VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 05:10:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-like distro for Power PC Mac  (Read 2763 times)
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« on: September 28, 2008, 04:01:21 am »

I have a friend with a Power PC Mac who runs Windows in his OS-X on Virtual PC (PPC version) now he wants to do the same thing with Linux. What is the best PPC Linux distro that is closest to Vector Linux? Any ideas on the best virtualisation software for Macs. I have very limited Mac experience so don't know where to start.

Has anyone seen Slackintosh?  http://workaround.ch/index.html

Thanks for your advice,
no2
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 07:16:07 am »

hi no2thesame,

I had a test version of vl based on Slackintosh a while back.
once you have Slackintosh setup you can run most of the VL tools there like vasm since they are just shell scripts.

HTH,
Uelsk8s
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 09:25:17 am »

no2thesame:

A friend of mine runs Slackintosh on his Power PC.  I've seen it at work, and it's pretty zippy.  It may be the best Linux distro for that hardware.  I'm going to tell him about the VL tools thing which uelsk8s wrote (since those tools improve the overall Slackware experience).

Tom

P.S.  I'm back.  My mom is doing a lot better, and I've been able to catch up on work and such so I should be around the forums some.  Thanks to everyone for all your support recently.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 01:05:53 pm »

Thanks for the advice,  seems like Slackintosh is the the go. I shall pass it on.

Uelsk8s
that's nice that VL tools will work. Is installation (on the Mac) Is it just a case of copying them to the appropriate directory (I'm guessing /usr/something ) and running from the cli?

tom38
would your friend be open to an email conversation with my friend about running and installing Slackintosh?  He would be much more informative than I am. I'll have to check the Slackintosh forum out as well.

Great news that Mom is improving, it must be a relief. Working as a physiotherapist, I realise just how resilient people can be... and how fragile too, unfortunately.

no2
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 01:48:59 pm »

no2thesame:

I'll ask my friend about the Slackintosh thing.  Like a lot of people on here, he's very helpful and friendly, so my guess is he will say yes (but I do need to ask first).

Thanks for your wishes and thoughts concerning my mother.  She's almost seventy but generally in good health - it's good to see her well on the way to recovery.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 04:55:43 am »

no2thesame:  A brief update:  I called my friend and left a message.  He might be out of town (travels a lot for work), and I don't have his cell phone number.  I just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about this.

Tom

no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 12:56:44 pm »

Thanks Tom,
no hurry.
no2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: