VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 06:11:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: boot vl 5.9 soho  (Read 1617 times)
wildeman

« on: September 26, 2008, 12:00:30 pm »

I have VL installed. But it is not possible to install lillo. It gives an error message telling to change etc/lillo/menu.lst in ?. I tried to use ubuntu for making a grub boot loader by reinstall. It sees VL. But trying to start the program stops saying trying to cold pluggin. Is there a solution simple enough for a simple sool?
jklslvch

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 12:50:03 pm »

if u can boot into vectro linux (via the cd) once your in in a root console type "liloconfig" that command lets you set up lilo select the expert option and add ur operating system from there

sorry i cant give u a step by step but im away from my personal computer atm
wildeman

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 08:24:26 am »

no such command. cannot edit /etc/lilo.conf .no nano. problems perhaps because of an ATI HD??? Nevertheless thanks for your time.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 08:36:01 am »

wildeman,

try using the cd to boot from and type "linux root=/dev/hdxx" (change the hdxx to where VL is installed"
If you can boot with that then login as root and type "vliloconf" to setup lilo.

Let us know if that helps

Uelsk8s
wildeman

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:45:06 am »

I can boot only cold pluggin. It takes some time.vliloconf->lilo error=FATAL Eithewr FIX-table or IGNORE-table must be specified. As root in console: there is no file named etc/lilo.menu.lst.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 11:58:05 am »

To me, it _feels_ like something is very off.  I don't know what, but something important.  I wonder if it's a bad download (ISO file), bad burn (cd), or corrupted install?  Perhaps you installed overtop of an existing (different distro) installation without formatting?

lilo doesn't use a .menu.lst file - I think that's grub that uses that type of file.  lilo uses a /etc/lilo.conf file, and lilo must be updated each time you make changes to that file.

Regardless, if it were me, I would decide that there are too many problems to continue and attempt to re-install from scratch, and hope for better success.  IMHO Grin

HTH
wildeman

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 02:24:38 am »

Thanks Newtor. I will follow your advice. MDsum was correct though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: