VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 09:10:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual Machine Disk Size  (Read 1157 times)
LeeDB

« on: September 25, 2008, 07:27:21 pm »

Hello,

I installed Vector light under VMware with the intent of creating a virtual machine that I could distribute to co-hobbyists that were interested in using the Xastir software package.  Basically the idea was to pre-install Xastir in a Vector Light virtual machine and let folks download it and use it without needing to install it themselves.  Xastir is an open source software application used by ham radio operators to plot positions of participants using the automatic position reporting system (APRS).

Previously pre-installing Xastir in a virtual machine had been done with Xubuntu - the idea being to make it relatively lightweight.  However the Xubuntu version is set up to use 256MB of RAM, and I thought it would be good to try to build a virtual machine with VL light and set it to use only 128MB of RAM.   It worked, and I ended up with a virtual machine that runs nicely using only 128MB.

Here's the unexpected problem, however.  Xubuntu installed clean took up a bit over 2GB of space, i.e. the VMware virtual disk was about 2.1GB if I recall correctly.  After loading all the needed libraries and compiling Xastir, the virtual disk ended up at about 2.7GB in size.  Although VL light installed clean only used about 1.4GB of space (if I recall correctly again), by the time I found and installed the equivalent libraries, the virtual disk had expanded to 3.5GB!  Although I ended up with a good performing virtual machine that used minimal memory, it was much larger than I expected, and basically blew up any plans to distribute.

To show what libraries were loaded, below is a link to the HowTo for Ubuntu - installing from CVS is what was done to the Xubuntu virtual machine.  I used the Ubuntu HowTo as a high level guide to install the same packages for VL.  Although I didn't quite find all of them, I found enough to compile a very useful version of Xastir.  Why does VL take up so much disk space?

Thanks,
Lee
LeeDB

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:30:45 pm »

oops, forgot to include the link to the HowTo that I was referring to...

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_6.10

Lee
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:33:26 pm »

First, VL Light requires 1.8GB to install rather than 1.4GB.  That should figure into your calculations.

Why does it take more space?  Simply put, it installs more applications.  It sounds like there are probably packages installed that you just don't need.  Take a good long look at what is installed with gslapt, see what you really need and what you don't, and remove what you don't need.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 07:49:07 am »

IMHO VL light is far from it.

There are posts of successful installs using DSL and
puppy for your application. Since those are much smaller
footprint it may be a better fit.

Bigpaws
LeeDB

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 05:39:06 pm »

>  First, VL Light requires 1.8GB to install rather than 1.4GB.

Thanks, I admit my memory was foggy there.

>  Why does it take more space?  Simply put, it installs more applications.
>  It sounds like there are probably packages installed that you just don't need.

Even at 1.8GB VL light started out smaller than most of the other Linux distributions on which I have tried the same procedure, so in that context it does not appear to be installing more applications.  The other distros have all started out over 2GB with the exception of AntiX.  It was only after I added the libraries that I needed for my application that VL light became larger than the others.  If it installed more applications, it must have installed more dependencies, so how could I delete them without causing problems?  I suspect it's just a slackware thing.

Yes, I could try to trim stuff out of the original 1.8 GB that is not needed, but I have doubts that I could find enough to uninstall.  Anyway, it's not the end of the world - I still like VL and VL light.  VL standard the heavier XFCE runs better on my Dell PIII-800 than Antix did with Fluxbox.

Thanks,
Lee
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: