VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 12:01:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] No sound VL 5.9.1  (Read 2453 times)
Canuck

« on: September 25, 2008, 01:28:57 pm »

Just installed VL 5.9.1  I have spent today trying to activate the sound without success.

I am using the sound output plug (currently with ear phones) from my motherboard:  Asus   A7S8X-MX   I have gone to the Control Centre and tried to activate the sound, no success at any time with the Test Sound button.

I can play a DVD using KPlayer, but again no sound.  I would appreciate leads as to how to configure the sound.  I also have tried to configure Amarok, setting both alsa and oss.   I am at a loss at this point as to what to do next. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 02:01:46 pm by interse » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 01:39:49 pm »

I wonder if alsa is just muted by default.  In terminal, 'alsamixer' should bring up the mixer then just unmute the master and PCM volumes by using your arrows to navigate between them and 'm' to mute/unmute the bar.  Perhaps it's that simple??  I haven't played with SOHO 5.9.1 yet
Canuck

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 02:01:23 pm »

Thanks newtor.    Yes, it was that simple! 

What wasn't clear from searching the menus was how to get to 'alsamixer'.   While I am not adverse to the Terminal, I was hoping that the sound could have been activated using the graphical interface.    Did I miss something in my search?
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 02:11:06 pm »

FWIW, I just installed on a vm and sound works all by itself.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 03:02:27 pm »

I think there are lots of alsamixer frontends (i.e. guis).  If I'm not mistaked, kmix is a gui for alsamixed and should be included in kde (little speaker icon on the panel/dash/whatever-that-thing-is-called); I imagine you just double-click to access the full panel - you should see the same volume controls as you did in terminal.  BUT AGAIN, I have not played with SOHO 5.9.1 so I cannot say for certain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: