VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 05:58:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VL5.9-STD-LIVE-Final And VL5.9-Light-Live-B1 Released  (Read 22328 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: September 28, 2008, 07:35:27 pm »

The VectorLinux LIVE team is proud to announce the release of VectorLinux 5.9 STD LIVE CD and the first 5.9-Light beta live CD. This is the final release for 5.9 standard live. We like to keep our livecd's as close to the installed versions as possible, except for the addition of gparted for easy gui partitioning. The 5.9 standard live cd has been updated with all the latest packages from the 5.9 repo.  Also installed in these 5.9 live editions is vmklive, a live-remaster tool that makes livecd remastering easy for everyone.

These live CD's demo all that makes the 5.9 Vector release famous. like browser plugins, seamonkey firefox and opera, the newest xfce4 desktop, The Gimp, Abiword and Gnumeric, vasm and vl-hot, wireless drivers and configuration tools, support for read and write to ntfs via fuse and ntfs-3g, and lots of fun and games.

As always We would like to thank the developers of all the linux programs we use especially the writer of the linux-live scripts.

you can grab the releases here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-Light-LIVE-B1.iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-STD-LIVE-Final.iso

Thanks and happy Vectoring!!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:42:15 am by uelsk8s » Logged
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 07:39:26 pm »

As always We would like to thank the developers of all the linux programs we use especially the writer of the linux-live scripts.

Indeed  Cool
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 07:37:57 am »

VL5.9-Light-Live-B1: Nice boot menu. Boots and runs great.

Installed to hard drive without problems. Ran mklive-script, burned remastered LiveCD and booted from it. Guess that's coming full circle  Grin
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:29:35 am »

Something's wrong for me, with Standard Live.
All I get after the kdm login is a blue background and an empty panel.
No right-click menu, no icons, no wallpaper. The only thing that seems to be on the panel is the mount applet, but with no icon.

Tried both autoprobe, vesa, and probe for video, and exactly the same.
Checked xorg.conf, nv driver was rightly picked, and everything else seemed fine.
Downloaded again, checked md5sum, asked k3b to verify data, and still the same problem.....

Huh what a pity... I was eager to show this around.
I'll try it on another computer at some point.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 12:05:42 pm »

No right-click menu, no icons, no wallpaper. The only thing that seems to be on the panel is the mount applet, but with no icon.

Checked xorg.conf, nv driver was rightly picked, and everything else seemed fine.
Downloaded again, checked md5sum, asked k3b to verify data, and still the same problem.....

I got these same results, but I assumed it had something to do with me running it on a vm rather than real hardware

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 02:11:03 pm »

I got these same results, but I assumed it had something to do with me running it on a vm rather than real hardware
Damn, It works fine here.
I will try it on some other hardware and see if i can figure it out.

Thanks for trying it.
Uelsk8s
gnomic

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 04:58:29 pm »

Alas, XFCE doesn't want to get to full desktop here either on SL. As for other posts, puts up a blank unresponsive desktop with empty panel at bottom of screen. Machine is ThinkPad Z60m with integrated Intel graphics. However I have found that fluxbox session runs OK, as does the jwm which I am presently running. Something up with XFCE config? Is it trying to do something with no fallback/timeout on failure?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 11:55:11 pm »

Tried it on a different computer, same problem with xfce.  Embarrassed
(oldish Toshiba 2450-101, Pentium 4, 256 Ram, Geforce 420 Go).
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 12:30:46 am »

Same problem here - IBM T42. I get a desktop, blank toolbar and a mouse cursor. Nothing else.

paul
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 03:42:58 am »

new std iso is up http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-STD-LIVE-Final.iso
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 04:52:03 am »

Grin Great, thanks. This one works well.

paul.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 06:17:15 am »

VL5.9-STD-LIVE-Final: Tested on two machines with nVidia vcards. Vesa, vxconf and auto-probe all give stable desktop.

Some bugs noted:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7454.0
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 09:06:49 pm »

I've been evil again.  I sent the announcement to Ladislav at Distrowatch since nobody else had.  Either he runs with it or he doesn't...  Hopefully he does Smiley

Regards,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 05:12:32 am »

I've been evil again.  I sent the announcement to Ladislav at Distrowatch since nobody else had.  Either he runs with it or he doesn't...  Hopefully he does Smiley

Regards,
Cait
I sent it already, seems he wont run it for some reason  Huh

Uelsk8s
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 03:22:12 pm »

It is up now.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pages: [1] 2