VectorLinux
April 20, 2014, 03:58:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VL is looking good  (Read 18540 times)
tripleRsystem

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 07:41:10 am »

I think we should get a few things straight.

1) the rankings on DW do not tell how popular a distribution is.  the ranking there only show how often a distributions name is clicked, and once you know about a distro there is not much motivation to go back to DW and click.

2) The DW rankings are easy to cheat. I have seen a script that finds proxy servers and hits DW repeatedly. The same could be done by asking your forum members to click DW each day or placing a redirect on your homepage, all have been done by other  distributions.

Undoubtly what you post is mostly true, however, your argument begs the question:  How then is Vector Linux to judge its popularity?  Until Vector Linux has an accurate understanding of its overall popularity within the community, the question of respect within the community is mostly a moot point.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:43:41 am by tripleRsystem » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 07:51:29 am »

We use one of these scripts until we're as popular as the brow distro Wink

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 09:12:16 am »

There are a couple ways you could measure VL's popularity using tools you already have.  You could also do it in a way that will aid in a new
users transition.

1. You could simply measure new participation in the forum.

or
2. Take that to another level.
Couldn't a browser pop up on 1st start up of VL with links to the help topics a new user would need the most.  Setting up wireless,  how to use vasm, how to use vasmcc,  how to change from vl-hot to hal, how to get samba going, how to fix a missing menu icon, etc.  Also through this link you could request the user to send his hardware information as an option. (via a copy paste of hard info)

You would get an idea of new usage by tracking the hits or you could require registration.

You could also eliminate some of the most common frustrations that drive some away from vl.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 09:18:08 am »

You would get an idea of new usage by tracking the hits or you could require registration.
I like this idea, but this could get annoying. Also, if you *require* registration (even if the stuff is free), kinda makes you look like M$
You could also eliminate some of the most common frustrations that drive some away from vl.
That I agree with and IMO, is where the efforts should be aimed at

tripleRsystem

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 09:48:13 am »

Finally a workable solution, I like it Wink
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:14:21 am by tripleRsystem » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 09:53:04 am »

Finally a workable solution, I like it.

Does this make us more popular? Or does it just make us seem more popular? Is there a difference?
waynev

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 12:25:17 pm »

Finally a workable solution, I like it.

Does this make us more popular? Or does it just make us seem more popular? Is there a difference?

At this point does it make a difference  Wink

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:31:38 pm by waynev » Logged
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 02:42:11 am »

I'm sure the guys over @ Distrowatch will love it if we start a DOS attack by scripts continuously clicking VL. That's a good way to get banned from there altogether.

IMO distrowatch is overrated though.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
tripleRsystem

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 05:12:14 am »

I'm sure the guys over @ Distrowatch will love it if we start a DOS attack by scripts continuously clicking VL. That's a good way to get banned from there altogether.

I don't believe for an instant anyone on this board considered anything so black hat.  I personally enjoyed and got a great deal of amusement plus a good laugh when MOE posted  Grin   And I remained amused, thanks MOE Grin
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 05:16:14 am »

I don't believe for an instant anyone on this board considered anything so black hat.  I personally enjoyed and got a great deal of amusement plus a good laugh when MOE posted  Grin   And I remained amused, thanks MOE Grin

Thank you.... I couldn't help myself ! Wink

tripleRsystem

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 05:35:18 am »

There are a couple ways you could measure VL's popularity using tools you already have.  You could also do it in a way that will aid in a new
users transition.

or
Couldn't a browser pop up on 1st start up of VL with links to the help topics a new user would need the most.  Setting up wireless,  how to use vasm, how to use vasmcc,  how to change from vl-hot to hal, how to get samba going, how to fix a missing menu icon, etc.  Also through this link you could request the user to send his hardware information as an option. (via a copy paste of hard info)

As to point #1:  It's always good business when parameters affecting ones business are understood, and I like the Idea of collecting data that may cause business parameters to vary.  However, collected data must be measured and against what yardstick of popularity will tracking hits from new users be measured?

As to point #2: This is good because any improvement here will translate quickly into customer satisfaction.  This may be the hook needed to transform newbies into Vector addicts.

As to registration:  This may be counter productive.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 06:57:06 am by tripleRsystem » Logged
tripleRsystem

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 06:51:35 am »

Excuse the double post Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 06:58:53 am by tripleRsystem » Logged
waynev

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 09:50:50 am »

I don't believe for an instant anyone on this board considered anything so black hat.  I personally enjoyed and got a great deal of amusement plus a good laugh when MOE posted  Grin   And I remained amused, thanks MOE Grin

Dang it!  I had almost completed the script Angry
waynev

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 10:01:07 am »

users transition.

or

The browser pop idea sounds good.  It would help VL newbies like me too transition.  There are a couple items on your list I never got solved my first time around with VL, and in frustration I moved on.  However I'm back to stay, even though I'm typing this on vindows.  It seems, VL does not want to stay wireless this morning Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:03:44 am by waynev » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 02:10:25 pm »

Since tripRsystem has raised the same issue in two threads I'm posting my response in two threads.  My apologies to those who've read this already...

Sorry, but I just don't see the point in thinking in terms of marketing and conventional business strategies.  Vector Linux makes exactly zero dollars if one new user downloads and installs VL or if a million do.  Yes, a few more people might by SOHO if it's more popular and I suppose that's good.  Most Linux companies make their money selling support and consulting services.  Marketing the new support offerings to businesses makes sense.  Worrying about if we're ranked 15th or 23rd on Distrowatch makes no sense and IMHO simply doesn't matter.

I'm a Linux professional and I would *NEVER* recommend Vector Linux to one of my customers for use either on the desktop or in the server room.  Why not?  When known security issues crop up sometimes someone gets a new package to fix the problem out.  Sometimes not.  Sometimes it happens quickly, sometimes it happens eventually, and sometimes it never happens at all.  If a security fix is packaged does it get tested and moved to the repositories promptly?  VL's history says no, absolutely not!

Do we inform users of security issues?  Sometimes yes, mostly no.  We have the mechanisms to do it in the forum, on the website, and via RSS.  Everything is in place and it's rarely used.  Look at the website -- no security news since July yet in August both DoS and buffer overflow vulnerabilities were discovered in xine-lib.  The good news is toothandnail did make a new package.  The bad news is that it just got into the patches repository a few days ago.  No information about it was ever disseminated to the users.

If VL wants to be taken seriously it needs to get its act in order when it comes to security.  That probably isn't going to happen on a volunteer basis.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: