VectorLinux
November 21, 2014, 12:21:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HP PSC 1210 Scanner install help  (Read 7208 times)
phreon

« on: September 25, 2008, 12:39:09 pm »

Hi Folks,

I installed an HP PSC 1210 Printer Scanner to my machine with Vector. I used vasmcc to go to Services and installed a new printer. It brought up cups to configure it.

How does one use the scanner part of this printer. I understand that the 1210 is supported in Vector?

Thanks
P
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 03:34:03 pm »

Not sure what version you are using but 5.9 SOHO comes with "xsane" installed. Run it and configure your scanner. If not loaded get it installed with gslapt.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
phreon

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:57:06 am »

Hi laganon,

I am running standard gold.

I searched Gslapt and it said I have xsane in ...

/mnt/hdd2/root/Pseudo/ISO/packages/x-apps/xsane-994-i486-1.tlx

I do not have the /mnt/hdd2 directory. So I re-installed it through Gslapt. There is still no /mnt/hdd2 directory.

In a terminal window I typed "which xsane" and it said /usr/bin/xsane

I then typed "xsane" and it gives error...
"Error while loading shared libraries: libgimpui-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory."

I went to /usr/bin using the gui file manager and found the scanner icon xsane. Double clicked on it and nothing.

What am I missing?
Thanks
P
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 09:38:40 am by phreon » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:40:05 am »

You are missing GIMP which is a dependency for the latest versions of sane.  Install that from the repository using slapt-get or gslapt and it should work.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
phreon

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 12:12:45 pm »

Hi Again Caitlyn,

Thanks for the heads up. Interestingly, when I checked Gslapt to see if I had xsane, it said xsane had no dependencies. How does one know when one software package depends on another?

Thanks
P
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 12:17:46 pm »

Hi Again Caitlyn,

Thanks for the heads up. Interestingly, when I checked Gslapt to see if I had xsane, it said xsane had no dependencies. How does one know when one software package depends on another?

Thanks
P

In a perfect world, that is always built into the package such that when the package is selected to be installed via gslapt/slapt-get all dependencies are also selected if they aren't already installed.  Sometimes, as in this case, the dependencies may not have been specified in the package build so they are not installed as needed.  I imagine if this is the case the package will be rebuilt and updated in the repository.
phreon

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 12:48:09 pm »

Hi Folks,

Installed Gimp and now xsane runs. After you accept the license agreement is says "No devices available".

How do I let xsane know I have an HP 1210 on USB?

I tried to reboot with the scanner on and no luck. The 1210 works fine as a printer.

I checked to see how many xsane's are installed, (which -a xsane), there is one in /usr/bin and one in /usr/x11/bin.

How does one uninstall the /usr/x11/bin copy?

I tried Gsalpt to uninstall an in Gslapt it says xsane is in /mnt/hdd2/root/pseudo/iso/packages/x-apps/xsane-0.994-i486-1.tlz
There is no /mnt/hdd2 directory in my VL file system.

What am I missing?
Thanks
P
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:31:34 am by phreon » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 04:39:07 pm »

Did you run this as root at a terminal prompt:
sane-find-scanner

You should get some results. Note the location of the scanner (it'll be in the /dev directory). Then as root go to that location in the /dev directory and change the permissions on the device so you can run xsane as user. I like to do this in Midnight Commander (started as root) because I can't remember commands. In MC, the front end to the chown command is Control+x, o. Highlight the /dev you want to change and then do Control=x, c and change ownership as desired. You must do this as root.

After you have made the scanner available to you as user, try
xsane
again. See if xsane now finds your scanner.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
phreon

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 05:06:47 am »

Hi Folks,

I got some help from newtor in another post and this fixid my problem....

newtor > "I do not have any HP devices and have never used hplip.  However, I was able to determine that the hplip daemon needs to be running before the toolbox will open.

so, try this:
as root: chmod a+x /etc/rc.d/rc.hplip
as root: ./etc/rc.d/rc.hplip start
as user: /usr/share/hplip/toolbox

As an alternative to the last line, you can try starting the HP device manager via the xfce menu.  This worked for me."

Hope this will help others.
P
nj_jak

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 01:02:11 pm »

Did you run this as root at a terminal prompt:
sane-find-scanner

Hi there, I am trying to get my old HP PSC 500 to work with SOHO 5.9 deluxe - have tried some of the stuff in this thread, but nothing seems to get me on the way....
"sane-find-scanner" tells me that there are no SCSI scanners nor USB scanners...and that the program is not checking for parallel port scanners - and that is just what this HP PSC 500 is.

Any suggestions on what to do?

The device is fully functional as printer via CUPS
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 01:12:01 pm »

Have you looked through this thread: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7452.0

This problem was delved into a bit more there.  Accroding to hplip your scanner and printer should be supported via parallel.  I was going to suggest checking to make sure parallel was enabled in vasm but if your printer is working I would assume that it is.  Any way, check out that other thread and see if it brings any better luck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: