VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 12:13:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector linux in Acer Aspire one?  (Read 28534 times)
Brand-X

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2009, 11:11:12 pm »

Thanks kidd!

So as soon as my AAO shows up (April 24) I'm going to slap VL6.0-STD-Gold on it (I got the 160gb HD, 1024mb RAM version of the AAO).  I'm going to install the iso from a 8gb usb thumb drive using the vinstall-iso script.  Would one of you compile a list of further modifications that need to be made to the default install (ie the wifi leds, special keys for changing to an external monitor and hibernating and muting the volume, and any other outstanding issues that kidd and wcs have discovered in 6.0 if any). That is unless the package wcs mentioned is ready to rock in a week Wink

Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate the hard work and expertise.
~B
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2009, 09:06:45 am »

I've just finished my vl light install.

For the moment I've done a normal installation.

This week I expect to have time to optimize it a bit.

For the moment, here's what I have.
http://puntoblogspot.blogspot.com/2009/04/installing-vectorlinux-60-light-on-acer.html

Brand-X

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2009, 12:54:09 pm »

I'll keep checking back for your results. 

I see that you went with VL-Light.  Should I not use Gold?

I'll post what I do and what issues I run into when I try my hand this, mostly so I can convince you guys to help me fix 'em, but also as a 'noobs' prespective of the process.

~B
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2009, 01:07:10 pm »

Gold is ok. in fact, I successfully installed gold, and it was working great, but I wanted to try light, to see if I could go any lighter on resources.

As I use really light window managers and apps, maybe the difference between std and light is not so big.

Brand-X

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2009, 09:59:30 am »

I plan on using Fluxbox and since this uber piece of super-computer is designed for web browsing and email I don't expect to have too much need for heavy duty software either.

My reasoning behind the intention of going with gold was that the fuller version would more likely have everything needful already included and would therefore require less mandatory dialing in.  If the light verson does the job just as easily I'll go with less bloat thank you.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2009, 10:15:57 am »

I have an acer aspire 1 as well.  I have been using Gold on it since version rc4.6.  I' use it for work and for a lot more than net browsing.  I've been creating the staffs scheduals with gnumeric, creating store signs with Inkscape and Gimp and updates to the website with kompozer (my website, not my work.).  You will undoubtedly be faster in fluxbox or running on vl light, but I wouldn't say XFCE is noticeably slow either.  This little atom processor deserves more credit.  I think as an experiment in the other direction I'll try  installing KDE 4.2 on it. 

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2009, 01:18:04 pm »

...  I think as an experiment in the other direction I'll try  installing KDE 4.2 on it. 

Great!  Please, tell us how it goes.  It's good to see to which limits we can push our AAO Wink

If readers want, I can give a more extensive tutorial about trimming down vl light to the limit (as far as I can, and being still usable) .  Obviously, it will use some strange apps with strange keybingings, but well, you can't have everything Wink

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2009, 06:15:58 pm »

My reasoning behind the intention of going with gold was that the fuller version would more likely have everything needful already included and would therefore require less mandatory dialing in.  If the light verson does the job just as easily I'll go with less bloat thank you.

I'm primarily a VL6 Standard Deluxe user, but I installed VL 6 Light on a 4-gig partition I hope to use for packaging. If you're planning to use your Aspire primarily for browsing and e-mail, Light out of the box has Firefox, Opera, and two lighter browsers. Opera includes an e-mail client that I've been using on all my computers (Linux and Windows) for years. You could add Thunderbird or Sylpheed from the repos if you want them instead of Opera. The browsers in Light already have Flash, Java, and mplayer-plugin and there's XPDF included. You could remove Opera and/or Firefox and install SeaMonkey from the repos for another all-in-one solution. SeaMonkey's e-mail client is similar to Thunderbird.

Light has players for music and DVDs, a lightweight burning application, and GQview for viewing and cataloguing photos. Siag Office is pretty weak, but it does have a minimalist word processor and spreadsheet.

IceWM is the default window manager. It has a lighter footprint than XFce, but is quite configurable and has lots of possibilities. I was impressed! JWM is even lighter. I am quite impressed by Light and if I had a netbook, I would certainly put VL Light on it. You can make it into whatever you want, but if you're trying to avoid big downloads from the repos, I think there is enough in the ISO to provide for most of what you need and would likely be doing on a netbook.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2009, 07:17:05 pm »

There is also claws mail..a little better than sylpheed and lighter than thunderbird I think.

Fluxbox on vl-light was added to the login menu during install but on vl-std I had to log in tui and startx to get it..likely an easy fix for the experienced but as default install..is easier on light

would be nice to see a good how to for the aao installs..I seen one a few days ago and they are very reasonably priced..

cheers

Everything Is Relative
Brand-X

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2009, 02:04:07 am »

I cannot "burn" the ISO to my USB stick, or get the partition on the stick to be bootable. Help?
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2009, 01:33:46 am »

I cannot "burn" the ISO to my USB stick, or get the partition on the stick to be bootable. Help?

Brand-X I had major difficulties here as well. In the end I had to remove the hard drive and do the installation on another machine. You can read the whole sorry tale here:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=9070.0

UNetbootin only works with Live CDs so it won't do what you want either. If you can use an external DVD drive that would be the easiest, I think.

The eeePC now happily works with VL, see:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7542.msg61038#msg61038

All the best

Brand-X

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2009, 04:27:52 am »

Yeah I broke down and bought a USB DVD-RW drive.  Anyway the upshot is I'm posting from the fresh VL installation on my brand new AAO.  So far so good, though I've run into some weird issues trying to install software from rpm (apps not in the gslapt repo's).  I'll post those in the installation forums though. 

Has anyone made headway on the wifi led issue?  Thus far that is the only loss of performance I've experienced.  Though now that I write this I cannot remember if I've seen if the suspend/hibernate is working (it's either been off or I've been too busy playing with it.

~B
Brand-X

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2009, 09:44:34 am »

I installed Kismet and configured it.  When I ran it I got this:

FATAL: arptype 803 not supported by libpcap - falling back to cooked socket

Which it appears is due to being compiled with an ancient version of libpcap.  Not to worry, right? 

I'll just get the latest version, reinstall and move on. 

Alas it appears as though I broke the wireless.  I've tried down'ing and up'ing wlan0, manually changing the mode back to managed, killing and restarting wpa_supplicant, endlessly clicking the wireless switch and endlessly trying to reconnect with the gui all to no avail.  It gets better, I cannot seem to establish a wired connection either.

I should post this somewhere else right? It's not exactly on topic.

~B
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2009, 10:40:07 pm »

It gets better, I cannot seem to establish a wired connection either.
If you can't start wired, then maybe it's the network setup, not a wireless problem at all.  Smiley

Kismet? Does wifi-radar do the same thing? It's already in the repos.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2009, 05:41:45 am »

It gets better, I cannot seem to establish a wired connection either.
If you can't start wired, then maybe it's the network setup, not a wireless problem at all.  Smiley

Kismet? Does wifi-radar do the same thing? It's already in the repos.

Kismet is a network auditing software. It is normal that your connection wouldnt work after using it. AFAIK you need to restore all the wireless settings, including mode, channels, essid, ip, etc. If you happen to use it often, a wrapper for restoring settings of your wireless could solve the problem.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: