VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 11:25:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: want to set up a website  (Read 4244 times)
gacurt

« on: September 23, 2008, 07:28:22 pm »

I want to set up a website for an auto shop I'm starting soon. Any advice on software to use and hosting services?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:30:33 pm »

To host the site yourself you need to figure how
much traffic you will have and if down time is
a factor.

To host the site yourself then get a minimal
install of a distribution. Any service that is
available is an attack vector against your site.

My preference is Slackware with no gui, or any other
services that are not needed.

For my business I stay with a hosting company since
uptime is important to me.

HTH

Bigpaws
gacurt

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 04:14:06 pm »

I don't plan on hosting the website, I just want input on what program to use to set it up - joomla, mambo, and any recommendations on a hosting provider.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 04:45:35 pm »

I don't plan on hosting the website, I just want input on what program to use to set it up - joomla, mambo, and any recommendations on a hosting provider.

I Like Kompozer for the software there are others that are better , but it is simple and easy to use.
and I have found Host Excellence to be a good and reletively affordable hosting provider. They also offer a set of tools & templates you can use to get you started on developing your sight.
http://www.hostexcellence.com/index.php/v2/pages.dspmain

Good Luck with your endevor.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 05:02:02 pm »

Actually, he's talking about CMS software, not webpage editors. I believe joomla and mambo are both good choices, though there are others. I don't have much direct experience on the subject though.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 09:17:51 pm »

What type of website are you trying for?

Active as in alot of changes? A simple
site that has content that does not change
often.

Generally I use HTML and CSS written by
a text editor.

Bigpaws
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:36:34 am »

Yes, my website is pure HTML 4.01... Grin

Oh, except maybe those obligatory Google ads I had to put in. It was an ad-free host initially, but then at some point they must have needed funds and changed that... Sad

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
gacurt

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 06:51:34 pm »

Currently, I just want to set it up fairly simple. A way to advertise primarily to what I hope will be an expanding base of existing customers. A few pictures, some information related to auto maintenance and repair and probably some specials. Over time, would expect it to get fancier.
thanks,

Curt
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 08:26:02 pm »

Hy,
try http://de.selfhtml.org/
You will find easy information about html, tips for software and also a set of templates for weppages.
For a starter it should be easy to set up a basic-no-nonsense page in short time.

Carsten

see http://www.die-pellwormer.homepage.t-online.de/ as reference, has been made with one of the templates and a simple editior

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 10:57:58 pm »

gacurt,

I agree that Kompozer is good and easy to use.  I have one site that I do with Kompozer and another that I try to do with Joomla (consensus seems to be that joomla is probably better for sites anticipating lots of traffic).  My joomla site was hacked a few weeks ago and I have still not got it back up.  Probably have to reinstall joomla as the hacker changed the password.  Even though I use both, I am not too good with either.  But my kompozer site is functional and, I believe, always up.  And I like it (and joomla) better than bluefish and quanta, both of which are a bit too geeky for me. 

I don't really know the main difference between joomla and kompozer and would like to learn what it is..  I think joomla is hosted by my ISP and have no clue how kompozer is hosted.  I think its just on my machine. I know it took me a LOT longer to get my joomla site connected, up, designed and all that. Still, there is a lot of joomla help (google joomla).  I think joomla has much more support in English than Kompozer.  So, as everyone seems to think its more powerful, if you have the time to learn it (or the money to hire someone to help you learn it), you might start off with joomla. 

In any event, with those qualifications, my own experience is that if you are going to do it yourself, you should probably start with Kompozer.  Right now, I wish I had done both my sites on Kompozer.  Nothing against joomla except I don't find it all that intuitive. 

If I were you, I would try to get someone to do your site (get it connected and all that) in Kompozer, while insisting that whoever does it bring you along so that eventually you can edit and update it yourself.

Finally, I would listen to about anyone else on this.  There are probably only two or three people in the world who know less about web-site development than me.  And likely none, knowing so little, who would venture to offer advice.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 06:30:14 am »

I'm afraid you are comparing apples and oranges. Kompozer is an html (as in web page) editor, while Joomla is a hosted CMS (Content Management System).

edwarben89

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 10:07:39 am »

In response to making your computer a web server, your ISP will not look too kindly if you have whatever home account they offer.  I did have Apache on my XP machine, but when they cable company turned off the Internet and then reconnected it, they uninstalled it.

A few years later I am using VL anyway.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: