VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 05:58:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Can no longer print after CUPS update  (Read 3422 times)
edward

« on: September 16, 2008, 03:27:22 pm »

One of the updates last night, was for CUPS.  I believe the updated filename had 1.3.7 in it.

I just discovered that I could not print anything tonight, when I could yesterday, before this update.  When I try to connect to the CUPS server using localhost://631, I get "connection refused", if I am not able to get to the main screen.  If I can successfully get to the main screen, it shows CUPS 1.3.3, not 1.3.7. 

Even after a reboot and also when logged in as root as well, same thing.

EDIT:  After typing cupsd -l in the console, it displayed launchd ( 8 ) support not complied in, running in normal mode.  I then tried the URL again, it displayed CUPS 1.3.7 this time and then showed the printer already installed.

Is there a reason why it is loading/running 1.3.3 instead of 1.3.7 at startup?  And can that be fixed?

EDIT # 2:  On another reboot, CUPS displayed 1.3.3 again and also obtained "connection refused".

Gslapt indicates 1.3.7 is installed.  I am guessing that when the updater updated CUPS 1.3.3 to 1.3.7, not all of the 1.3.3 files were removed, apparently causing this problem.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 04:00:36 pm by edward » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:10:51 pm »

It should be "localhost:631" without the slashes you have.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 06:55:17 pm »

edward I did an upgrade right after you did, so it made sense to check if I was having similar problems.

First I tried VasmCC-->Services-->Cups  ....that failed.

Then I tried browser localhost:631    ...that failed.

Then I tried seamonkey localhost:631  ...that worked and cups showed as 1.3.7

Curious I tried dillo //localhost:631  ...that also worked (have to use the // for dillo)

Then I thought it's not cups it's opera that's the problem.  So I changed the default browser.
In the terminal type...(you must be root)
set-default-browser
Change it to dillo if you havn't installed another browser.  (Seamonkey is available in gslapt)

After I changed the browser I was able to launch the cups service in vasmCC.

Could you try the above and report back.  We may be able to help the powers that be isoloate were things are going wrong.

I never did have any trouble with anything showing a lower version number, however.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
edward

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:23:02 pm »

lagagnon:  Was a typo, should have indicated localhost:631 without slashes.

Stretched: 

Opera would not even bring up the main CUPS page using localhost:631, currently unavailable, could not connect to remote server.

SeaMonkey (installed in /home directory):  Brings up the CUPS home page, displaying version 1.3.3.  I will click any of the tabs at the top and get "Failed to Connect".

While still using SeaMonkey with the "Failed to Connect" for http://localhost:631/printers showing, I opened a terminal as root and did:  cupsd -l  received the same message as in my first post in this thread.  Then clicked Try Again on that screen.  It then opened up the Printers page, with CUPS 1.3.7 in the SeaMonkey title bar.

After cupsd -l was run, CUPS works fine, until the next reboot, when CUPS 1.3.3 comes up again in the browser. 

I tried Dillo after cupsd -l and it came up as 1.3.7.

One thing I thought of was to remove CUPS 1.3.7 using Gslapt, disable /patches, then try to install CUPS 1.3.3 from /packages, if it is in there.  Worth a try???

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 12:30:33 pm »

While I have no doubt that your install of cups got fouled up somehow I don't think there is a problem with version 1.3.7 per se.  It's working perfectly well here with both printers in the household, an Epson and an HP.  My suggestion would be to remove cups entirely, make sure every last bit of it is gone, and then reinstall 1.3.7.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
edward

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 12:41:43 pm »

If I use Gslapt to remove CUPS 1.3.7, will it automatically remove all other things that it uses?  Or should I use the command line (and which command) for that?

EDIT:  I tried Gslapt, it wants to remove 136 additional packages along with CUPS.  Some I know, like amarok, have nothing to do with CUPS.  I will cancel out.

EDIT 2:  slapt-get --remove cups  or  slapt-get --ignore-dep --remove cups    from the command line both want to remove 21 additional packages, including some (abiword and xine) not related to CUPS.

EDIT 3:  slapt-get --no-dep --remove cups results in "Segmentation fault".

How can CUPS alone be removed?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:58:40 pm by edward » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:36:07 pm »

You could try 'removepkg -w cups > cups_removal.txt' and then view the created text file to see what all would be removed.  It'll take a little scanning but you should be able to see exactly what would be removed.
edward

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 01:58:41 pm »

Resulted in a 38-page text file.  Not one item looked like a package name.  When I did a search for "1.3.3" in the file, nothing was present.

Isn't there ANY way to simply delete ONLY the cups package and nothing else???  There was only one other CUPS package in Gslapt, cups-pdf

Obviously, CUPS is hosed on my system.  If it cannot be repaired/fixed, someone please tell me.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:03:38 pm by edward » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 02:17:35 pm »

If you look at /var/log/packages, you should see whether cups is listed. Also, when you open the text file (such as cups-1.3.3-i586-2vl59), you should see a list of the places where the cups package installed stuff. You will not find any package names, just files that the cups package installed. As you'll see, many of those files are in just a few directories. So when that directory is deleted, you'll get rid of a lot of what's on those 38 pages in one fell swoop.

I never, ever delete a package with GSlapt or slapt-get. A couple of years ago I had a very bad experience of deleting a package through GSlapt and having it take out TONS more stuff than just the package. I always use
removepkg nameofpackage
as root at a terminal prompt. I think it's the most conservative method for removing packages and it's never done me dirty like GSlapt has.

/var/log/packages is an extremely useful and informative directory for seeing what's installed on your system and where the packages put files.
--GrannyGeek

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:19:29 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
edward

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 02:42:35 pm »

Then I will remove cups using removepkg cups.  If it hoses the system further after I reinstall cups after this, I will let you know...
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 02:55:10 pm »

I agree with Granny, the best way to remove a package is removepkg, all the pkgtools are great IMHO. To find out what version of cups you have installed, you can see the output of running as root in the terminal

Code:
ls /var/log/packages/cups*

and also

Code:
cups-config --version

Just for the record, I tried to reproduce your situation and all worked fine here after the upgrade. I do not own a printer Sad, but I am able to see the cups web interface. Also the start up script in /etc/rc.d/rc.cups is not overwritten by default, it should work just like before the upgrade. I dunno what went wrong in your system, but I am sure it is fixable.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:56:49 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
edward

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 03:05:17 pm »

remove pkg cups
slapt-get install cups

And it goes from bad to worse.

Launched web browser, "failed to connect" for localhost:631

Ran cupsd -l again, clicked "Try Again"...404 Not Found.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:09:10 pm by edward » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 03:06:56 pm »

Try sh /etc/rc.d/rc.cups start

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
edward

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 03:30:34 pm »

I have no idea if that is going to work.

WHY?  Because...NOW the system hangs at bootup on "Setting up firewall              OK" and I've been looking at this for 10 minutes now!

The system is now obviously hosed.  I'm through with this software. 

Goodbye.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 04:11:46 pm »

You've had a ton of problems nobody can reproduce.  I honestly believe your system was hosed after the initial install and we've been trying to fix multiple systems without getting at the root problem which was there from the beginning.  Your experience with Vector Linux, based on your posts, is unique.  That tells me something went wrong on your system that caused everything else.

The correct answer, it seems to me, is to start over from scratch.  Somehow I don't think the results would be the same.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: