VectorLinux
August 31, 2014, 11:59:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Issues trying to get sound to work  (Read 1364 times)
jobbie

« on: December 04, 2008, 10:56:48 pm »

ok so i've got a new linux, VECTOR 5.8 SOHO edition. there is a minor problem about it, a sound issue: when i reset the system or turn it on i seem to have no sound. I have a x86 platform with a C-media external sound card and a via 82xx internal sound card. I have both turned on because the system keeps switching the sound to one of them. I have no visual contact on dmesg of the alsa system, not even if it's turned on or it doesn't exist. I ran alsaconf several times and it worked but i want to solve the issue cause it  is bugging me. Help me.
jobbie

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 11:03:59 pm »

sound issues anyone? do you know how to solve them? maybe yo'll can help me. I need a fast help answer. I have a sound migrating problem: ny sound card a C-media 8738 keeps turning off the sound when i shutdown or reset. There is a viz 82xx sound driver on my motherboard  but it does the same . I cannot see any messages about the alsa system, nor the mixer icon on taskbar. I have ran several times alsaconf from VASM but i still have the problem. What to do besides alsaconf?  Huh Embarrassed Undecided Cry. Thanks
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 02:35:33 am »

So when you run alsaconf, you get sound, but you have to do it again each time after reboot?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 02:52:48 am »

If you type "cat /proc/asound/modules" you can see the current sound drivers.
It will also tell you the index (0 or 1) of the sound cards.

If you get the drivers right, after doing alsaconf, you'll see both drivers there.
If,after reboot, you only get one driver there, it's because you need to do "modprobe <name_of_driver>" to get it going.

The other problem might be that the system is treating one sound card as the default (the one with index 0).
If that is the case, it can also be solve easily.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 06:17:09 am »

Jobbie: No double posting please. It's a lot better to keep all info in one place, so it's easier for people who want to help you to keep track of things. That's why I merged your threads. Also, I decided to make the title a little more descriptive of the problem. Try reading this before starting a new thread : http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=56.0

ok so i've got a new linux, VECTOR 5.8 SOHO edition
Is there a special reason why you installed 5.8 SOHO (1,5 years old already) instead of 5.9.1 SOHO (released less than 3 months ago)? If you want the latest packages and such, you'll probably want to use 5.9.1.

To solve the switching soundcard, you can try this: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=4888.0

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: