VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: SeaMonkey and Newsfox addon.  (Read 1331 times)

Joe1962

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Joe1962's Website
SeaMonkey and Newsfox addon.
« on: October 01, 2008, 08:08:45 am »

The Newsfox addon was giving me problems in Linux, so I could only use it when in Windows. The dreaded enlarged bar at the bottom of the browser would show up after installing Newsfox (even in a new install of SeaMonkey with clean profile). Today I finally figured it out after realizing that it worked correctly as root (Newsfox has to be installed as root, so I tested SeaMonkey again as root after closing it). So that sounded like a permissions problem to me, and so it was. The permissions on /opt/seamonkey/lib/seamonkey-1.1.12/chrome/newsfox.jar was originally 400, which means no read privilege to group or others. Changing it to 444 or 644 works.

HTH someone with a similar issue.

EDIT: 444 means giving adding read privilege to group and others, while 644 also adds write privilege to root, which seems to be the default for other extensions, AFAICT.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 08:10:33 am by Joe1962 »
O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10