VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 06:57:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector-SOHO-DELUXE-5.9.1 released  (Read 32729 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: September 22, 2008, 11:41:21 pm »

We have released SOHO-5.9.1-DELUXE! To complement it we have released a standard version, free for download!!

The 5.9.1 release is a maintenance bug fix release for the previous SOHO 5.9 and includes 52 updates to the core system. You will also find Firefox-3.0.1, opera-9.52, pidgin-2.5.1, sane-1.0.19 and a host of others. The kernel has been upgraded to 2.6.25.7 for better driver support in both sound and wifi.

After long consideration we determined that this was just to darned good and we wanted everyone to see just how good this is. We are confident that after trying the free version you will want to come back and purchase the DELUXE version. In addition to an expanded first disk, the deluxe version comes with a second multimedia CD which contains loads of extras, including more applications, functionality and original artwork.

The default desktop is KDE 3.5.9. More than just amazing eye candy, KDE's extensive collection of graphical tools makes it easy to use for non-technical users. Still, the speedy Fluxbox is available for power users. The included office suite, image manipulation and desktop publishing software will quickly put Small Office/Home Office users to work. Since regular breaks have been shown to increase productivity, you will also find a nice collection of games.  For the server role, samba, apache, mysql and php are included.

For those who have purchased the previous 5.9 SOHO release, we are offering the updated 5.9.1 release as a free download from our high speed host SQI. All you need to do is reply to the original email you received with the purchase and request download instructions. Any other requests concerning the purchase of 5.9 and the 5.9.1 update can be directed to support@vectorlinux.com

The free download version is available  here http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9.1-SOHO.iso
The DELUXE version is in our cd store and found here:
http://vectorlinux.com/cd-store

Enjoy and let us know what you think...........Smiley

ps
Due to technical difficulty's the website is not all yet up to date, however the paypal download links are good.
Should be fixed by tomorrow.
Vec
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 06:14:33 am »

Great news. Vector, this is a really good idea to keep following up on previous versions and keeping them up-to-date and fixing bugs while you work on the latest and greatest....you don't leave your users hanging. Thanks! I think I'll have to purchase some cds from you, just to show my support!  Cheesy

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:53:51 am »

If I order the 5.9 SOHO discs from the CD store, will I actually get the 5.9.1 update? Or is that still sending out the 5.9.0? Thanks!

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 10:22:26 am »

you will get 5.9.1 we just haven't been able to update all parts of the site yet...........thank you

Vec
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 11:26:16 am »

I just installed it, and for some reason vasm didn' t configure my card correctly, that is it didn't make sure the module was loaded. After uncommenting the right module ( eepro100 ) in /etc/rc.modules it all worked dandy. At least so far  Wink.

ps. What a pleasant surprise, didn't see this one coming

pps. Something else I found is that the patches repo is not enabled by default.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 11:58:23 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:52:16 pm »

Hi Vector,

I Really like 5.9.1 very nice look and feel,
Only have run into a glitch  can't get cups to work thus no printer , this is on two different machines. before I order is there a fix for this bug?

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 03:10:53 pm »

Solved the Cups problem, for some reason the cups server is not being started in the default install and thus not started at boot up  Huh

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 07:28:25 pm »

Very nice release! Thank you.
Runs fast on a 6 year old Toshiba laptop w/ a Pentium 4 and 256M Ram.

(Only issue is, as usual, the Toshiba laptop gets a lot of freeze ups with kde apps, which unfortunately also include the login manager.  It seems to be related to the nvidia driver. When I switched to nv, no freezes so far. Last release where this didn't happen was 5.9 Std RC3)
boris

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 09:19:09 am »

For those who have purchased the previous 5.9 SOHO release, we are offering the updated 5.9.1 release as a free download from our high speed host SQI. All you need to do is reply to the original email you received with the purchase and request download instructions. Any other requests concerning the purchase of 5.9 and the 5.9.1 update can be directed to support@vectorlinux.com

I am a happy owner of SOHO 5.9, the only problem is that I paid $19.99 for download via PayPal (recipient was Elpern & Associates) and never received any return E-Mail. I just got an immediate access to download, and that was it. So now how am I supposed to download the update to 5,9,1? I can attach a printout of PayPal transaction report to my request for download instructions, but to whom can I send this request?

With best wishes
BNK

One skeptical donkey used to say: "You may scream 'Honey! Honey!" as loud as you can - it won't make sweet in your mouth..."
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 09:25:42 am »

Boris send your email to support@vectorlinux.com You will get instructions there. Thanks for your support!

Robert
Canuck

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 11:46:20 am »

Great release, very impressed. 

Given that the CUPS server does not install at start-up, how does one fix this problem?   I, like others I suppose, will need some specific instructions.    Thank you
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 12:06:02 pm »

Great release, very impressed. 

Given that the CUPS server does not install at start-up, how does one fix this problem?   I, like others I suppose, will need some specific instructions.    Thank you

Usually this can be enabled by using VASMCC, Services, Services, pick your runlevel, check the 'Cups' service, reboot.  This is based on Standard so it may differ slightly in SOHO.

HTH!

edit:
BTW, thanks Vec for offering a free SOHO.  I think this is a great move to get more exposure for VL.
Canuck

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 12:18:29 pm »

This is the problem.   Trying to activate the Vector Control Center I get:

user/bin/basmCC not found.

Sorry, should this discussion be entered elsewhere?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 12:21:31 pm »

I think some links are dead... didn't get cleaned up right...

the link to vpackager is also dear
and vpackager complains about a missing lib (lib necessary for gambas2-runtime)

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 01:11:42 pm »

This is the problem.   Trying to activate the Vector Control Center I get:

user/bin/basmCC not found.

Sorry, should this discussion be entered elsewhere?

Alright, well that's no good.  Perhaps the ncurses version works correctly.  From a terminal, as root, type 'vasm' ENTER, Service, SRVSET, pick your run level (GUI desktop is default during installation), check the cups service, then OK, exit, done, exit.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: