VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 01:05:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Atheros 5212 PCI no connectivity  (Read 3561 times)
hbh154

« on: October 02, 2008, 05:19:11 pm »

Just installed 5.9 last night, and followed the guide pinned in this forum to get my Netgear WG311T up and running.  I've had no connectivity in VL since.  All was set up using DHCP, and then reconfigured manually to no avail.

ifconfig shows the correct assigned LAN IP, but also includes a "NOTRAILERS" element I've never seen before. (UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST)

iwconfig shows the correct SSID.

The GUI tools (Wifi Radar and KWifiManager) both show that I'm connected to my local network with the correct local IP address and reasonable signal strength.

My router status page tells me that a computer with a MAC address that matches the wireless card is connected at the expected IP.

But...I can't access any web pages, browse any network shares, or ping the machine from this one (Destination Host Unreachable)

Firewall issue?  Stupid Vector newb mistake?  I like the look and feel of this distro, and it's nice and quick on my old P3.  Where do I need to look to resolve my problem?

"I have nothing more to say about this that is either relevant or true."

--Keith Olbermann
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:34:56 pm »

Can your ping other system in your LAN either using IP or hostname?
Can you ping www.google.com?
Maybe you can double check did you set up the DNS setting. For me, my ISP provide me with a static DNS and either I set it up inside my router or put statis DNS inside my client.
hbh154

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 05:42:12 pm »

I get a "sendmsg:  Operation not permitted" message when I attempt to ping any of the other systems from the VL box, and a "Destination Host Unreachable" message when pinging the VL machine.

I originally tried using DHCP, but got the unknown host messages for everything when I start Firefox or Konqueror.  Copying the DNS server addresses that my router shows gives me the same result.

--Keith Olbermann
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 07:25:25 pm »

can you ping your router?
hbh154

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 08:33:32 pm »

I can't ping the router, but viewing the router's status page from a different machine shows the VL computer as connected.  Correct MAC address for the card, correct IP address.

--Keith Olbermann
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 08:41:07 pm »

Did you enable the firewall in your VL? If yes, try to disable it from using VASM.
hbh154

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 09:01:40 pm »

After getting the konsole output

Firewall completely flushed!  Now running with no firewall.
Service firewall has been deactivated from run level 2345

Still same result.  I disconnected and reconnected the wireless connection, acquired my IP address and tried again to no avail.  Searching on this issue I found a forum thread for another distro where wlan0 wasn't recognized as an interface with internet permissions by the firewall.  I'm hoping it's this simple, but given the terminal output stating the firewall is no longer active, I'm at a loss.

Double-checked that filtering by MAC is not enabled in the router even though I know it isn't (dual-boot system with no wireless connectivity issues in XP).

--Keith Olbermann
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 09:03:35 pm »

pls post your ifconfig and iwconfig.....
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 09:13:46 pm »

The response to your ping sure sounds like a firewall/filtering issue at the router.  It also does sound like wireless is correctly configured in VL. 

I'd also like to see ifconfig and iwconfig output.  Do you have traceroute installed?  If so, what happens when you try to trace a path to an external site?  Where does the packet get dropped?  I'd bet it's at the router.  Output of traceroute would be really helpful too.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
hbh154

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 04:05:33 pm »

I'm copying this by hand, so if I leave out a critical section, my apologies (just let me know what important info I've omitted).

ifconfig produces this:

<loopback snipped>

wlan0
Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:09:5B:C3:95:11
inet addr:192.168.0.5  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
RX packets:53 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets: 198 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:4664 (4.5 KiB)  TX bytes:24235 (23.6 KiB)

<it's my understanding that the entries under wmaster0 aren't an issue, so I'll skip typing them.  If they're needed, please tell me>

iwconfig

<loopback and wmaster0 snipped>

wlan0

IEEE 802.11g  ESSID "Justicenet"
Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437GHz  Access Point:00:09:5B:C2:89:12
Bit Rate=54Mb/s  Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7  RTS thr:off  Fragment thr:2352 B
Encryption key:<my key, triple-checked for accuracy>
Link Quality=45/100  Signal level=-50dBm  Noise level=-79dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0  Missed beacon:0

Double-checked the router, nothing seems to be enabled to restrict access, Netgear WGT624v2 with latest firmware.  In the attached devices page it shows a machine with a MAC address of 00:09:5B:C3:95:11 at IP 192.168.0.5.

Just out of curiosity, I popped in the cd I just burned of the Fedora 10 beta and was able to browse the web and access my network shares as soon as I entered my key.

edit:  since there's been a reboot, I ran "service firewall stop", but the results are the same.
traceroute dies after vector.local with a !H host unreachable and three second timeouts.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 04:11:10 pm by hbh154 » Logged

--Keith Olbermann
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 04:15:04 pm »

I've had issues on my laptop where I have to bring down eth0 before my wireless (eth1) will work correctly - even though eth0 is not connected.  Perhaps you're having a similar issue.  At any rate this is all it takes:
as root: ifconfig eth0 down

Then I'm able to ping, and use the internet normally.

If it does not work you can bring back up eth0:
as root: ifconfig eth1 up
hbh154

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 04:23:43 pm »

Wired interface was removed on this pc years ago.  So "No such device".

--Keith Olbermann
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 05:08:11 pm »

I am not sure why, maybe you can try start all over again from VASM. Delete all the network setting and configure it again. Try to use eth1 instead of wlan0. I believe you can change that via VASM. Have a try, it is better then nothing...wish you all the best. Smiley

BTW, do you have any other wireless card? Maybe you want try another card. Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: