VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 11:19:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector linux in Acer Aspire one?  (Read 26150 times)
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 02:09:50 am »

Ok, final chapter:

The jmb module above is what makes the card readers work fine. But breaks hibernation.
There are, I think, 3 ways in which this module can show up:

1. It is called with modprobe before the pciehp module, like I did above. This leads to the best outcome, both card readers work fine automatically.

2. You put a card in, the module gets loaded automatically, take it out, then put it in again and the card shows up in your desktop. A bit more cumbersome, and loads the jmb module by itself.

3. The module can show up automatically at boot, if you have previously done a setpci "trick":
setpci -d 197b:2381 AE=47 , and you do that for 2381, 2382, 2383, 2384 . This makes the card readers show up as pci devices, and then the module gets loaded at boot. This seems to survive reboots, and I cannot get to the previous state (except for 2381, which still doesn't appear in lspci). However, it only works if the devices exist already, so one of the previous methods is necessary for them to show up.

In any case, ALL of these methods end up with the jmb module loaded and hibernation hangs, and is difficult (very difficult...) to remove that module... so although method 1 is the best and most functional solution, breaking suspend and hibernation is not acceptable (especially after every reboot).

The solution
1. Load the pciehp module at boot. This is necessary anyway, even if the jmb module is loaded.
It requires putting "/sbin/modprobe pciehp" in /etc/rc.d.rc.modules AND "options pciehp pciehp_force=1 pciehp_slot_with_bus=1" in /etc/modprobe.conf

2. Blacklist the jmb38x_ms module in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist . This (I think) solves the problems with hibernation.

3. Get the pciehp module to unload when hibernating. This (I think) only gets you to resume from suspend a lot faster. Put "pciehp" in /etc/hibernate/blacklisted-modules.

The LEFT card reader will always work. But because there is no jmb module, the RIGHT card reader only works IF:

1. You put the card in, take it out, run "setpci -d 197b:2381 AE=47" (I think it's not necessary for the other 23xx values, but you might as well), put it back again; OR

2. You calll the jmb38x_ms module manually with modprobe, it should work fine as soon as you put the card in the first time, but will break hibernation later, and you won't be able to remove the module.

Finally, this is all for SD cards... there are 4 other modules loaded by linpus, which might be necessary for other card types (mspro_block, flash_bd, xd_card, jmb38x_xd). I have no clue about the consequences of loading these modules. Blacklisting the jmb38x_ms module also might break other card types (Memory Stick?).

This is WAY more convoluted than I ever wanted it to be... But, hey, I prefer to have suspend and hibernation working so I don't mind that much using the litlle insert / run setpci / insert again hack.

I'm done with this and will get back to real life now.... (until I try VL6 on it  Wink )
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 05:43:50 pm »

wcs: fantastic hard work on your part. I don't suppose you want to make an image of your system for us who might want 5.9 on an Aspire One do you?  ;-)

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
xirtyllo

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 12:24:21 pm »

Hi everybody!

I just registered to the forum, but i follow vector linux since 5.8 and i already installed it in 3 different computers, & always very happy about it!

i just bought an acer one, and i would like to ask if you can summarize in a post the steps needed to install it... the 5.9 stable version, possibly..?

Thanks a lot to everybody!

Tom
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 12:40:38 pm »

Hi Tom and welcome to the forums.

Hopefully in a week my exams will be over and I'll have time to hack a bit with AA1 and wcs' indications. I'll try vl6 because I've been told hw support is better than 5.9 (for netbook matters).  I'll try to do a summary.

If you try it, and come up with something useful, don't hesitate posting your findings.

See ya around!

xirtyllo

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 12:56:34 pm »

Hi Kid!
i was writing this post when i got your reply! thanks for it.
i think vector would be a wonderful OS for this mini-laptop! i used vector on very old computers pentium II & earlier pentium III, and they were very happy with it!

i post what i was already writing, so i can start to collect some ideas...
good luck!
& THX
Tom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, reading better the previous posts i understand that with version 6.0 everything should be much easier, e.g. wireless connection out of the box (right?).

so the steps (according to my very limited point of view) should be:

1- download the 6.0 iso and unpack everything on a 1GB USB stick (is this enough to make the VL installer bootable via usb stick?)

2- installing as normal

3- (maybe replace xorg.conf with the original one found in Linpus?)

--- at this point i should already have a usable pc with working wi-fi connection...?

4- do the required steps to enable the SD card reader (that i personaly don't need much and don't mind)

please correct me :-)

thank you,

Tom
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 05:10:01 am »

I haven't tried the latest RC of VL6 on the aspire one, but I think a lot of stuff should be working out of the box due to the newer kernel. Namely, wireless, hibernate, and X.

Copying the Linpus xorg.conf shouldn't be necessary, but you might have to change a few things in the default xorg.conf if you want to connect the aao to an external monitor (specifically, the Virtual line depending on the external resolution).

Forgetting the card reader which kind of works, but is a pain in 5.9 because of some interactions with hibernate, the only other things are: (1) special keys that can be activated by some lines in rc.local and the .Xmodmap file, and (2) some scripts that are called by the keys, such as changing to an external monitor, hibernating, and muting the volume.

With 6.0 things should be easier, and I'll see if I can come up with a package that installs these scripts and makes the changes in /etc/rc.d/rc.local and .Xmodmap.

wcs: fantastic hard work on your part. I don't suppose you want to make an image of your system for us who might want 5.9 on an Aspire One do you?  ;-)

That sounds like a good option, though at the moment my system is not very clean anymore.
I can install it again at some point, but given that the new VL is just coming out, it might make more sense to get it to work perfectly in VL6. What do you think?
xirtyllo

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2009, 09:09:51 am »

wow!!!
a working image of Vector linux for Acer One would be a dream!

i've been looking around and there's no easy-to-setup linux distribution for this (wonderful) laptop..

there are some ubuntu projects on good way... i tried "Linux4one" based on ubuntu remix... i was quite happy (at least more happy than Linpus!) but the wireless suddently stopped working.. and even re-installing it still don't work (!?)

so, if you put up a pre-packed Vector One, i will surely test it!

PS: regarding the wireless: the wireless switch on the computer case... is it hardware controlled or software controlled? the orange right led seems to be software controlled, because in Linux4one it was switched off but i could still use the wireless.
and when the network started going crazy i had the impression than the switch was somehow  not responding correctly...

Tom
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 04:03:08 am »

I got to install vl 6.0 in my AAO.

Some quirks, but some other nice things.

Webcam ok. no problem at all.
Resolution ok. There's a correct option for 8'9 screens, so it's painless
booting time:  about 30 seconds from grub/lilo to login screen.  Not bad, but I've seen better performances. (I haven't done any optimization yet)
Network:  I couldn't get ethernet nor wireless to work the first time.  After some trial & error without much success I rebooted and ethernet worked so I got connected.  Next reboot, ethernet died again.... I'll look deeper to that X-File.

When I solve ethernet, I'll install madwifi and hope everything will be ok with wifi too.

I'll keep you informed

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 11:44:28 am »

You shouldn't need madwifi.  The latest Atheros (ath5k) driver in the kernel now does everything madwifi did and more.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 12:56:21 pm »

Wireless here working out of the box on the aao with VL 6.0 .
Haven't tried wired yet.

Sometimes the wifi switch might be a bit inconsistent and you might need to press it a couple of times to get wireless back.
(I doubt that's the problem, though)
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2009, 02:22:15 pm »

Sometimes the wifi switch might be a bit inconsistent and you might need to press it a couple of times to get wireless back.
(I doubt that's the problem, though)

Embarrassed   I'm afraid my problem was that.

Sofar I've tested some things and everything worked out of the box.  Only minor glitches to fix, like the wireless led, and I'll look at the ethernet thing when I have some time, but in fact, I'll always use my AAO unwired.

Webcam works perfectly with no configuration at all !!!

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2009, 05:33:46 pm »

Only minor glitches to fix, like the wireless led

In previous kernels, we could issue a couple of commands to make it light up:
Code:
sysctl -w dev.wifi0.ledpin=3
sysctl -w dev.wifi0.softled=1

I read somewhere that the led doesn't work in kernels >= 2.6.27 .
Of course, there are lots of benefits in having a 2.6.27 one, so...

Don't know what the status is at the moment, or if this will be fixed.

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2009, 04:30:25 pm »

Some weeks ago I wrote a little article of how I got to install vl on my AAO without having an external cd reader. and only with a 512 Mb usb flash memory.

I first installed arch linux, and then I downloaded vl iso, to later install it.

Well, the post is not completely written but it has the main outlines that can make one succeed in very few steps. 

I hope to rewrite it when I find some time, but anyway: for the moment, that's it : http://puntoblogspot.blogspot.com/2009/03/vector-linux-60-in-my-acer-aspire-one.html

Brand-X

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2009, 11:17:18 am »

---My First Post---

Hello kidd, wcs,

I'm just checking in on the status of the project.  I'm expecting an AA1 in a couple of days and eagerly look forward to breaking it. Grin  My hope is once I've tried it on my own (with predictable but sad results) I can load an image or print out a detailed noob guide that have been mentioned...

~B
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 12:54:38 pm »

great!

I hope this weekend I'll have some time and will install vectorlinux light in AAO.  I expect to do some profiling .

For me, the worst problem was booting from a bootable usb with my 512Mb usb key.  I couldn't find such a small usb distro with kernel 2.6.

Once I got arch booting and did the partitions, everything went just perfect.

btw, welcome to vl Brand-X

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: