VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 01:13:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help with: WBAR, touchscreen and Enlightenment  (Read 4475 times)
Lifebook

« on: September 15, 2008, 10:21:20 am »

Hi!

I didn't want to start a new topic for each one of my questions so I'll put them all in here.

First I need general help with applications manegement. How do I kill an application? For instance I accidentaly started wbar twice and couldn't quit one of the two running.
Is there a way to configure WBAR? I want to have an apple like desktop with no taskbar on the bottom with only WBAR running.

I would also like to install Enlightenement, so that I can choose it as my WM on startup/login screen. Do I just have to run the RPM package?

And last but not least: how can I configure my touchscrenn (Lifebook P1120). I have found this:
http://sifter.org/~simon/journal/20060413.html

There I downloaded the application and installed it successfully. System Benchmark finds it and the touchscreen works. However, to calibrate the screen I need to do "joytouch -cal" which I don"t know how to run. If I "open terminal here" in the directory I put the joytouch app it says no such command found.
Is there any other possibility to make the touchscreen work? How can I make the touchscreen driver/app start up automaticaly allready on the login screen?

Thank you for your answers in advance!!
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:54:00 am »

First I need general help with applications manegement. How do I kill an application? For instance I accidentaly started wbar twice and couldn't quit one of the two running.

I am assuming you are using vl gold 5.9

Method #1.
From the menu...
Menu--->System----->Xkill
this will turn your mouse into a scull and crossbones.  Put the nasty looking icon over top of the offending application and left click.  Right click turns xkill off.

Method #2.

From the menu
Meun---->System----->HTOP

Use page up and page down to search out the offending application. (Sometimes you will see multiple select any one of them.)
Click to highlight the application.
Press F9
press the up arrow 6 times to highlight 9 SIGKILL
Press enter.

Method #3
Open terminal
Type           xfce4-taskmanager
right click on the offending application....select kill.

You might want to make a launcher for this one on your panel.  I prefer it to the others.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 11:10:22 am »

I would also like to install Enlightenement, so that I can choose it as my WM on startup/login screen. Do I just have to run the RPM package?

This is a little dated but it may help.

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=2323.0

Enlightenment 0.16.8.13 is in the slacky.eu repositories.  This can be downloaded as a .tgz avoiding the whole .rpm thing.
I have never downloaded this and can not vouch for weather or not you will have to do any hunting to satisfy dependencies on your own.
http://www.slacky.eu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5912&Itemid=56

As far as the touchscreen.  I have no experience there.  Sorry I couldn't help more.
There is some really great help on this forum though, so you will not have to wait long, I'm sure.

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:51:02 pm »

press the up arrow 6 times to highlight 9 SIGKILL
Press enter.

You can press the number of the kill method. For instance, F9, 9 (for sigkill), Enter.
Only found it now actually, but beats pressing the arrow 6 times.  Wink
Also, if you can't find your app in the midst of the htop confusion, press F3 for searching and type the name of the application.

You might want to make a launcher for this one on your panel.  I prefer it to the others.
Or a keyboard shortcut (for the task manager, or for xkill, or for htop). I find having a keyboard shortcut for xkill is very practical and fast.

And Method #4:
Open a console and type "killall <process name>". That can be very fast as well. You can also pass the number of the method, for example, "killall -9 wbar" (-9 will kick the bejesus out of any stubborn process).
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 01:54:03 pm »

If I "open terminal here" in the directory I put the joytouch app it says no such command found.

Try putting ./ before the app name.
Code:
./joytouch -cal

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 02:05:58 pm »

The problem I have with xkill is that it often leaves processes running and if you try to restart the app, it may not want to start. I think it thinks it's still running. xkill is good for quick and dirty stops, though.

My first choice is htop. That doesn't always work, though. So I generally wind up opening a terminal and typing
ps -e
to get the list of my processes. Then I do
kill processnumber
(substituting the number of the process).

I then do
ps -e
again to see if the process(es) are gone. Often they're not. Then I go
kill -9 processnumber
and that nearly always does the trick.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Lifebook

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:44:39 pm »

Hi! Thanks!
That will do some great help!

How can I for instance add an icon on the taskbar for a command?
And is there a way to configure WBAR?
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 03:52:48 pm »

Regarding icons on the panel:  which desktop environment are you running?  The answer is somewhat different for each one.

As you've already surmised Enlightenment has not been packaged or offered for Vector Linux.  Your choice is to compile from source or to use a third party Slackware package.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 05:49:20 pm »

I'm going to keep on assuming you are using VL 5.9 Gold. 

Just guessing because wbarconfig is in the menu of deluxe and its called vlbar and launched from the terminal in light.  But if I'm wrong just ignore the following.

So for VL 5.9 here is what you do.

How can I for instance add an icon on the taskbar for a command?
And is there a way to configure WBAR?

1st question, I think your referring to the panel bar and not wbar.

To give you some reference take a look at some of the iconed items in your panel already.  The notepad, house, or even the file with the wrench in it.  Right click on any one of them and click on properties.  These are all launchers.  Some can even launch several different things. (One of my favorite things about xfce)  You probably already know you can create your own launcher by right clicking on an empty part of the panel -->choosing add new item -->launcher.

Under the Name line and Description line you will see a box with an icon in it.   That box has an arrow.  When you click the arrow you can select any of those icons given for your launcher.

Not good enough, but wait, there's more.
Click on the folder to the right of that line and navigate to /usr/share/pixmaps/
choose any file of your liking that ends in .png Click open and there you go.

But wait still more...
Use catfish to search the name of the app you've made a launcher for and .png and it will find the icon and the path for you. Just put that info in the line for icon in the launcher properties.
ex. /usr/share/wbar/iconpack/wbar.osx/nautilus.png.     Will give you the nautilus.png used by wbar.

Speaking of wbar...

Your configuration file for wbar can be found at /usr/share/wbar/
Open the folder as root or you will not be able to make any changes.
right click on the file called dot.wbar and open with mousepad (or the text editor of your choice)

The first 3 lines are for the bar itself but each set of three after that gives the program the icon location, the launch command, and the text discription.

If you want to take something out just delete it
If you want to add something in follow the same format. Including the i: c: t: they have starting each line.

For example I added appfinder to wbar with this...
i: /usr/share/icons/Rodent/48x48/misc/xfce4-appfinder.png
c: xfce4-appfinder
t: Appfinder

Clicked save. Started Wbar and there it was.

Lifebook

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 04:34:40 am »

Thank you! That's nice, just tried it out.

But I still have got a few unsolved questions. I'm using 5.9 STD Gold, btw...

1. How can I move the WBAR to a location of my choise on the screen?

2. Why doesn't the joytouch app (touchscreen) perform an autostart although I put the launcher into "Autostarted Applications"?

3. I installed Enlightenment DR16 and it said that the installation was successfull. But how can I start it or make it my default WM? In "VASM -> X-Window -> Window Manager" it shows "e" which I chose to be my default WM, logged out, chose "default" as the session WM. Vector came up with a black screen and then returned to the log in screen. Did I do smth wrong?
I would like to try Enlightenment because I have read that it is lighter than xfce and since xfce is a bit slow on my old machine... JWM isn't fancy enough Tongue

4. Are there any possibilities to make the touchscreen work? For instance using a Windows driver, as I did with my Intel PRO Wireless 2200 BG?

Any help on those is greatly appreciated! Thx in advance!
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:09:28 am »

1. How can I move the WBAR to a location of my choise on the screen?

Under 5.9 Standard, wbar is started by a script - /usr/bin/vlbar. That script sets the parameters that it uses on startup (icon size, screen position, etc.). You probably don't want to edit that - it is better to customize it for your own use. There are two steps to doing that. First, if you want it to autostart when you boot the machine, you need to create a wbar.desktop in ~/.config/autostart. This is what I use:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.9.4
Type=Application
Name=Wbar
Comment=Toolbar
Exec=/home/red2/bin/startwbar
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Hidden=false

I'm using my own script to start wbar, since I found that it needs a bit of time for the Xfce desktop to settle before it is started. The scrip I use is as below:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sleep 2
wbar -above-desk -p bottom -isize 28 -z 1.8 -j 1.0 -bpress -nanim 3 -balfa 0

That starts wbar at the bottom of the screen, sets the iconsize to 28 pixels, and sets a few other options (to see what options are available, enter 'wbar --help' from a terminal).

To customize the applications shown on the bar, copy /usr/share/wbar/dot.wbar to ~/.wbar and edit .wbar to suit your needs. You should note that if wbar can't load an icon file, it will simply fail silently. To find out what is going wrong, try to start it from a terminal - it will normally tell you what has caused the problem.

There is a GUI configuration application for wbar, can't remember if its in 5.9 Standard. If not, you may be able to install it using Gslapt.

There has been a bit of discussion in the forum related to wbar. Unfortunately the forum search doesn't work very well any more, so they may take some finding. Here is one for your future reference:

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=4877.0

paul
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: