VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: does not return to text mode  (Read 1821 times)

prasad

does not return to text mode
« on: November 01, 2008, 09:17:53 am »

Hello,

VL 5.9 SOHO  does not return to text mode when X session is ended or killed. The screen is blank. Can shutoff the system by issuing halt command, though nothing is visible. This happens when initially boot into text or gui mode. My system has intel 630 processor, intel 915gav motherboard and samsung 732nw widescreen monitor.
Shall be happy to receive any advice.

Prasad.

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: does not return to text mode
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 01:52:01 pm »

Probably your VESA framebuffer is incorrect for your video card. That framebuffer is set in the bootloader (grub or lilo). I assume you use lilo as your boot manager. If so try a different framebuffer (vga=xxx) line in /etc/lilo.conf . I do not know which number is best for that monitor video card - you may have to do a search on it. Then you need to rerun "lilo -v" as root to rewrite the image.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

prasad

Re: does not return to text mode
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 10:04:21 am »

Hi lagagnon,

Thanks for the reply. Changing framebuffer in lilo.conf didn't do any good, but reinstallation with framebuffer for 1024x768 worked fine. Thanks again.

Prasad.