VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 01:08:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU temperatures not in /proc after motherboard replacement  (Read 892 times)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: October 03, 2008, 09:48:46 am »

Recently I replaced motherboards in my system. I am using VL 5.9 SOHO. I then re-ran vasm, hardware detect, and all seems mostly fine. However, I have conky running and I now notice that the cpu temp from sysfs which normally gets posted to /proc/ACPI is no longer there. I could use lm-sensors to get that info but I wonder why, with the same kernel this info is not found from the hardware. The new mobo has a sensor that works - I just wonder whether there is some ACPI glitch with the noew mobo. Any ideas on where to proceed with this would be appreciated.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 03:38:05 pm »

Hi Larry, in my humble experience is the way the motherboard is built. I did some research when I got my new box. I didn't find much documentation, but my best guess based in what I did find is: if your motherboard has sensors using the ISA bus, its lectures will be written in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone, but if the sensor is using a SMBus or I2C bus -as almost all newer computers do- you need extra kernel modules to access the information, which is what lm_sensors provides. The lm_sensors wiki has good info, even when this particular topic is not there, was very helpful when I found my new AMD temp couldn't be read from /proc as I used to do with my previous computer.

http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter1

Regards, Rodrigo

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: