39:02 pm »

/etc/resolve.conf is how Linux or any UNIX based OS knows about DNS.  Any configuration you make at the modem is irrelevant is /etc/resolv.conf is incorrect.  It can be configured via DHCP (probably what you are doing now) or statically.  I think your problem may well be that this file is being configured and then incorrectly reconfigured by dhcpd. 

My recommendation would be to change your network settings so that /etc/resolv.conf is statis, not autoconfigured by dhcpd. I suspect that is where your problem lies.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: