VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 04:13:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux Badge  (Read 15880 times)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: September 28, 2008, 08:04:58 pm »

I have been working on some case badges and such for VL.
I wanted to get some feedback on one particular. I'm sure that not everyone is into chrome and for that reason I am also working on variants to give a better choice for everyone. As much as I can with my skill level and time.

With that all said, below is one of my better ones (IMO). Let me know what you think. Constructive ideas are always welcomed  Wink

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:34:35 pm by Masta » Logged
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 01:34:21 am »

Very pretty! Really like the chrome.
I just think it's a bit crowded, and would favour one with only the logo and the name.
(or perhaps with less of a distinction between the top part and the bottom one).

I'll sure get some.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 06:34:49 am »

Awesome Masta! Are we actually going to get stickers made for those? I'll buy some for all my computers! Those are sweet!

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 07:30:59 am »

At this point, I am trying get a good graphic / look for the case badge / sticker. After we can all decide on something with a "happy medium" , then I think we can shop around for a reasonable deal to get them printed up. On this particular one, I was thinking it would be nice as a metal or domed sticker. Might not look good on a paper one, but who knows until after we see it, right?

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 07:58:22 am »

Masta: great work, thanks for contributing so much to the VL community. If we are able to get these made I would definetely order a few!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 11:38:52 am »

Nice, I'll be needing something like that when I get my new computer and peel off the Vista sticker Grin.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 04:17:03 pm »

WHY? I think the 4 colored squares, grouped in a square and black text looks rather nice !  Cheesy Cheesy

Rather than make new posts on each variant, I am just going to try sticking them in the first post. I've added a new one there with a metallic look to it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 04:53:01 pm by Masta » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 05:57:04 pm »

I agree the first one is a little cluttered. Second one could need some more contrast between "Vectorlinux" and bg.

I think the first one would look good without "Powered by" and "When choice matters". Maybe a vertical instead of a horizontal gradient.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 07:48:56 pm »

I'm liking the third one, though it looks like you sharpened it way to much and then changed the contrast too much. I think the softer is better.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 04:39:54 pm »

It is a little over sharpened. The reason for this is; you are looking at it in it's original size (if you've clicked the thumbnail), scale this down to the actual size of a sticker, and much of the details will be lost to the eye. You can actually see this looking at the differences of the thumbnail here (above) and the full size (click the thumbnail). Try printing it on a 1in. x 1/2in. piece of photo paper for example.

What I gathered from feedback since the first image, is that I should:
1.) go with less text (eliminate clutter)
2.) less distinction of the top and bottom (I made it all one piece, replacing bottom to match top)
3.) More contrast on the text (I'm assuming this is to help it stand out from the background it's on)
4.) lots of encouragement (thanks for those  Smiley )

that is pretty much all I have gathered (did I miss anything?), and that has lead us to the 3rd image. Next image I will go with less sharpness, not sure on the direction of the contrast at the moment. I am aiming to make this appealing to everyone (within reason  Tongue ).  In order to make the next image even better, I am looking for more direction from the community. More ideas and alternatives are indeed welcomed. I encourage anyone who has a graphic, to contribute, it might end up being the top choice, you never know.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 05:36:42 pm »

Added Gold and Black alternative badge.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 05:41:58 pm »

here is my classic VL badge
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 11:02:59 pm »

I very much like the third one, Masta.
Even the 1st one is growing on me.  Smiley

Thanks for your work.
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 12:11:24 am »

these are perfect for stickers.  Grin

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 10:08:18 am »

I'd put anyone on my machines, but since your collecting votes, I like the third (for simplicity) and the fourth (bolder look, but still uncluttered. )

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: