VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 01:22:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 080916 teakgtk-17.6.6 [VL 6.0]  (Read 1420 times)
caitlyn
Vectorian

« on: September 15, 2008, 09:40:06 pm »

toothandnail has packaged the latest GTK2 version of the Tea editor for VL 6.0.

Package: teagtk-17.6.6-i586-1vl60.tlz
MD5: 93e49d6a1729d183f059a2a552f4599e
Package Size: 359K
Installed Size: 1810K

Sources: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-current/source/testing/x-apps/teagtk

Code:
teagtk: teagtk (a modest, easy-to-use GTK+2-based editor)
teagtk:
teagtk: Tea is a GK2-based editor with many useful features for HTML
teagtk: editing. It features a small footprint, a tabbed layout engine,
teagtk: support for multiple encodings, coe snippets, templates,
teagtk: customizable hotkeys and more.
teagtk: NOTE: New name - uninstall older version before installing
teagtk:
teagtk: License: GPL
teagtk: Authors: Peter 'Roxton' Semiletov <peter.semiletov@gmail.com
teagtk: Website: http://tea-editor.sourceforge.net/

After testing this package, please take a moment and come back to this thread to let us know how it works for you.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:45:24 pm »

Working good here, thanks.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:39:12 am »

I downloaded and installed it in VL 6.0 Light, and I got this error message;

error while loading shared libraries: libQt.Script.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I looked in the libraries repository, but QT 4.4 is an 81 MB download : apart from anything else, it's totally unrealistic for dialup. Can anyone please advise?

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic.
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:36:01 am »

I downloaded and installed it in VL 6.0 Light, and I got this error message;

error while loading shared libraries: libQt.Script.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I looked in the libraries repository, but QT 4.4 is an 81 MB download : apart from anything else, it's totally unrealistic for dialup. Can anyone please advise?

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic.

I would have to suggest that you give Tea a miss. That version is getting a bit long in the tooth, and the author is no longer developing GTK versions. I've not had much luck building the QT version (which would also require some large dep downloads, unfortunately).

Depending on what you need from an editor, I would suggest either Medit or Geany, both of which are in the repos and have less in the way of deps.

paul.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 05:41:01 am »

Thanks for replying,

OK, fair enough. I've used Geany in the past but don't know much about Medit.

Text editors for Vector (and Linux): I'd like to see an equivalent of some of the great Windows text editors such as Boxer, Textpad and UltraEdit which combine power with ease of use for actually writing with; most Linux editors are designed around the needs of programmers rather than writers.

The two I do like are Joe's editor (which has Wordstar keystroke compatibility) and Cream, which is basically a set of scripts which run on top of GVim and make it easier to use.

GVim (and Vim) is a fantastically capable editor once you're fully familiar with it. I know enough to get by in Vim and use it sometimes but maybe I'm just too lazy to put in the effort (and it requires a lot) to master it properly Smiley
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:42:34 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 09:07:59 pm »

Vim is my favorite. JEdit for a X editor. Kate is very good if you happen to use kde, too big and big deps otherwise. I have been trying Komodo Edit (aka Openkomodo) and looks pretty good.
BTW, I always look at TextMate for Mac in programming screencasts and I admit I would like to try it Grin

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 11:33:17 pm »

You can try to run one of those windows text editors under wine.  I've successfully ran ultraedit (some old version though).

Anyway, if you know vim (or emacs) well, you don't need anything else.  And both are multiplatform, so you'll find them everywhere you go.

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 01:09:25 am »

Thanks for your replies. I've heard of JEdit but not komodo; I may check it/them out soon.

I prefer to avoid Wine for reasons of personal taste (using it seems to me like an admission of defeat on my part as regards the Linux options available), but nevertheless, if the Windows options are clearly the best, I may give it a go.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 04:50:13 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: