VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 05:37:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: [NOT SOLVED] New Installation / older laptop.....  (Read 9304 times)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 07:50:09 pm »

Congratulations ! I had faith in you the whole time Smiley
ElEdwards

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 02:30:50 am »

LOL  Thanks  Cheesy

I'd still like to know why settings in Amarok affected system sounds, especially since Amarok had never even been opened.

El
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 05:16:32 am »

Nice job sticking with it and figuring it out.

As far as how/why.. who knows? Probably some setting got changed when you played with Amarok. Modern software is complicated.
ElEdwards

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 05:57:03 am »

....but it wasn't until I played with Amarok that things got straightened out. Sad
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 01:14:37 pm »

And by posting your results here, others may benefit from your experience. That's what community is about.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 03:42:23 pm »

It is possible that Amarok had preset settings configured for more common hardware, unfortunately those settings didn't seem to be so kind to your hardware. Possibilities are near endless as to "why".

After reviewing your pots throughout this thread, it seems that the problems you listed have been solved. Another great job by the community and yourself. Give yourselves a round of applause, pat on the back, whatever you feel necessary  Grin

Oh, would you please edit the topic and add [solved] ? That will certainly help others who come looking for solutions to problems similar to yours. Thanks.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 03:54:30 pm »

I can make an educated guess as to why Amarok settings solved wide problems.  KDE has it's own sound server (arts) which is separate from or added on top of alsa.  Amarok, a KDE program, may have acted directly on the arts settings which would have an affect on all KDE software.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
ElEdwards

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 08:30:21 pm »

Well, I certainly appreciate everyone's help Smiley  ....and I'm sure I'll have more questions as we journey together.

El
ElEdwards

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 01:34:39 pm »

Well, I had to change this from Solved to Not Solved...... after a few reboots, my audio issue has returned.  In the meantime, since I use my laptop for commercial voiceovers, I've gone back to Mint Sad

El
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2008, 12:58:26 pm »

Hi El, do you have more then one audio card? Maaybe a mic in your webcam? If you do, you need to set one as your default card, check the howto section for how to set one soundcard as the default one.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
ElEdwards

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 06:40:34 pm »

Nope, this is a laptop..... single, built-in sound card, no web cam. Sad

It's a Compaq Presario 2170us, 512 Mb, 40-Gig HDD.

El
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2008, 11:11:51 pm »

ElEdwards,

Keep trying on the sound card.  Others are rooting for you, even if we don't have suggestions.  I really agree with one of the earlier comments, that, despite its frustrations, its pretty hard to go back to another flavor once you get used to slackware. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: