VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 02:46:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO 5.9 disappearing Font  (Read 860 times)
Edmontonian

« on: September 29, 2008, 01:59:24 pm »

Hi,
     I have just installed VL 5.9 SOHO and noticed the font was invisible on several apps.  I changed the Font colour for Konqueror and that seemed to work, then Opera as well, but this problem keeps re-emerging.  IE:  When I right click the main panel, then hit configure the window pops up fine.  However when I run my mouse over the window on the left (Arrangement, Hiding, Menus etc.) they light up then disappear completely when I move the mouse away.  Minimizing the window, then bringing it back brings the font back, but again moving the mouse over them again causes them to vanish.  Help would be much appreciated.  I have searched everywhere for a speedy and reliable KDE environment (forget Kubuntu or Suse) and VL seems to fit the bill - except for this showstopper.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 04:58:29 pm »

That sounds very uncommon.  Possible a xorg.conf issue with the video driver; if you're using something specific then try downgrading to vesa to see if it resolves the problem.  If it does then I'm sure we can figure something out to get the proper driver working without this hitch.  If it makes no difference then it's likely not the video driver.  There should be a vesa xorg config file that you can swap out for to do a quick test.  Something along these lines:
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-original
mv /etc/X11/corg.conf-vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf

restart X (reboot)

Another idea: Possibly a bad burn and/or iso download.  If you still have the iso download then double-check that the md5 sum checks out okay.  I think you can check the burned cd during the installation process just before selecting swap/root partitions.

Those are just a couple ideas for a strange problem - I don't feel greatly confident that either will solve the problem but might be worth a shot.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: