VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 02:12:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector-SOHO-DELUXE-5.9.1 released  (Read 32715 times)
Canuck

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 02:55:22 pm »

Using terminal I got to 'vasm' and activated CUPS.   Using Control Center, I got into Printer setup and found my HP Laserjet IIP.  When I went to test print a page, I could not get my user name authenticated (also tried to print as root).   No luck.   I haven't even begun to address the issue of no sound.  These problems are reminiscent of those that I had with VL 5.8.  I dare not try to install VL on my Toshiba laptop, as I have a wireless card which I never did get working with VL 5.8.

Sadly, I would very much like to use VL because of its Canadian base, but it appears at this point that the problems I had with 5.8 remain with 5.9.  I am moderately familiar with Linux, but not to the degree that seems to be required to effectively use Vector Linux.  For users like myself, we need, desire, distros which do "work out of the box."   I am so glad that I installed it on my test machine: nothing lost.   

The community involved in Vector is great, but clearly my needs would try the members.  Since I am clearly not proficient to the degree required by VL, I will stick with the two distributions that I have been using.  As I said before, I wish that I could use Vector.  Thanks for the help to this point.   
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 03:55:31 pm »

This is the problem.   Trying to activate the Vector Control Center I get:

user/bin/basmCC not found.

Sorry, should this discussion be entered elsewhere?

looks like there is a type error. You may have to enter (in run box or terminal)
Code:
usr/bin/vasmCC
Apologies....
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 03:59:55 pm »

Using terminal I got to 'vasm' and activated CUPS.   Using Control Center, I got into Printer setup and found my HP Laserjet IIP.  When I went to test print a page, I could not get my user name authenticated (also tried to print as root).   No luck.

Could this be due to the list of allowed user in cups?
When you configure CUPS, either through vasmCC or by pointing your browser to localhost:631, there is a button there in the printer configuration that allows you to list what users can print. Separate them by commas.

The community involved in Vector is great, but clearly my needs would try the members.

Let the other members be the judges of that.  Wink
You can always find help here.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 06:31:54 pm »

Interse:  There was a huge improvement in wireless support between VL 5.8 and VL 5.9, largely because wireless support in Linux in general came a long way.  Don't assume because you had a problem with a late 2006 release that you'd have one with a mid 2008 release.

Also, Toshiba laptop support has also improved greatly.  The installer will correctly detect you are running one and the toshiba and toshiba_acpi kernel modules will be in place after configuration.  That wasn't true with 5.8 or even 5.8 Standard.  5.9 Light was the first release that got this right.

I haven't done an upgrade to 5.9.1 yet (planning on it) so I can't comment on the CUPS issue.  Sounds always works for me but I'm sure any number of us would be happy to help you solve the problem.  Once VL is configured I dare say it isn't any harder to use than any other distro.  Of course, YMMV.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Canuck

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 07:03:09 pm »

I am very moved by the responses I have received to my question today and to my 'closing' comment about Vector.  I really like what Vector stands for, and based on past experience, the great community.  I really like Vector and the lack of bloat.  I have been using Linux for at least ten years and have seen vast improvements during this time.  It is true that in the past, with VL 5.8 SOHO, I did have some technical issues which seemed, at the time, to require far more knowledge than I had. 

YET, every time Vector releases a new version, I am drawn to it.   I am very impressed with 5.9.1 and with so many people offering help, I really want to make 5.9.1 work.  When I am more comfortable with Vector, and after my need for my laptop to be used for 'mission critical work,' I will try installing VL on my laptop.   That will be at least five weeks from now.

I KNOW that my problems should not be discussed in this thread, so with this reply I will turn to the proper threads for more help.

What I have seen of VL 5.9.1 SOHO is very impressive.  The community involved with Vector is even more impressive.  Thank you to all of you and to your generous offers of continued support.   Admittedly, I am writing this on my main desk top......for now. 

What a great community.
edgeofthewoods

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 07:41:58 pm »

I am kind of a noob with Vector, but after being a long term Debian and Mandrake/Mandriva fan, I have found Vector much easier to manage than those other two. CUPPs does things well but for for HP printers I like HPLIP much better. Plus it gives status on ink levels and really likes my PSC1210 series printer/scanner. But I may be misunderstanding a thing or three. When I installed my HP in the control center (KDE not CUPS) I just clicked on Adminstator mode, then added  the printer. All installed smooth as silk. I guess the thing I never really did was activate CUPS

Chuck
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 10:32:05 am »

hplip is included in Vector LInux.  It isn't an either/or thing.  I have an HP printer here as well as an Epson and I can manage both easily with VL.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 02:25:33 pm »

Just installed on a vm and so far everything seems to be working great, sound, ethernet, internet in SeaMonkey over the proxy server, vasmCC, vpackager, vcpufreq, vl-hot-config (no menu item for this last one though).

One little thing though, no OpenOffice.org, which is ok as Koffice is there and it can be installed later (although our SOHO always had it), but Fluxbox assumes it is there, with icons for it both in the menu and in wbar.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Canuck

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 02:44:54 pm »

Joe1962 indicated that 'vasmCC' was working fine on 5.9.1    When I try to use vasmCC I get  "Sorry - /user/bin/vasmCC"   "Command '/usr/bin/vasmCC' not found.  I have not been able to open 'Vector Control Center' although it is listed  on the menu  'System > Vector Control Center' and on 'Settings > Vector Control Center'
I can, of course, open the Vector Control Center via the terminal.

Working my way through this great distribution.   
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 02:56:14 pm by interse » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 02:49:39 pm »

Ummm... You have me mixed up with someone else.  I said I haven't upgraded to 5.9.1 yet so there is no way I could have tried vasmCC in that release.

edgeofthewoods

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 08:07:56 am »

And now for something completely different......................

OK Monty Python is not for all.  I upgraded to 5.9.1 and the only 2 issues I have is frst , VASM. I load from the CLI, (just to check the operation) The cli gives the script  Bad String on no matter what is clicked in VASM. I still have 5.9.0 and just installed 5.9.1 on a seperate partition with sharing of the home diectory. COuld this be an issue? Also can VASM be unistalled and re installed?

Next is Fire fox 3. For me   it is a POS on my machines. Seamonkey has yet to crash lock up or get stupid.!! Smiley , Other than those 2 items and as I get used to Vector, is one heck of a distro. I love it and my kids love it.

Keep up the good work

Chuck
nooby

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 11:30:03 am »

Very popular download. Takes some 7 hours so I gave up for today. Need to shut down computer in a few hours. Late at night here.

Is this version a live CD version then? Can I use it in a Frugal install. Will it save to the NTFS hdd?

EeePC 900 1GB 16GB Vector 7.0 STDGold frugal install.
SnowPuppy 5.0 (Lucid Puppy 513 based)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 06:33:20 pm »

Very popular download. Takes some 7 hours so I gave up for today. Need to shut down computer in a few hours. Late at night here.

Wow, that's very long time to gather up a download. I am sorry to hear about that.

Is this version a live CD version then? Can I use it in a Frugal install. Will it save to the NTFS hdd?

This is NOT a liveCD. for those, you might be interested in this thread :
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7431.0
I am unsure what you mean by "..save to NTFS.."  Huh
nooby

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 05:06:17 am »

Sorry my bad. I read the Distro Watch in hast last night and must have had a black out.
I thought the text says "live" but now when I read it again it doesn't say "live" anywhere. Smiley

So forget it. You don't want it to be a live so it isn't. Being a full install forget about the NTFS thing.
Don't apply. thanks for links to other thread.

that iso took only 25 minutes to dl

EeePC 900 1GB 16GB Vector 7.0 STDGold frugal install.
SnowPuppy 5.0 (Lucid Puppy 513 based)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 10:57:50 am »

Don't worry about it, we all have our days  Smiley

Actually there is a SOHO liveCD. It's not based on the current 5.9.1 release, but it is based on the past 5.9 release. This was built to "Demonstrate or Preview some" of the features of the actual install version. It doesn't install though, but if you're looking for something that you want to run live, just to check it out, this might be what you're looking for .
Link for that part of the forum is here:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=6003.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: