VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 10:31:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: [NOT SOLVED] New Installation / older laptop.....  (Read 9581 times)
ElEdwards

« on: September 25, 2008, 10:25:11 pm »

Hi:)  I just installed VL5.9.1 on my Compaq Presario 2170us, dual-booting with XP.

Until now, I have been a Gnome/Ubuntu-derivative user, so KDE isstill new to me.

I'm in XP right now because I stillhave some issues to resolve in Vector:

1 - I can't get wireless networking to work.  I'm using a Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA card (the sameone I'm using in XP right now).

2 - My sound card was detected but the sounds are horribly distorted and have an echo.

3 - How do I disable the tapping on my Synaptics Touchpad?  There is no section in xorg.conf for it like I've found in other distros.

Thanks for any help in steering me to solutions Smiley

El
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 01:33:19 pm by ElEdwards » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:08:39 am »

try this for you wireless card issue...

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/thread28636-1.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5645
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 02:33:51 am »

3 - How do I disable the tapping on my Synaptics Touchpad?  There is no section in xorg.conf for it like I've found in other distros.

Strange. Is the touchpad working fine without any synaptics bit in xorg.conf?
Perhaps you need to add it yourself.
ElEdwards

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 01:01:24 pm »

Well, I'm becoming very discouraged with this Sad

- I found the Ndiswrapper package and installed it but still no wireless.
- I also found the Alsa driver package andinstalled it but my sound is still very muddy with tons of echoes.
- The touchpad on my laptop is so sensitive that I can barely do anything.  Every finger movement becomes a double-tap.

Every Ubuntu derivative that I've tried has always worked with my wireless card, sound card and touchpad with no issues whatsoever; I never had to intervene and try to setthings up....they just worked.  Is that not to be expected with Vector?

El Huh Cry
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 01:22:12 pm »

- I found the Ndiswrapper package and installed it but still no wireless.

Did you go to VasmCC > Network > Wireless?

The ndiswrapper package is just needed if you have a Windows driver.
If it works in other distros without a windows driver, then it might not be needed. But give that a try.

EDIT: That link to the ubuntu forums hata_ph posted says that you have to use ndiswrapper and the windows drivers. You should have that option when starting the configuration utility in vasmCC. Has this same card worked right after installation with other distros??

- I also found the Alsa driver package andinstalled it but my sound is still very muddy with tons of echoes.

Try going to Vasmcc > Hardware > AlsaSound.
Run alsamixer afterwards to set the different volumes.

You've probably done this lalready. Sorry I can't help more.
You can post the results of lspci and lspcmcia here, so we can see if the wireless card is detected.

Every Ubuntu derivative that I've tried has always worked with my wireless card, sound card and touchpad with no issues whatsoever; I never had to intervene and try to setthings up....they just worked.  Is that not to be expected with Vector?

Sometimes it's about the kernel version that is used in different distros.
Later kernels might contain modules (drivers) for specific hardware.
It might not be the case here, though, as we're not talking about the latest hardware....

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:25:46 pm by wcs » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 01:38:53 pm »

I can certainly understand becoming discouraged with trying to make things work normally like they have in other distros.  I believe that every distro has it's "shortcomings", however you can rest assured that once you get those devices working you will not have to monkey with them again.  On top of that, almost everything you learn on a slack-based distro will translate to other distros very well... so, you're learning for the future at the same time!

1)
I use a similar wireless device on my laptop (Linksys wpc54gs pcmcia - broadcom chipset) and it works fine without ndiswrapper (bcm43xx module).  I use static ip addressing, wpa security, with a non-broadcasting router.  In other words, I've found that this card works wonderfully for a relatively closed wireless system in VL.  However, I am aware that depending on the version card you have may change the chipset that you're using.  So with that, can you provide the output from this command:
lspci | grep wireless
---if you get nothing, then how about:
lspci

2)
Sound... I'm probably not very good help here. Not something I've played with much.  Maybe the wrong device was chosen during installtion.  Maybe running alsa-config (sp?) again and choosing a different sound driver would resolve the problems.  But again, I'm not at all versed in audio stuffs.

3)
If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the mouse device in your xorg.conf does not use the synaptics mouse driver?  Or, you're just not seeing the tapping disable option you normally see?  If the latter then you can try adding:
Option "Tapbutton1" "0"
to the relevant mouse section in xorg.conf to disable tapping on the synaptics device.
If the former, then I think you can manually change the module to use to the correct synaptics module and then add the appropriate options to get it working.
Section "InputDevice"
   Driver      "synaptics"
   Identifier  "TouchPad"
   Option      "SendCoreEvents"
   Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
   Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
   Option      "TapButton1" "0"
 EndSection
ElEdwards

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 01:47:51 pm »

I know my wireless card uses the Atheros chipset.

Regarding my touchpad, there is nothing in xorg.conf for it at all.  I paste in what you posted Smiley  If I can at least get rid of the double-tapping on everything I try, I can concentrate on solving the other issues Cheesy

Thanks!
El
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 03:05:43 pm »

If I can at least get rid of the double-tapping on everything I try, I can concentrate on solving the other issues Cheesy

Better to plug in a mouse in the mean time.  Smiley
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 05:05:21 pm »

The issue with the Synaptics Touchpad is just a matter of adjusting the settings.  Mine was overly sensitive as well and I played with the settings until I got it right.  The Arch Linux Wiki has a very good page on how to do that.  Ignore the stuff about installation (we use gslapt or slapt-get instead of pacman) and everything should already be installed by default.  See:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

HTH,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 05:12:04 pm »

Regarding wireless, Vector Linux, and Ubuntu:

Yes, Ubuntu is better at having wireless "just work" right after installation.  That simply doesn't happen with Vector Linux IME.  Having said that, Ubuntu uses Network Manager which has a tendency to lock up or crash taking your wireless connection with it in the middle of your work.  The Vector Linux tools, once configured, are rock solid and work 100% reliably.

Vetcor Linux supports Atheros chipsets extremely well.  IME the problem is that it often assigns the wrong interface (eth1 instead of ath0) after installation.  When you correct that it will just work if your Atheros card is like mine.  Start wifi-radar, click on Preferences, and make sure the wireless device is ath0.  If it isn't and you change that you will solve your problem.

The newest version of wifi-radar, 1.9.9, actually does autodetect wireless cards correctly but that version didn't ship with VL 5.9.  If you enable the patches repository in gslapt (let me know if you don't know how to do that) and upgrade wifi-radar you may also find that things just work Smiley

HTH,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

ElEdwards

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 09:27:13 am »

Newtor:
Thanks for that Synaptics snippet.... I added it to xorg.conf, added an entry for it in the Server section and now it works like I want Cheesy

Caityn:
I'll have to dig a little deeper into my wireless issue.  The only interface that currently show up is wlan0, which I believe is my eternet port.

.....more to come.....

El
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 02:52:22 pm »

You've actually identified the problem with wireless.  wlan0 is NOT correct for an Atheros card.  It should be ath0.  Please post the results of:

lsmod | grep ath

That will let us know if the madwifi kernel module is even being loaded.

An internal (wired) ethernet port would be eth0 not wlan0.  What does

/sbin/ifconfig -a

show?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 02:54:16 pm by caitlyn » Logged

ElEdwards

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 02:06:19 pm »

Here's the output of lsmod | grep ath
Code:
ath5k                  91396  0
mac80211              127884  1 ath5k
.....and the output of /sbin/ifconfig -a
Code:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0B:CD:A6:1E:2E 
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x8000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:16:B6:46:B4:17 

wmaster0  Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-16-B6-46-B4-17-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00 

Looks like my wireless card isn't being seen Sad

El
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 02:08:07 pm by ElEdwards » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 03:24:47 pm »

Actually, the fact that ath5k is loaded means your wireless card is being seen but not configured.  I had the same problem with an Atheros 5212 chipset.  What you are going to need to do is blacklist ath5k and install the older madwifi driver.  That's what fixed it for me.  This happens pretty much in any distro that uses a 2.6.25.x or newer kernel.

You can download the madwifi driver from http://www.madwifi.org  They have pretty clear installation instructions there as well.

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 04:47:45 pm »

How does one go about "Black Listing" a driver?
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: